Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #3586
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks
 
HubbDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hubbardston, MA
Posts: 1,482

Deeper discounts...

We booked our vacation back in early Feb through a TA (Magical Vacations). The discount they offered seemed to beat even the 30% Visa one for rooms and tickets...

How do they do that? Can agencies book a big block of rooms for a lower rate?
__________________
Dreading mugginess
1996 WDW Off Property 2006 AS Movies 2011 WL2013 AS Sports/BC
HubbDave is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #3587
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,057

Public service announcement!

Yeah buddy, it's starting to get HOT in WDW!

This can only mean 1 thing....

IT IS TIME TO BRING YOUR REFILLABLE MUG INTO THE PARKS WITH YOU!

NO, YOU CAN'T REFILL THE MUGS FOR FREE in THE PARKS but YOU can STASH the left-overs of your ginourmous, park purchased beverages in the refillable mugs and keep them cool as you stroll on down the lanes at WDW. This includes the alcoholic beverages like the slushies and the beers! Um, um, Ummm! A nice, still cold beer, tucked away nicely in that refillable mug..... YUM!

Keep in mind if you are not on the dining plan or not purchasing a mug you can bring one from home to keep your beverages chilled as you stroll the parks.

Take it from ol' Ninja Mom, the Spaceship Earth ride was a whole heck of a lot more interesting enjoyed while sipping a Margarita from Mexico. Why heck, you can see Disney World in a whole new light when you enjoy the Ride/beverage combination I am advocating here!

So don't forget to stash those refillable mugs in your back pack or cinch sack or Hefty bag or whatever you roll with when you go to the parks!

The other tip I'm going to give you is that when you are ordering a meal at a counter service not everyone has to order the bucket of soda that is on the menu 'attached' to each "meal". You can order items "ala cart" and split them to save money. For a counter service meal we usually get 2 soda's and split them between 5 people and their refillable mugs. For us it's more than enough and if anyone gets thirsty later then they can just order another drink later in the afternoon or evening.

Now if you are on the dining plan you are kind of screwed because you paid for the full meal for each person and the full meal is what you will get. So bring YOUR refillable mug and stash your leftover beverages for leisurely sipping and strolling when the weather gets hot!

This is a public service announcement from Ninja Mom. Please stay hydrated, lubricated and placated while touring Disney parks! Don't drink and drive, drink and RIDE! Dehydration is no fun while you are on vacation. Please don't over do it on the alcoholic beverages as they can cause dehydration as well.




~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #3588
dismom75
Mouseketeer
 
dismom75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
If you book the day the discount comes out you may get a cheaper view but I wasn't able to get the discount on our trip except LV or higher.
What's the best way to know the day the discount comes out? Is there a particular thread that I should be subscribed to or a certain website I should be checking daily?
__________________
dismom75 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #3589
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,057

Ok I'm back, only this time with a question.

Where is the nearest best supermarket for a cab ride grocery run from the Epcot resort area? I'll be staying at POR in about a month and I plan on taking a cab from the resort to a good supermarket on my arrival day. POR and BC/YC are near enough to each other for comparison purposes.

The Goodings store at the Crossroads mall is getting nailed in reviews as being tawdry and expensive. I want something that is relatively close, has decent prices (but I'm not expecting miracles) and is NOT a Walgreens or mini mart. I'm talking about a close supermarket that the average Joes go to, but is not in the hinterlands and a $75 dollar cab round trip away.

Don't even mention Garden grocer or the other shopper services. I tried Garden grocer on my last trip and they seriously dropped the ball with their disgusting produce selection and crushed donuts. I know everybody raves about them but I can't think of a single good reason someone chose to put brown and withered lemons in my bag. Garden grocer is in Ninja Mom's dog house BIG TIME and the boys will tell you THAT is NEVER a good thing!

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful ideas!



~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3590
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Public service announcement!

Yeah buddy, it's starting to get HOT in WDW!

This can only mean 1 thing....

IT IS TIME TO BRING YOUR REFILLABLE MUG INTO THE PARKS WITH YOU!

NO, YOU CAN'T REFILL THE MUGS FOR FREE in THE PARKS but YOU can STASH the left-overs of your ginourmous, park purchased beverages in the refillable mugs and keep them cool as you stroll on down the lanes at WDW. This includes the alcoholic beverages like the slushies and the beers! Um, um, Ummm! A nice, still cold beer, tucked away nicely in that refillable mug..... YUM!

Keep in mind if you are not on the dining plan or not purchasing a mug you can bring one from home to keep your beverages chilled as you stroll the parks.

Take it from ol' Ninja Mom, the Spaceship Earth ride was a whole heck of a lot more interesting enjoyed while sipping a Margarita from Mexico. Why heck, you can see Disney World in a whole new light when you enjoy the Ride/beverage combination I am advocating here!

So don't forget to stash those refillable mugs in your back pack or cinch sack or Hefty bag or whatever you roll with when you go to the parks!

The other tip I'm going to give you is that when you are ordering a meal at a counter service not everyone has to order the bucket of soda that is on the menu 'attached' to each "meal". You can order items "ala cart" and split them to save money. For a counter service meal we usually get 2 soda's and split them between 5 people and their refillable mugs. For us it's more than enough and if anyone gets thirsty later then they can just order another drink later in the afternoon or evening.

Now if you are on the dining plan you are kind of screwed because you paid for the full meal for each person and the full meal is what you will get. So bring YOUR refillable mug and stash your leftover beverages for leisurely sipping and strolling when the weather gets hot!

This is a public service announcement from Ninja Mom. Please stay hydrated, lubricated and placated while touring Disney parks! Don't drink and drive, drink and RIDE! Dehydration is no fun while you are on vacation. Please don't over do it on the alcoholic beverages as they can cause dehydration as well.




~NM

Thanks for all your amazing tips!! They will be put to good use in T-minus

8 DAYS!!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #3591
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,537

Ninja Mom - That was the most fun refillable mug post I've ever read! I have scoffed in the past at people lugging around those mugs. Now, I am scheming about secret margaritas on Spaceship Earth .
skater is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #3592
Kimmy2Disney
Can't wait to be back in the world!!
 
Kimmy2Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Ok I'm back, only this time with a question.

Where is the nearest best supermarket for a cab ride grocery run from the Epcot resort area? I'll be staying at POR in about a month and I plan on taking a cab from the resort to a good supermarket on my arrival day. POR and BC/YC are near enough to each other for comparison purposes.

The Goodings store at the Crossroads mall is getting nailed in reviews as being tawdry and expensive. I want something that is relatively close, has decent prices (but I'm not expecting miracles) and is NOT a Walgreens or mini mart. I'm talking about a close supermarket that the average Joes go to, but is not in the hinterlands and a $75 dollar cab round trip away.

Don't even mention Garden grocer or the other shopper services. I tried Garden grocer on my last trip and they seriously dropped the ball with their disgusting produce selection and crushed donuts. I know everybody raves about them but I can't think of a single good reason someone chose to put brown and withered lemons in my bag. Garden grocer is in Ninja Mom's dog house BIG TIME and the boys will tell you THAT is NEVER a good thing!

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful ideas!



~NM
Last trip we drove to a super Walmart from POFQ-- it was pretty close-- under 5 miles and less than 10 min drive- so I'd imagine the cab ride wouldn't be too unreasonable and you should be able to get anything you need there.
__________________

Kimmy2Disney is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #3593
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks
 
HubbDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hubbardston, MA
Posts: 1,482

We only use Garden Grocer fir things like water, cereal, chips. Would not consider them for produce or other fresh stuff

Isn't there a Publix kinda close?
__________________
Dreading mugginess
1996 WDW Off Property 2006 AS Movies 2011 WL2013 AS Sports/BC
HubbDave is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #3594
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Thanks for all your amazing tips!! They will be put to good use in T-minus

8 DAYS!!
I was thinking of all of you who have trips coming up soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
Ninja Mom - That was the most fun refillable mug post I've ever read! I have scoffed in the past at people lugging around those mugs. Now, I am scheming about secret margaritas on Spaceship Earth .
This is what's so great about this thread. You find all sorts of information here that can really make your trip more enjoyable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy2Disney View Post
Last trip we drove to a super Walmart from POFQ-- it was pretty close-- under 5 miles and less than 10 min drive- so I'd imagine the cab ride wouldn't be too unreasonable and you should be able to get anything you need there.
OooOOOoooh! SUPER Walmart! Ninja Mom Likes!

Thanks!! Keep 'em coming people!!

~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #3595
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda
 
jenjersnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
We booked our vacation back in early Feb through a TA (Magical Vacations). The discount they offered seemed to beat even the 30% Visa one for rooms and tickets...

How do they do that? Can agencies book a big block of rooms for a lower rate?
Yes, they book blocks of rooms under "group sales". Group sales park tickets are nicely discounted too. My current TA rate looks pretty unbeatable at this point. I was hoping to re-book to get garden view or get free dining (which would be almost exactly the same cost as my TA rate but it is just easier) but I don't think October is going to have a better discount than September and I REALLY don't see free dining being extended.
__________________
Jen, mom to three

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #3596
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda
 
jenjersnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom75 View Post
I realize that the discount has to be available in the category that you'd like to book. But, is it common, these days, that it would have to be Lagoon View or higher? If so, I'm a bit surprised by that considering it IS already a deluxe resort. I know we booked a room discount at the Yacht Club a few years ago with no problem (standard view). But, it sounds like you're saying it's not as easy to do that these days. Again, though, I could "maybe" see them being more restrictive at a Value or Moderate resort...but this is already a Deluxe! I'm now wondering if I have to give up my "dreams" of getting some sort of discount at all.
Standard and garden views get booked first. There are fewer of them than lagoon/pool view and they are less expensive so they are popular. If bookings are high, then they don't need to offer a discount for that room category or they will limit rooms. I am not sure how common it is - or will be in the future - but it definitely seems like YC & BC are having a very busy fall. I have mentioned it here before but I was unable to book even a rack rate garden view at BC for October back in late January. I think bookings warranted limiting discounts during that time period.
__________________
Jen, mom to three

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #3597
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda
 
jenjersnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 4,525

NinjaMom, do you know I lug my mug into the parks every single day for maximum caffeine intake BUT IT NEVER OCCURRED TO PUT MY MARGARITA INTO IT?! Brilliant, thank you!

Oh, and we have always gone to the Winn-Dixie on Apopka-Vineland just up the way from Goodings. It isn't as snazzy as the Publixes but is just fine. I do think it is the actual closest decent store to POR.
__________________
Jen, mom to three

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04

Last edited by jenjersnap; 05-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
jenjersnap is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #3598
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks
 
HubbDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hubbardston, MA
Posts: 1,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater
Ninja Mom - That was the most fun refillable mug post I've ever read! I have scoffed in the past at people lugging around those mugs. Now, I am scheming about secret margaritas on Spaceship Earth .
Secret Margaritas could almost make.Maelstrom enjoyable...almost
__________________
Dreading mugginess
1996 WDW Off Property 2006 AS Movies 2011 WL2013 AS Sports/BC
HubbDave is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #3599
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Secret Margaritas could almost make.Maelstrom enjoyable...almost
I might ride it over and over again next time . I could go anywhere with my secret margarita! The possibilities are endless. Every Disney trip has a theme. The next one just might be Secret Margaritas!!!
skater is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #3600
JediBonas
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 532

I see a lot of talk on a few threads about Green Grocer, anyone have an opinion on if it would be worth it or if I should just ship stuff to our resort (YC). I was thinking we'd need diapers (2 sizes and swim diapers), some cereal and stuff for breakfast/snacks and milk. I was thinking we could even pack everything but the milk but not sure if its worth it.
__________________
JediBonas is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: