Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
dobball23
Mouseketeer

Best Place to Stay with this Family Mix

The following people are going to Disney World for 1 week (Saturday-to-Saturday).

Mom (37)
Dad (38)
Daughter (8)
Son (5)
Uncle (34)
Aunt (36)

Where should they stay? I would like an answer for cheapest accommodation on property, best value accommodation on property (might be a little more expensive, but is nicer) and your preferred choice on property (within reason...no ultra-expensive suite at Grand Floridian suggestion).
dobball23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Two rooms at a value resort would be the most inexpensive. Two rooms at a moderate resort would be more expensive, but then they'd get queen beds instead of just full sized beds.

I think they could do a suite at AoA or the All Star that has suites, but to me that is just too crowded for 4 adults and two kids. Two adults and 4 kids is a different story.

It's possible that they could rent points for a DVC property for a reasonable price, so I would look into that as well. Cancellation policy is much different, however, from a direct booking with WDW.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I would consider renting points at OKW for a 2 bdrm thru David's. Good luck.
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; SSR & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2015:
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

How close are the families? Do they want to sleep in the same room or definitely be separate?

The cabins at Fort WIlderness sleep 6. Mom, Dad and kids could have bedroom and Aunt and Uncle on Murphy bed. Full kitchen is great.

Next option is ASMu family suire, Aunt and Uncle in BR and parents and kids in LR. Two bathrooms is the draw here.

Then it's DVC villas or two rooms at any resort.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Renting points for a 2 bedroom villa.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

With that many adults I would do 2 rooms. Technically they can fit in an All Star Family Suite, but one couple would be getting the short end of the stick.

There is one bedroom with a queen bed, and the rest of the bedding is fold outs in the front room area. If it wouldn't be a big deal to the mom and dad, the aunt and uncle could get the bedroom and everyone else could sleep in the front room.

If they would want a preferred room location at the value resorts, depending on time of year sometimes the family suite is cheaper than 2 rooms. Plus you then get a kitchenette, which can be used as a great way to save money. Eating easy meals in the room is a lot cheaper than eating out.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Wendy5055
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobball23 View Post
The following people are going to Disney World for 1 week (Saturday-to-Saturday).

Mom (37)
Dad (38)
Daughter (8)
Son (5)
Uncle (34)
Aunt (36)

Where should they stay? I would like an answer for cheapest accommodation on property, best value accommodation on property (might be a little more expensive, but is nicer) and your preferred choice on property (within reason...no ultra-expensive suite at Grand Floridian suggestion).
I would stay at a value. We had our grand gathering group stay at POP and as we had a dining plan a kitchenette area was of no interest. A few if us did get the mini refrigerator as the kid just had cereal in the rooms.

Hope this helps!!

Contemporary, July 2014
Wilderness Lodge, July 2013
Grand Floridian, July 2011
Polynesian, April 2010
Grand Floridian, May 2009
POP Century Aug/Sept 2008
POP Century October 2005
POFQ 1998
Offsite 1995
Offsite 1st Time EVER WDW 1985!!!
Wendy5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Renting DVC points for first timers who don't know the ins and outs of DVC stays would not be my advice. I'd go with two value resort rooms or two POR Alligator Bayou rooms so they would have the murphy bed for one of the two kids to sleep on.

If they rent DVC points, they don't get daily housekeeping (they are booking a timeshare stay). They don't have an possibility of cancellation if they can't go at the last minute and there are no refunds. Plus they have to decide who gets the master bedroom with the king sized bed and who gets the second bedroom with queen sized beds or one queen and one double sleeper sofa. They will not want a one bedroom villa because they won't fit in a one bedroom villa (they sleep five max).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
The cabins at Fort WIlderness sleep 6. Mom, Dad and kids could have bedroom and Aunt and Uncle on Murphy bed. Full kitchen is great.

would go with fw cabins too - it fits your group.

would not recommend AoA or All star music suites - just because some of the adults would have to sleep on things designed for children.

otherwise it is a 2-bedroom DVC villa - expensive. yea they are building one at the GF.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
would go with fw cabins too - it fits your group.

would not recommend AoA or All star music suites - just because some of the adults would have to sleep on things designed for children.

otherwise it is a 2-bedroom DVC villa - expensive. yea they are building one at the GF.
I don't think the fold outs at the All Star Music suites are designed for children. I've actually slept on one, and had no problems with how comfortable it was, or the size of it. And I don't see how the murphy bed at a Wilderness Cabin is any more adult friendly. Plus, you would then have all 6 people sharing one bathroom. No thanks!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

the murphy bed is a bed. same size, same height.

ottoman, table, love seat - are not really beds - so to me a completely different experience.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
dobball23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the information/suggestions everyone. Very helpful!
dobball23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: