Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #76
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post
I know bugs are a part of life. But I live in Canada and we don't have big bugs everywhere. I can understand why OP was upset about the bug. It would have creeped me out too. I understand its Florida and its gonna happen, just hope it never happens to me
Seriously though I would have called to have the bug removed as well because I would have been too scared to touch it
EXACTLY. Good for you guys for being from the south and all but some of us are a little out of our element. I didn't expect a refund but I'm sure I wasn't very good at hiding how freaked out I was from the CM, so I'm thinking that might be why they offered?

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #77
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaj1431 View Post
Really! Just about every other comment on this post has been full of sarcasm, which I consider rude. Sarcasm is defined as a cutting often ironic remark intending to wound or to make one a but of a joke. This post is full of that and over what???? people taking offense to others supposedly (no one knows whether it was or was not a roach other than the OP) mistaking a roach for a "palmetto bug."
That is the thing about message boards. The only tone we hear is the one in our heads. What you are reading as sarcasm I am reading as trying to joke about the subject. I have found that most posters do not mean any offence, and sometimes I am just reading things into the words that may not be meant.

Trust me, if the thread was getting out of hand or nasty, the Moderators would step in. You can't control how others post, only on how you react to it. Someone else stated that if they were offended by a post, they tried to read it with another tone, and that helps them to see that maybe no offence was intended. I think that is great advice.

Btw, Palmetto Bug--Huge stinkin Bug! Cockroaches--Small, icky, nasty bugs.
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #78
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaj1431

Okay you don't have to resort to sarcasm.

There already was a post on here by a wife of an ER doc backing up what I said about the ears and that it happens more frequently then we think.

I responded to the OP saying she had a roach in her room. She said nothing about a palmetto bug. Relax!
Bocaj, I apologize if my comment offended you or anyone else. I really was only trying to be light hearted.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #79
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

The bottom line is simply this is Florida, you are going to find bugs and critters all over the place, all the time. There is really no way to remove them (especially the bugs) 100%.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #80
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I think if you are paying $400 a night and you saw a huge roach and now it has you paranoid, there is nothing wrong (IMO) with asking the manager for a discount. You aren't paying that kind of money to be paranoid, wondering if there are lots more roaches in the room. If you asked for a discount and to be moved to another room, it really is no biggie. Conversely, if you just want to ask to be moved to another room and no discount that's fine-- just try and have a good time and forget about that roach. You are in Disney, the happiest place on earth. Also, if it were ME and that scenario happened, I would probably have taken a pic of it then showed the manager, and asked that I move rooms just for my peace of mind.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #81
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
You are more likely to have a mosquito in your room at Disney than a palmetto bug, and if you wouldn't ask for compensation for a mosquito then you shouldn't ask for compensation for a palmetto bug.
This exactly. I can't understand the mentality of asking for compensation because a bug got into your room. Now if you picked up the mattress and found a nest of them, absolutely, but to think Disney is at fault in any way for letting a bug fly into your room just seems crazy to me. Don't you guys get bugs in your home from time to time? It's impossible to prevent them 100%.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #82
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledisneyprncess View Post
I think if you are paying $400 a night and you saw a huge roach and now it has you paranoid, there is nothing wrong (IMO) with asking the manager for a discount. You aren't paying that kind of money to be paranoid, wondering if there are lots more roaches in the room. If you asked for a discount and to be moved to another room, it really is no biggie. Conversely, if you just want to ask to be moved to another room and no discount that's fine-- just try and have a good time and forget about that roach. You are in Disney, the happiest place on earth. Also, if it were ME and that scenario happened, I would probably have taken a pic of it then showed the manager, and asked that I move rooms just for my peace of mind.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!
Just to play Devil's Advocate:

If you are paying $79 for a room, by your logic, one should "expect" roaches? You can get a palmetto bug in a $1500/night room too..they aren't considered a dirty bug. Now, if I found a nest of them infested in my room, that would indicate to me that there is a cleaning issue. But he could have hitchhiked in on a box, or luggage or more likely, from the drain.
When you plant lush foliage around a resort, they will get in. You can't bomb the hotel because then people with chemical aversions would have an issue. I would much rather find one bug in my room then expose my children to harmful chemicals. (and I am not even an anti-poison person)
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #83
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Hubby is an ER doc, as much as it grosses us out he says it's a lot more common than you would think.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #84
starousse
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness I've never seen any roaches staying on Disney property, however we did have a bunch of small worms in our room while staying at the CBR years ago. We had mentioned it to the front desk a couple times and they switched our room and then comped us for two nights of our trip. Even though we didn't ask for any compensation, I thought it was a very nice gesture on behalf of Disney to do that.

About 20 years ago, when I was 15, I stayed with my aunt off property at the Buena Vista Palace. That place was swarming with roaches. They were everywhere. In the room, the restaurants, at the pool, the lobby. We were comped nothing and checked out the next day.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #85
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Bocaj, I apologize if my comment offended you or anyone else. I really was only trying to be light hearted.
I really appreciate your explaining that!

I guess that is what's so difficult about these forums at times, not having someones tone to go along with the words.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #86
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That is the thing about message boards. The only tone we hear is the one in our heads. What you are reading as sarcasm I am reading as trying to joke about the subject. I have found that most posters do not mean any offence, and sometimes I am just reading things into the words that may not be meant.

Trust me, if the thread was getting out of hand or nasty, the Moderators would step in. You can't control how others post, only on how you react to it. Someone else stated that if they were offended by a post, they tried to read it with another tone, and that helps them to see that maybe no offence was intended. I think that is great advice.

Btw, Palmetto Bug--Huge stinkin Bug! Cockroaches--Small, icky, nasty bugs.
I never insinuated anyone was being nasty or out of hand. I said there was a lot of sarcasm, which there has been. There is a difference between light hearted joking and a joke wrapped in sarcasm. There have been both on this thread!

There also has been quite a few posts which, have chosen to ignore certain parts of the original texts, just so they can make their point. When people do that of course you are going to frustrate others.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #87
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaj1431 View Post
I really appreciate your explaining that!

I guess that is what's so difficult about these forums at times, not having someones tone to go along with the words.
You're welcome!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #88
LoriZH
The GooGoo Dolls rock!!!!
No longer feuding with the McCoys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I'm a new member, and I have to ask...is every thread this hostile? I didn't see anywhere that the OP was demanding money back, and everyone is berating her as if she is asking to bring the monorail home. If this is par for the course, I think I'm going to disable my account.
I've been here since 1999 and the only polite way I can put it is...yup. You just sort of read them, don't respond and move on

I'm glad I read almost all the responses because bugs creep me out, I was in the Bahama's once and I'm a city girl, when I saw a Palmetto Bug for the first time I nearly passed out lol. I threw my suitcase on top of it until they sent someone up to kill it and drag it's carcass out of there. By the time the maintenance guy came up (about 30 minutes later) the bug nearly had the suitcase off him he was so big It creeped me out and I think I slept with one eye open the rest of my vacation lol. I wouldn't like the fact that you found it in the shower, yikes, those remind me of real roaches. Anyway, some of the responses were funny and made me laugh after I got creeped out, glad I kept reading

Been booed by Daninalismama, Thank you!
LoriZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #89
summerlady
DIS Veteran

A couple of years ago at POFQ I moved the dirty clothes hamper that I had brought and a HUGE roach (or something, because I had never seen a roach before or since) scuttled away along the tile of the floor of the dressing room area. I screamed. That was that and I didn't see another one during our stay. I didn't even think to complain, but I thought about that bug .... a lot.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~
summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: