Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #91
dockarl
Earning My Ears

Hi All,
We are on this cruise too! Myself, DH, DS (aged 13), DDs (aged 11, 8 and 5). Have paid for the cruise in full now and we are just waiting for our window to open regarding booking Palo and Spa. Someone said they had booked their Palo evening already, which day is best? Thinking of doing Monaco, Rome, Naples and Pisa on our own as having 4 children the cost soon mounts up! Any information greatly received. So excited as this is our 1st med. cruise but our 3rd cruise in total, been on Disney Wonder and Disney Dream both Bahamas trips.
dockarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #92
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockarl View Post
Hi All,
We are on this cruise too! Myself, DH, DS (aged 13), DDs (aged 11, 8 and 5). Have paid for the cruise in full now and we are just waiting for our window to open regarding booking Palo and Spa. Someone said they had booked their Palo evening already, which day is best? Thinking of doing Monaco, Rome, Naples and Pisa on our own as having 4 children the cost soon mounts up! Any information greatly received. So excited as this is our 1st med. cruise but our 3rd cruise in total, been on Disney Wonder and Disney Dream both Bahamas trips.
Welcome!!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #93
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockarl View Post
Hi All,
Hi, welcome to the group! We have two daughters, ages 13 and 15 (will be 16 by time the cruise gets here). We are traveling with my husband's parents and his brother. In Villefranche, we have reserved a tour with Ingrid, who was very highly recommended on CC. In Rome and Naples/Pompeii, we are using Can't Be Missed Tours. If you are going to do it on your own (and with four kids, I understand perfectly!) I recommend this thread in which a couple of women, their pre-teen daughters and one of the women's parents and inlaws did the trip completely DIY. Her trip report is excellent describing exactly what they did. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2485312

There is also another thread about Med cruises in 2013 in general and darned if I can find it now but it's got some good info on it.

JoAnn
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #94
dockarl
Earning My Ears

Thanks Texasgirl29, the link has some great photos which I can show the kids and it is reassuring to know it is possible to 'do it yourself'. Tomorrow our window opens for Palo and Spa bookings. Getting very excited now!
dockarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #95
Twin mummy
Earning My Ears

New on here

Just thought I would cruise the web and came across this great thread.
Thanks guys for all your wonderful ideas/comments as I have never been on a cruise and looking forward to it. 4 cabins with family and my 3 year old twin boys - I am soo excited!
Twin mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #96
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Just booked brunch at Palo on the second sea day. Haven't ever done brunch before although we've eaten dinner there on both the Magic and the Fantasy.

If you have an iPhone/iPad (sorry, don't know about other smartphones/tablets), there is an app for Sagrada Familia with absolutely gorgeous 360 virtual tours of the interior. It's free. Very inspiring.

What other things are y'all planning to do in Barcelona? We leave Dallas on tues the 6th and arrive about noon on Wednesday. I want to take he HOHO bus either that afternoon or the next day. So much to see there I hardly know where to start. Anyone been to or plan on going to Montserrat?

JoAnn

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #97
CBEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
Just booked brunch at Palo on the second sea day. Haven't ever done brunch before although we've eaten dinner there on both the Magic and the Fantasy.

If you have an iPhone/iPad (sorry, don't know about other smartphones/tablets), there is an app for Sagrada Familia with absolutely gorgeous 360 virtual tours of the interior. It's free. Very inspiring.

What other things are y'all planning to do in Barcelona? We leave Dallas on tues the 6th and arrive about noon on Wednesday. I want to take he HOHO bus either that afternoon or the next day. So much to see there I hardly know where to start. Anyone been to or plan on going to Montserrat?

JoAnn
We're booked for brunch the same day - maybe we'll see you there! My favorite meal at Palo!

For Barcelona, we booked a tour with Barcelona Day Tours that goes to Montserrat. We don't get in until Thursday afternoon, so will do this tour on Friday.

After the cruise, we don't leave for home until Sunday so we booked dinner at El Tablao de Carmen to see the flamenco dancing (this is where Adventures by Disney goes so we assumed it would be a good one). Also, its located in Poble Espanyol which is suppose to be an intereting Spanish village to walk around.
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #98
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post

We're booked for brunch the same day - maybe we'll see you there! My favorite meal at Palo!
What time? I signed up for 10. I'm an early riser, so i will have been awake for hours by then. There's always so much to do....
JoAnn

Old 05-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #99
CBEB

Quote:
What time? I signed up for 10. I'm an early riser, so i will have been awake for hours by then. There's always so much to do....
JoAnn
10! We will definitely see you there!

Also, we definitely should figure out a plan to meet in TX or Barcelona before the cruise to introduce DD16's! Ideas?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #100
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post
10! We will definitely see you there!

Also, we definitely should figure out a plan to meet in TX or Barcelona before the cruise to introduce DD16's! Ideas?
It does make sense to meet up in Texas since we are probably only about 2 hours or less away! Let me think.... I hope our spouses don't think we are crazy.... but then, I've dragged my spouse to meet people from the adoption world that I met over the internet before. He goes along with it pretty good.

Let's think it over.... should be something akin to a "coffee date" we can do!

JoAnn

Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #101
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Are you also getting tickets for the Colosseum and the Vatican/Sistine Chapel? Ruins of Pompeii?

Actually, I'm set to book, just waiting to hear from my inlaws.

Just looked at their website and Aug. 14 and 15 are not available. Sent them an email -- hope we can work it out!
Hi there, I believe someone mentioned right at the start of this thread that the Sistine Chapel was closed as it's a holiday in Italy. Double check as I could be wrong, I just remember someone saying it at the start.

Not sure if it affects the Vatican too.

ETA: This from their website
Closed:
Sunday (except the last Sunday of every month, free entrance from 9 am to 12.30 pm; the Museums close at 2 pm unless it coincides with Easter Sunday, the 29th of June (St. Peter and Paul), 25th and 26th of December (Christmas and St. Stephen)
January 1, 6
February 11
March 19, 31 (Easter)
April 1 (Easter Monday)
May 1
June 29 (St. Peter and Paul)
August 14, 15
November 1
December 25, 26
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015

Last edited by bats; 05-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #102
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Hi there, I believe someone mentioned right at the start of this thread that the Sistine Chapel was closed as it's a holiday in Italy. Double check as I could be wrong, I just remember someone saying it at the start.
Thanks! I will email Can't Be Missed Tours and check on it.

Update: I received this from Petro at Can't Be Missed Tours: Thank you very much for your email. I am extremely sorry, you are correct that the Vatican museum is closed on August 14 this year. It was a human error that was made during our online scheduling that showed it was available for booking. We will still be to see the Basilica of St. Peter's that day. However, we will refund your Vatican museum tickets (20 euro adult/ 12 euro children) and instead we will extend our tour in the area of the Colosseum/Roman Forum, with entry to those sites available at the price of 13.50 euro each. The rest of the sites will follow the published itinerary.
We will still be hosting the tour then with these modifications. I've already noted it on the booking calendar and will be contacting the others who reserved for August 14 now.

JoAnn

Last edited by texasgirl29; 05-14-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #103
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Thanks! I will email Can't Be Missed Tours and check on it.

Update: I received this from Petro at Can't Be Missed Tours: Thank you very much for your email. I am extremely sorry, you are correct that the Vatican museum is closed on August 14 this year. It was a human error that was made during our online scheduling that showed it was available for booking. We will still be to see the Basilica of St. Peter's that day. However, we will refund your Vatican museum tickets (20 euro adult/ 12 euro children) and instead we will extend our tour in the area of the Colosseum/Roman Forum, with entry to those sites available at the price of 13.50 euro each. The rest of the sites will follow the published itinerary.
We will still be hosting the tour then with these modifications. I've already noted it on the booking calendar and will be contacting the others who reserved for August 14 now.

JoAnn
Glad you got it sorted quickly. We did the DCL Med cruise in 2011 and took a private tour for Rome. The Colosseum was great and well worth getting the 13.50Eu tickets in advance.
The Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel were good, but not quite as awe inspiring as I thought they would be. You can buy stamps inside Vatican City that have the Pope on .. not sure if you'll be able to get them from St Peters Basilica area, but ask your guide as I'm sure he/she will know. It's a nice thing to send a postcard from there.

Are you doing the Trevi Fountain on your tour? Now that was fantastic!! In the middle of a crowded, narrow street .. you turn a corner and it's there in front of you, this massive fountain!

In 2011, the temperature on our Rome day was over 100 degrees .. it was so hot we felt like we were melting. If you've never been to Europe before, it's not like a Caribbean heat, it's a stifling, can't breathe heat! Take fans, take water, take a little umbrella if you can fit it in your luggage .. if not, let me know and I'll bring some cheapie ones over from the UK with me and give you them onboard. If you have anything similar to a refillable mug from Disney, try to bring that and fill it with ice before leaving the ship for your excursions .. nice ice cold water within an hour!

Last thing .. order room service dead early .. sandwiches, cookies, wraps, fruit, pastries. It will save you from having to buy snacks in the touristy places.
See you all soon
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #104
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post

Are you doing the Trevi Fountain on your tour? Now that was fantastic!! In the middle of a crowded, narrow street .. you turn a corner and it's there in front of you, this massive fountain!

In 2011, the temperature on our Rome day was over 100 degrees .. it was so hot we felt like we were melting. If you've never been to Europe before, it's not like a Caribbean heat, it's a stifling, can't breathe heat! Take fans, take water, take a little umbrella if you can fit it in your luggage ....... If you have anything similar to a refillable mug from Disney, try to bring that and fill it with ice before leaving the ship for your excursions .. nice ice cold water within an hour!
Yes, we are going to see the Trevi Fountain (Tre-VEE or Tray-Vi?) My soon-to-be 16 yo DD says it's the "Lizzie McGuire fountain" from the TV show on the Disney Channel when Lizzie went to Rome. That got her attention!

I live in Central Texas, the land of heat and humidity, so I'm hoping we can cope with the heat. Last year at WDW I made everyone in our family these little neck wrap things with water absorbing crystals in them that keep your neck cool but other than my inlaws, I was the only one who would wear it. It worked though! I swore I would never go to WDW in the summer again. We do have plastic mugs from WDW dining plan last summer -- that would be a good thing to take.

I bought packing cubes today! Watched a couple of videos about how to pack a carry-on. I may or may not actually carry on my suitcase but I got a new little carry-on size for Mother's Day and I'm working on how to pack smart.

JoAnn

Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #105
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Yes, we are going to see the Trevi Fountain (Tre-VEE or Tray-Vi?) My soon-to-be 16 yo DD says it's the "Lizzie McGuire fountain" from the TV show on the Disney Channel when Lizzie went to Rome. That got her attention!

I live in Central Texas, the land of heat and humidity, so I'm hoping we can cope with the heat. Last year at WDW I made everyone in our family these little neck wrap things with water absorbing crystals in them that keep your neck cool but other than my inlaws, I was the only one who would wear it. It worked though! I swore I would never go to WDW in the summer again. We do have plastic mugs from WDW dining plan last summer -- that would be a good thing to take.

I bought packing cubes today! Watched a couple of videos about how to pack a carry-on. I may or may not actually carry on my suitcase but I got a new little carry-on size for Mother's Day and I'm working on how to pack smart.

JoAnn
It's Trev-ee for the fountain!
Maybe you should bring lots of the neck wraps and sell them onboard to all of the silly British people who insist on baking themselves!!

I've never seen packing cubes .. mind you, I tend to travel light so probably wouldn't need them. Are they just to keep your clothes tidy and in little compartments?

Only 80 odd days to go now and I am soooo looking forward to some heat. I didn't see that you were in Texas as I normally Dis from my IPad ... you know more about heat than anyone I guess!
Hope you are not near that tornado that we have seen on the TV here .. frightening stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: