Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
TheMermaidII
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterCricket View Post
The barbed wire is what's bothering me the most. That's not used in most backstage areas. This looks like it's offsite or at a remote storage location onsite.

Also shown but not pictured here is a stripped CTX rover, a dumbo car (good condition), a stripped monorail hull segment and a TL speedway go-cart (good condition). If that CTX shell wasn't there I would feel better about it but that can mean it's not at WDW at all. Why would a DHS part be anywhere near any MK stuff??

I've looked for the building(s) using bing/google sat views and can't locate them.
This is the shop area behind Magic Kingdom. Due to the creative nature and the value of construction materials and expensive equipment, the entire area is surrounded by barbed wire fences. They maintain the show pieces and ride elements for all 4 parks, waterparks, hotels, and DTD. This area backs up to the drydock area for MK watercraft. The floats have been sitting here for over two years in the same kind of tents you can rent from rent-a-center which provide little shelter from the elements. They've been moved back and forth between the tents and the Ferryboat maintenance shed (the tall building pictured above) occasionally for evaluation and their wooden supports and electrical systems have not responded well to the elements. On my last Keys to the Kingdom tour a year or so ago, I noticed that several spectro floats had shared the back of the parade building with MSEP, which might explain why a few floats look in better shape than others.
TheMermaidII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

MermaidII, welcome!
Sounds like you know what you are talking about, and we truly appreciate hearing from those who really know.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Oh Mylanta! Was that a FANTASIA FLOAT?!?!?!?! SO sad I never got to see this!! MSEP seems to be the exact same now as it was when I was a kid (or at least what I remember) I love and hate that it seems the same... maybe an update with some more movies thrown in? From what I have seen/read Spectro seemed to incorporate more movies & themes than MSEP
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
Gingerg11
I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Saw them last Oct

On the KTTK Tour. They were under cover off stage in the same covered shelters in the picture and in another warehouse type building directly next to it. If I recall correctly, it was behind PotC, but across the little road. We accessed the backstage area where the parade comes out next to Splash Mtn. They looked fine then.

If you ever have the opportunity, take the tour, it was very interesting.
Gingerg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

The two areas mentioned are very different locations. The current float house is in fact behind Splash Mountain but it is not this building (flat vs. sloped roof for starters and curtain walls). Ferryboat maintenence in on Facilities way to the Norteast of MK. This structure pictured isn't there anywhere I can see from sat view in either location. The building layout and construction doesn't match anything that is in view in that area that I can see. I also still don't see any barbed fenced-in areas backstage. Does someone else want to take a shot and try and identify it using birds eye from Bing or other sat view? I wish I posted the other pics along with these since they showed the surrounding structures way better. I cannot retrieve them anymore
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Destination America (A discovery channel I didn't know I had) ran a Disney travel week during primetime last week. One of the episodes had a segment on Spectromagic. Disney might want to partner with them to update the shows since Spectro isn't likely to make a return any time soon.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

I was fortunate enough to have snagged good quality videos of our last visits to WDW where Spectromagic was still running, so that will be a "nice to have." I'm not a huge parade person, but its sad to hear they've let the thing simply ruin due to inattentiveness. That's a waste of time, money, and resources, even if they never brought back the parade itself. Just so "unDisney."

It appears that the general theme of information surrounding the apparent demise of this particular parade is that the floats were not maintained properly, essentially allowed to ruin/rust beyond repair. I can't help but wonder if this lack of maintenance, which I suspect was discovered some months ago, was all part of the broader issues we've heard of (here and on other boards) that led to the forcing out of the WDW parks president a few weeks (months?) ago? Not saying this issue was a specific cause, but merely another instance of some broader issues indicating managerial neglect.

I mean, we've all heard stories about at least a perception of a drop in park maintenance, food quality at restaurants, customer service, attendance concerns at Epcot, the well-documented DTD problems, so part of me just wonders if the lazy oversight that led to the Spectromagic floats just being wasted/allowed to ruin just isn't another symptom of that broader management failure issue...
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
daber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
Oh Mylanta! Was that a FANTASIA FLOAT?!?!?!?! SO sad I never got to see this!! MSEP seems to be the exact same now as it was when I was a kid (or at least what I remember) I love and hate that it seems the same... maybe an update with some more movies thrown in? From what I have seen/read Spectro seemed to incorporate more movies & themes than MSEP
It wasn't just a Fantasia float, it was a whole section of the parade with the music from Fantasia. There was a Pastorial symphony float with Diana shooting her bow, the flying Pegasuses with moving wings. Then there was a Dance of the Hours float with Ben Ali Gator holding and spinning Hycynthia Hippo and the rest of the float were CMs dressed as Ostrich ballerinas. Finally there was the Night on Bald Mountain float which towered over the crowd. The mountain would spout steam and then the mountain would transform into Chernabog. A truly unbelieveable float. The length of the float would triple as the mountain became his wings with his eyes learing at you while gripping the lip of the mountain.
IMHO the best float Disney has ever built.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daber View Post
It wasn't just a Fantasia float, it was a whole section of the parade with the music from Fantasia. There was a Pastorial symphony float with Diana shooting her bow, the flying Pegasuses with moving wings. Then there was a Dance of the Hours float with Ben Ali Gator holding and spinning Hycynthia Hippo and the rest of the float were CMs dressed as Ostrich ballerinas. Finally there was the Night on Bald Mountain float which towered over the crowd. The mountain would spout steam and then the mountain would transform into Chernabog. A truly unbelieveable float. The length of the float would triple as the mountain became his wings with his eyes learing at you while gripping the lip of the mountain.
IMHO the best float Disney has ever built.
Chernabog was the business.
That is all.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evPvbwWlpEo

Chernabog starts at about 15:00 in. Part of the music was written just for that float.
WebmasterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
I was fortunate enough to have snagged good quality videos of our last visits to WDW where Spectromagic was still running, so that will be a "nice to have." I'm not a huge parade person, but its sad to hear they've let the thing simply ruin due to inattentiveness. That's a waste of time, money, and resources, even if they never brought back the parade itself. Just so "unDisney."

It appears that the general theme of information surrounding the apparent demise of this particular parade is that the floats were not maintained properly, essentially allowed to ruin/rust beyond repair. I can't help but wonder if this lack of maintenance, which I suspect was discovered some months ago, was all part of the broader issues we've heard of (here and on other boards) that led to the forcing out of the WDW parks president a few weeks (months?) ago? Not saying this issue was a specific cause, but merely another instance of some broader issues indicating managerial neglect.

I mean, we've all heard stories about at least a perception of a drop in park maintenance, food quality at restaurants, customer service, attendance concerns at Epcot, the well-documented DTD problems, so part of me just wonders if the lazy oversight that led to the Spectromagic floats just being wasted/allowed to ruin just isn't another symptom of that broader management failure issue...
They let Rivercountry fall into horrible disrepair, so I'm not surprised
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberpi View Post
They let Rivercountry fall into horrible disrepair, so I'm not surprised
Just did the google satellite view. Creepy plot of land now.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Sunlover317
Earning My Ears

I loved MSEP as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's and also saw Spectromagic numerous times in the 90's/2000's. The last time was 2009 and we were there in 2011 and were surprised when the MSEP was there. But, until I watched videos, the only change I could really remember was the music. I loved them both. I wish they would alternate them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
GrumpyCAdad
Mouseketeer

I really enjoyed Spectomagic when I saw it. I'd like them to bring it back soon, and while they are at it, change back MSEP back to its original version...can't stand the new one.
2 Trips to WDW as a child May 1991: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 1992: Disneyland: Off Site Oct 1995: Disneyland Off Site Nov 2001: Disneyland: Paradise Pier Nov 2003: Disneyland: Grand Californian August 2004: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 2004: WDW: Wilderness Lodge April 2005: Disneyland: Grand Californian Nov 2009: WDW: POR Oct 2011:WDW Off Site June 2014 WDW: Off Site

GrumpyCAdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerg11 View Post
On the KTTK Tour. They were under cover off stage in the same covered shelters in the picture and in another warehouse type building directly next to it. If I recall correctly, it was behind PotC, but across the little road. We accessed the backstage area where the parade comes out next to Splash Mtn. They looked fine then.

If you ever have the opportunity, take the tour, it was very interesting.
I saw them in the exact same location in Nov 2011 - in the backstage area near Splash Mtn. It's the same area where they maintain the MSEP floats - they were under a roof with battery chargers attached. When we went into the building where the Spectro floats were, our guide was fairly excited because the floats had been covered up in months prior, but had recently been uncovered and the guide thought maintenance was taking place on them.

I love both parades and wish they could run both.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: