Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Natalie710
Earning My Ears

US or IOA for a preschooler?

We are thinking of making a one day visit to Universal before our WDW trip begins. I'm not sure if one park is better suited for a 4 year old boy so any suggestions are appreciated!!!
Natalie710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the main board for more responses.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie710 View Post
We are thinking of making a one day visit to Universal before our WDW trip begins. I'm not sure if one park is better suited for a 4 year old boy so any suggestions are appreciated!!!
IOA has Seuss Landing and other things for the preschool set. Not much at Universal for preschoolers.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
acewashere
Earning My Ears

IOA: Harry Potter, SusLand, Marvel(No Rides, but good boy area), Jurassic Park, Popeye
US: ET, MIB, Shrek, Despicable Me, Woody, Fieval

Both sides has stuff.
acewashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
justme88
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewashere View Post
IOA: Harry Potter, SusLand, Marvel(No Rides, but good boy area), Jurassic Park, Popeye
US: ET, MIB, Shrek, Despicable Me, Woody, Fieval

Both sides has stuff.

The Studios has Barney as well.
justme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

animal actor show is also good for littles. (studios)

the characters meets, the minionions parade is also interesting for them.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

The first time we went, my boys were 3 and 4. We had a blast. There was plenty for them to do.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

I would go over to the US side, even though IOA has Suess Landing US has the parade and more characters that are for preschoolers. They have Dora, Diego, Minions, SpongeBob, etc.
They also a nice kids area with the Woody Coasters and then Barney as well. The animal show is fun for them too.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
derekburgan
Mouseketeer

Both sides have a TON of stuff. I have taken a 2 and 3 year old in your family the last few years. IOA has the incredible Seuess Landing, with great rides and the If I Ran A Zoo play area, and then there is the INSANELY large Camp Jurassic play area. You will be SHOCKED how much there is to do there.

As others have said, USF has the Curious George play area, the Barney play area, the Fievel play area, the animal actors show, the parades and dance parties. I imagine they could also sit in at least the non moving parts of Despicable Me as well (our young one loved those characters).
derekburgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
hermionesnape
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie710
IOA has Dr Seuss land that you don't want to miss. It was the favorite of my nephew along with the round family boat water ride in the comic section. He was also a big fan of dinosaurs so Jurassic Park was a hit (they have a small ride just for kids and a play jungle).

But you also don't want to miss the characters at US either. They also have the animal show as well as the ET ride that I loved when I was a kid. Plus the 4D movie.

I would buy the one day TWO park pass. The parks are literally right next door to each other (Hard Rock Cafe is the only thing separating the two entrances). And if you are by passing the big rides you will have plenty of time for both parks in one day.
hermionesnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Also both parks have shows that the little one could see.

IOA has the Sinbad show and the Poseidon's Fury show.

US has the Terminator 3D show, the Horror Make Up show (not scary) and the Beetlejuice Rock N Roll Graveyard review show. (my fav)

IOA has the Seuss area with several rides for the little ones and there is that over heard ride for little ones over in the Jurassic area. The ride where you can only ride it if you have a small child with you.

There is a whole area back there is US meant for the little kids.

I would get a park to park pass where you can go to both parks in one day. If you are just hitting the highlights meant for a 4 yr old you can do both parks in one day.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
glocon
DIS Veteran

Honestly, the Horror Makeup and Terminator shows might scare a 4 year old, and the Beetlejuice show is just inappropriate for someone that age. I guess all kids are different, and most of Beetlejuice went over my 5 year olds head, but I felt bad taking him to that, not knowing it was more a teen/adult oriented show.

The Posiden show is dark and loud (like Terminator), only you will know if your child will like that. The Sinbad show should be okay (some expolosions). I know a lot of people here do not like it, but I like it fine, and I think a 4 year old will too.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
cieslack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
Honestly, the Horror Makeup and Terminator shows might scare a 4 year old, and the Beetlejuice show is just inappropriate for someone that age. I guess all kids are different, and most of Beetlejuice went over my 5 year olds head, but I felt bad taking him to that, not knowing it was more a teen/adult oriented show.

The Posiden show is dark and loud (like Terminator), only you will know if your child will like that. The Sinbad show should be okay (some expolosions). I know a lot of people here do not like it, but I like it fine, and I think a 4 year old will too.

Hope this helps!
Agree for the most part.

Terminator scared my little one, Horror Makeup did not (he wanted to go again and again). Beetlejuice he loved and the innuendo went over his head. Poseidon he liked fine.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Emsymommy
Living, dreaming and breathing Disney

I would say IOA since they havethe seuss land and more hand on stuff rather than allthe animated rides

Very first visit POR Feb 2013
Emsymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
glocon
DIS Veteran

One of my sons favorite memories still (more than 10 years later) is of playing at Camp Jurassic at IoA. Gotta love that JP area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: