Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
mmccutche
Earning My Ears

Dining Plan - splitting a meal?

We are getting ready to leave for our first trip. As we have been losing wait to prepare for the big trip we find ourselves less hungry than usual... Is it possible to share/split a table service meal with my wife if we are simply not hungry enough for two meals?

We hate to waist food (knowing we can't pack it up since we are staying in the park). Thanks for helping us prep for the trip of a lifetime.
mmccutche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
dutchdisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

It is very normal and yes it can be done. Planning to do it on our next trip.
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

If you are on the dining plan or at a buffet/family style, then no. Otherwise yes.

We split meals all the time. If we didn't, I'd never get dessert. I'm always too full if I eat a whole meal myself.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn78
If you are on the dining plan or at a buffet/family style, then no. Otherwise yes.

We split meals all the time. If we didn't, I'd never get dessert. I'm always too full if I eat a whole meal myself.
You can split at many places even on the dining plan. Buffet or family style, then no splitting whichever way you pay. Some other places don't allow sharing on DDP, but most do as long as the person is on your reservation (like spouse or child)
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for a Poly dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
mmccutche
Earning My Ears

So any meal we are on dining plan we cannot split? Just making certain I understand. Not splitting buffet makes sense
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

At most places they'll let you share a meal (one credit to feed two people). However, you cannot share at buffets, all-you-care to eat/family style (e.g., skillet at WCC), pre-plated meals (e.g., CRT), and dinner shows (e.g., HDDR). You also cannot share and get the Fantasmic dining package for both people. Finally, Via Napoli is very strict and does not allow sharing on the DDP (you cannot order one pizza to feed two people when using the DDP).

(At pre-plated places and even at VN, when both people order their own entrees, you are welcome to share. For example, person 1 orders pizza A and person 2 orders pizza B; person 1 is welcome to try pizza B and person 2 can try pizza B. The key is that each person on the DDP ordered their own pizza and 2 credits will be charged for the meal.)

Last edited by figment_jii; 05-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
mmccutche
Earning My Ears

Dumb question. What is CRT and WCC? I get HDDR. Thanks for the guidance
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccutche View Post
Dumb question. What is CRT and WCC? I get HDDR. Thanks for the guidance
Cinderella's Royal Table and Whispering Canyon Cafe

WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I understand not wanting to waste food. Are you sure you have enough meals to use all your TS credits while sharing? Have you already added the DDP to your trip? You might do better paying OOP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
mmccutche
Earning My Ears

Thanks for asking. We have added it already and most of he table services are going to use at (2x) character meals or shows with our young daughters. We will have a few table service meals that we are paying OOP and 2 regular table service ( that we may extend into another dinner if we didn't each have to over eat individual dinners)

Thanks again
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccutche View Post
Thanks for asking. We have added it already and most of he table services are going to use at (2x) character meals or shows with our young daughters. We will have a few table service meals that we are paying OOP and 2 regular table service ( that we may extend into another dinner if we didn't each have to over eat individual dinners)

Thanks again
Most character meals are 1 credit per person, but they are buffets (e.g. Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey, Tusker House, 1900 Park Fare, Hollywood and Vine, Cape May) or family style meals (e.g. Garden Grill, Whispering Canyon dinner, 'Ohana) so you cannot share. Each person will be charged a credit. Akershus is also 1 credit, but you will each be charged.

The dinner shows (Hoop de Doo, Luau, and Mickeys Backyard Barbecue) and Cinderella's Royal Table are 2 credits each, but again everyone will be charged.

As others have said, at TS restaurants where you order from a menu you can share (use 1 credit for 2 people), except at Via Napoli.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

There is no one hard and fast rule for the entire property. You'll have to ask at each restaurant.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with all your unused meal credits?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
mmccutche
Earning My Ears

We have 2 "2 credit" meals HDDR and CRT for our first trip with kids so any unused credits will go to cover any missing evenings. Thanks for everyone's input
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
bless7ings
DIS Veteran

I would say you have been told it all, and you seem to be understanding well. Just thought I would add we split quite a bit with our family with no problem. I am also referring to the fact that it is enough food to split at most places. Like the other poster said, if you ate a whole meal you would not be hungry for dessert. You have to really look around at the menu's to find good desserts at most places in my opinion. But even to desire a snack on the ddp in the parks you have to not be full. We did a lot of walking, but being on the regular ddp we always seemed to be full. We did take things back to the room and put it in the mini fridge. But I must say, we were never hungry to eat them. So, splitting some meals to do some double credits worked well for us. We also brought dry cereal and other stuff for breakfast in the room. We bought milk at the resort store. Some of the kids used their snack credits to buy bagels for breakfast. When I plan, I always have extra meals like a breakfast or a 2 credit and then plan on splitting some meals or we just plain have too much food leftover. I agree with you I hate wasting food, that is why it comes back to the room. So, I have learned it is better to split some meals and use the extra credits on a third meal or double credit meals than waste food. Have fun!

dd10*dd8 * ds6 *dd4 * ds2
bless7ings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Thanks for this info! I didn't realize there was a possibility to share a TS credit. Hmmm...will need to keep this in mind as it will just be my 4yo and I traveling together. We have a meal booked at Kona Cafe. Last summer we wasted so much food. Maybe this year we can share? It would mean though that at one of the TS locations we'd need to share a child's meal but we have so much food on the DP that I don't foresee this being a problem.

Has anyone else ever shared a child's meal at a TS location where you order off the menu? Did they question it or allow it?

Thanks!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: