Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #631
wendy1974
DIS Veteran

Oh l, just noticed you said it's your first race, sorry! Are you using any particular training program?
wendy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #632
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdisneydad View Post
I have signed up for the ToT 10 Miler. This is my first ever running event. Any advice would be appreciated
Check out the Galloway training program for it on rundisney. Do some shorter races this spring and summer!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #633
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Just finished my practice run for the TOT. I raced in the 10 mile Mountain Goat run here locally. Lots of hills, warm and sunny.

For those of you running solo, you'll have a great time! There are lots of single runners and tons of encouragement on the route.

Just about 5 months away now!!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #634
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdisneydad View Post
I have signed up for the ToT 10 Miler. This is my first ever running event. Any advice would be appreciated
As mentioned above, Jeff Galloway has an official training plan. Absent that, Look to run 2-3 times during the week for 30 to 60 minutes. Look for some hills or a track to practice speed work. Speed work is not mandatory, but I find that even a first timer can gain some self confidence by attempting lower level speed/hills.

Then on the weekend, or once a week if your off days are not over the weekend, run long. Start off at 2-3 miles, then add a mile a week for three weeks. On the fourth week, cut the distance in half and on the following week, add a mile to the previous long run. Patter three increases and one pull back until you longest run is in the 9-12 mile range. Make the last week a half distance week and the following week the race.

As an example, starting the week of July 12, run 2. Then the miles would be
2-3-4-2-5-6-7-3-8-9-10-5-Race

This is a very simple plan and there are many more advanced ways of building up, but for a first time runner, this is a very simple build.

The first 2-3 weeks may feel short and thats OK. Use those weeks as a recovery.

This plan does practice a periodization allowing the body recovery weeks ona 3:1 ratio.

Regardless on plan...

Use training to practice...

Hydration. Learn your personal hydration rate through weighing pre and post run. If you come in lighter, you should drink a little more per hour and if heavier, then a little less. This is practiced and investigated once long runs hit an hour or longer.

Nutrition. A 10 mile race really does not require supplemental nutrition during the race, but you may feel the need. In general, one or two fuelings may be required if you are finding yourself feeling lethargic and unable to move during the latter stages of a long run. Also, use this time to understand how to eat and drink coming into the long run. Most runners need a good 2-4 hours to digest a meal prior to a long run. Your mileage will vary.

Equipment. Shoes and shorts, right? There is a lot to learn about shoes. Get to a running store to be fitted in a pair of running shoes and then only use these shoes to run. Track the miles run in the shoes and plan on retiring them between 400 and 700 miles. Cotton clothing may feel great but consider tech wear. It pulls sweat away from the body and helps cool. It also minimizes the probability of chafing.

Hope this helps
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #635
Larrabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleypie View Post
Over the years I've noticed that there's a strong correlation between the running going well and the writing going well. And so far this year the running is definitely going well, so I'm hoping the writing will catch up soon. I've been giving myself a break on goal-setting (and keeping) lately because my son is still so young, but really...I'm only working part time, and he still naps 2-3 hours a day, so I have the time now to Get Serious. Not "three books to finish" serious...but serious.
As someone whose youngest son is *sniff* graduating this year, I think your break from serious goal-setting is a fantastic one! Time spent with your real family is a thousand times more precious than with a fictional one. It's all a matter of balance ... something I've yet to completely figure out.

My blog about running, writing, rejoicing, and runDisney! Run. Write. Rejoice.

Larrabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #636
Larrabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Just finished my practice run for the TOT. I raced in the 10 mile Mountain Goat run here locally. Lots of hills, warm and sunny.

For those of you running solo, you'll have a great time! There are lots of single runners and tons of encouragement on the route.

Just about 5 months away now!!
Congrats on your race!! Lol, Mountain Goat Run - it sounds like a blast!

My blog about running, writing, rejoicing, and runDisney! Run. Write. Rejoice.

Larrabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #637
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrabe View Post

Fantastic report, thank you!! I've heard from others about the amount of people getting sick as well, and it makes me think of the blueberry pie eating contest scene in Stand by Me for some reason.
Ew ew ew.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #638
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Okay, I FINALLY have a 10K race under my belt! Which means I have proof of time for the first time ever. But... I can't decide whether or not to email it in! I've so far done TOT and Princess without proof and had super-good corral placement; I'm afraid to jinx my luck, lol!

Anyone have thoughts on where a 1:17:xx time on a 10K might place me, based on last year's corrals? I'm not at all worried about sweepers; I'd just like to be in a corral that fits my pace, y'know?

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #639
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

what a great training post by Coach Charles!!! thank you, sir!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #640
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Okay, I FINALLY have a 10K race under my belt! Which means I have proof of time for the first time ever. But... I can't decide whether or not to email it in! I've so far done TOT and Princess without proof and had super-good corral placement; I'm afraid to jinx my luck, lol!

Anyone have thoughts on where a 1:17:xx time on a 10K might place me, based on last year's corrals? I'm not at all worried about sweepers; I'd just like to be in a corral that fits my pace, y'know?
Hmm, I would guess you could be in Corral B, but it all depends on the field this year! Last year I submitted a 10K of 1:06.30 and squeaked into Corral A My bib was 2137 and I think the Corral A bibs went up to 2200?? (I can't remember...) so I'm thinking with your time, you should be in B
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #641
drewswife
Mouseketeer

Am I crazy

I am all booked to do this (my first rundisney anything). I am using this to get motivated to get healthy. I just ran a 10k yesterday and am psyched I finished in a 14 minute mile pace

now my dilemma - just found out I have to be home for a family function Sunday - Am I crazy to be going straight from race to hotel to shower to get to airport for a 6 AM flight

Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #642
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewswife View Post

now my dilemma - just found out I have to be home for a family function Sunday - Am I crazy to be going straight from race to hotel to shower to get to airport for a 6 AM flight

Depends on how young you are. Sort of kidding, sort of not. How were you after the 10K you just did? How do you think you'll be after the TOT? Are you traveling solo where you'll have to be in charge of everything even if exhausted, or will there be someone else there to keep you going or pack up for you and wake you up if you take a nap at 2am?

Question...with this TOT race we can submit proof of time even at the Expo, right? I know it's changing for the 2014 races, but for this one it's still allowed at the Expo?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #643
willrunforwine
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Question...with this TOT race we can submit proof of time even at the Expo, right? I know it's changing for the 2014 races, but for this one it's still allowed at the Expo?

That's how I understand it. We're thinking of going for a local 10K to get better corral placement for TOT, and (hopefully) subsequently get better corral placement for Dopey 2014 as it'll be before the November 1st deadline.

willrunforwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #644
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Last year I brought a time of 1:17:10 to the expo and it moved me to C. I know... what are the chances that there would be someone with the EXACT time... but I did. I thought it was 1:27:xx... but I looked it up to make sure. (I think I was remembering the seconds pace as it was 12:27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

I believe you still can at the expo. Things definitely are changing for 2014 though. DH signed up for Donald and it even asks now if this is the first time attempting a half marathon... and very clearly states that if your submitted time can not be verified you will be placed in the last corral.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #645
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks to both of you for the quick answers!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: