Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer
 
JeanetteK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 358

My thoughts on POR -- just returned

Hi all! DH and I returned a couple days ago from our 9 night/10 day stay at Port Orleans - Riverside. Thought I'd post my comments on the resort. This was our second trip. Last year we stayed at Coronado Springs.

We booked and paid for a Riverview room. I was hoping to be in Magnolia Bend - either Acadia House or Magnolia Terrace. We arrived around 9:30 a.m. and went immediately to check-in. We were told that we were upgraded to a Royal Room. Okay, that's fine. Is it still Riverview? "Yes." Well I guess "technically" it was a river view -- if the trees didn't have any leaves on them. Anyway, the room was nice -- we were so exhausted from our drive that I didn't even try to get a different room, because we were told the room was ready. So off we went to the room. Very nice location in Oak Manor.

The resort is beautiful. The quiet pool we used was very nice and large. HOWEVER, it was not so quiet. There were a lot, and I mean A LOT, of kids. Now, I understand we're in Disney -- DH and I are childless -- we don't dislike children (love our nieces and nephews), but I was hoping for some quiet time at the pool.

The Riverside Mill was a great food court. Everything we tried was really good. Especially loved the cajun chicken sandwich.

So, we thought the resort really was beautiful. BUT, if we had a choice (and we all always have choices), we would stay at Coronado Springs for the next trip (and maybe always -- unless we go deluxe). Coronado, to us, just felt like more an adult resort.

So there you have it. Just my 2 cents worth.
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

I have solo a few times to POR, and I guess like any other resorts, I found quiet times by the pool to be mainly during the day and early evening, when everyone is at the parks.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 3,268

Glad you had a nice trip, and I agree that CSR seems more adult than the other mods. I think the "Disney definition" of quiet pool actually just means there are no water features (slide, splash area, etc..) or bar.
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
IhrkeFamily
Mouseketeer
 
IhrkeFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 234

We found Coronado to be very adult like. It might be something to do with the convention facilities. Plus the theming for families and children just didn't quite have the pixie dust. Gorgeous hotel though and we enjoyed our stay. Food court was amazing.

POR is one of the few if only MOD's that can accommodate 5 people. Very popular for a family of 5.
__________________
Me, DH, DS14, DD12, DS7

1997 - Stayed with sister who was CM
1997 - Stayed with sister, 1st time with fiance (now husband!)
2000 - Coronado Springs
2002 - All Star Music
2004 - All Star Movies
2005 - All Star Movies
2008 - All Star Movies
2009 - All Star Movies
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
IhrkeFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran
 
ExpatDisneyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.
Posts: 2,030

I agree that CSR has a more "adult" vibe to it.
__________________
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
firstwdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649

We just returned from POR too! Seems like many got upgraded to a royal room. We got what we paid for...preferred but I was ok with that! We thought the place was perfect for children. I was actually just thinking about our other choices for moderates for next time. I am happy to read the reviews of CSR being more adult....we'll skip there and stick to the places that cater more to the kids! I agree.....POR had a lot of kids! However, by our room was so quiet and we hardly saw anyone. Our quiet pool was empty a lot of the time!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
JVig
Mouseketeer
 
JVig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 413

I'm actually debating between these two resorts right now! I have a 5 year old (or she will be 5 at the time of our visit at least!), so maybe POR will be better. All depends on what's available with the 25% off discount come Thursday morning.

It looks like there are no standards at POR available for my travel dates, but I could go with Garden View. Assuming that, it would cost me about $40 to stay at POR versus CSR. Would you say the extra disney-fication of the resort is worth it with a 5 year old?

I do think the pool at CSR looks like more fun....
JVig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I think the "Disney definition" of quiet pool actually just means there are no water features (slide, splash area, etc..) or bar.
You are right. They are actually starting to call them "leisure pools", which seems a better fit. Quiet pool is a bit misleading.

I get from the tone of your post your lack of a view wasn't a huge deal, but if that ever happens to you again, let them know. They can do some trimming so that your river view room would indeed be a river view, and not a tree view.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer
 
JeanetteK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
You are right. They are actually starting to call them "leisure pools", which seems a better fit. Quiet pool is a bit misleading.

I get from the tone of your post your lack of a view wasn't a huge deal, but if that ever happens to you again, let them know. They can do some trimming so that your river view room would indeed be a river view, and not a tree view.
Maybe I should clarify -- compared to CSR, which seemed like a quiet pool because there was hardly ever anyone there besides me and DH, POR was just more crowded. The kids didn't bother us at all, we really enjoyed the pool time - no matter what time of day we went. There were just noticeably more kids at POR than CSR.

The view didn't bother us at all. We were actually on the 3rd floor in Oak Manor, so the tops of the trees were blocking our view. I just assumed that's why they put us in a Royal Room -- because they didn't have any other river view rooms (with good views) available.

To the PP asking about CSR theming for kids -- I didn't think there was a lot of "DISNEY" at POR or CSR. The big pool at CSR was great for kids and adults. I didn't visit the big pool at POR, but I know lots of posters have said that their kids loved the pool at CSR.

We did enjoy POR, but for 2 middle aged adults with no children, I loved CSR. I just didn't fall in love with POR. But, that's what is great about Disney properties -- there is something for everyone
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 3,951

Let me tell you all about your ADULT Coronado Springs. We stayed there three times. Two of those times were far from adult.

1 - We had the Teeny Bopper Soccer Convention - with the entire resort overrun by 10 to 12 year-old boys. No one could get near the Cabanas pool, which we really loved. We never used it on that trip. They were NOT quiet. They were slobs at the pool, never cleaning up after themselves. They chanted loudly everywhere they went. They ran around the resort unsupervised. It was not pleasant. ADULT resort??? Hmmmmm!

2 - The convention was for families of young children with Downs Syndrome. They were quiet & well-behaved because they were with their parents, and caused no issues for us at all. In fact, they were extremely pleasant on the bus rides to the parks. They were great conversationalists & added to our Disney enjoyment. However, they were not adults, as many of you have claimed. ADULT resort??? Hmmmmm!

Based on our experiences, I cannot agree with the ADULT label being put on CSR. No way!
__________________
Pop, POFQ, & POR
I Love Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
buzznina
DIS Veteran
 
buzznina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.
Posts: 1,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Let me tell you all about your ADULT Coronado Springs. We stayed there three times. Two of those times were far from adult.

1 - We had the Teeny Bopper Soccer Convention - with the entire resort overrun by 10 to 12 year-old boys. No one could get near the Cabanas pool, which we really loved. We never used it on that trip. They were NOT quiet. They were slobs at the pool, never cleaning up after themselves. They chanted loudly everywhere they went. They ran around the resort unsupervised. It was not pleasant. ADULT resort??? Hmmmmm!

2 - The convention was for families of young children with Downs Syndrome. They were quiet & well-behaved because they were with their parents, and caused no issues for us at all. In fact, they were extremely pleasant on the bus rides to the parks. They were great conversationalists & added to our Disney enjoyment. However, they were not adults, as many of you have claimed. ADULT resort??? Hmmmmm!

Based on our experiences, I cannot agree with the ADULT label being put on CSR. No way!
But CSR is more directed towards adults than the other Mods.
There is family entertainment at the the other Mods and CSR has an ADULT night club/lounge.
The other Mods have more family amenities like boat and bike rentals and CSR does not.
CSR has "Business suites" the others do not.
__________________



DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH

Last edited by buzznina; 09-02-2013 at 12:07 AM.
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks
 
HubbDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hubbardston, MA
Posts: 1,505

Hmmmmm. Lots of kids at a Disney resort?

Very odd...

(kidding folks...kidding)

We seriously looked at both resorts but decided to go with a deluxe
__________________
Dreading mugginess
1996 WDW Off Property 2006 AS Movies 2011 WL2013 AS Sports/BC
HubbDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Hmmmmm. Lots of kids at a Disney resort?

Very odd...

(kidding folks...kidding)

We seriously looked at both resorts but decided to go with a deluxe
Pssssssst. There are kids at the deluxe resorts too! Shocking, I know!!

What deluxe did you decide on?
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks
 
HubbDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hubbardston, MA
Posts: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

Pssssssst. There are kids at the deluxe resorts too! Shocking, I know!!

What deluxe did you decide on?
We did WL two years ago, and we got a great deal for BC for this summer. We are bringing 3 kids: DS, DD, and myself...my wife is a saint
__________________
Dreading mugginess
1996 WDW Off Property 2006 AS Movies 2011 WL2013 AS Sports/BC
HubbDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 7,368

We've stayed at POR twice now and both times found the quiet pools to be much better compared to the main pool that was jam packed with families. First trip was May and we went to the quiet pool on weekday afternoons and had no issues. Second trip was in September and same experience, but maybe with a few more people. I guess it's all in the timing! I will say, however, that I don't find the quiet pools at POR to be as nice aesthetically or as big as quiet pools at comparable resorts.

We are trying CSR next trip so I'm glad to hear it has more of an adult vibe.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.