Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Donald Ducks wife
DIS Veteran

So we are going to WDW.... HELP!!

So I'm a regular at Disneyland Paris, but are now planning on WDW for October 2014.
I want to stay for 2 weeks, at the art of animation resort. Just me and my 5 year old son. I understand since its not 2 adults I have to pay an adult price for my 5 year old.
We have got a little help to pay it from family fund but it's Thomas Cook vouchers, so when I go book in a week or so, what should I agree too, like would it be cheaper to get travel insurance elsewhere? What chargers do they put on? I've never booked with a travel agent on our paris trips, it's usually direct from disney.
November 2012 - Santa Fe DLP
March 2013 - Cheyanne DLP
October 2013 - Santa Fe DLP
April 2014 - Hotel New York DLP
October 2014 - Hotel New York DLP

March 2015 - Hotel New York DLP
Donald Ducks wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Ducks wife View Post
Just me and my 5 year old son. I understand since its not 2 adults I have to pay an adult price for my 5 year old.
Where do you get that from ?

Never heard of that.
I was shocked so I checked on the UK website, and there is no such policy
If your TA tells you otherwise, then book direct with Disney

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

At the moment a moderate resort with free quick service dining is really a better deal than a value resort with no food included. The difference in price for a value is definitely less than you would have to spend on food, even only for two for two weeks I would have thought. I would price up what you will be asking TC for on other websites first so you know what the comparison is. If you do a dummy booking on the WDW website you can see the separate prices for dining, tickets and hotel room. The gap in a package is then what they are charging you for flights. Get Thomas Cook to break all the pricing down for you so you can compare properly.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
monica23535
DIS Veteran

I assume that the OP will have to make the booking through Thomas Cook in order to use the Family First vouchers.

If that is the case, then you are correct and will have to book and pay for two adults for a package holiday.

In regards to the free dining promotion, I would ask your agent to price up one of the moderate hotels, like the Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans which include the Free Quick Service plan, just to compare prices as Art of Animation without free dining might be a less attractive deal.
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Donald Ducks wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
I assume that the OP will have to make the booking through Thomas Cook in order to use the Family First vouchers.

If that is the case, then you are correct and will have to book and pay for two adults for a package holiday.

In regards to the free dining promotion, I would ask your agent to price up one of the moderate hotels, like the Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans which include the Free Quick Service plan, just to compare prices as Art of Animation without free dining might be a less attractive deal.
I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not, but I can book direct with disney, and just book the flights with Thomas Cook using my family fund vouchers, would that work?
November 2012 - Santa Fe DLP
March 2013 - Cheyanne DLP
October 2013 - Santa Fe DLP
April 2014 - Hotel New York DLP
October 2014 - Hotel New York DLP

March 2015 - Hotel New York DLP
Donald Ducks wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

Yes you could book a fly drive with them and get hotel direct with whomever is cheapest. We book with complete orlando as it works out cheapest for us
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Quote:

I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not, but I can book direct with disney, and just book the flights with Thomas Cook using my family fund vouchers, would that work?
Yes. In fact unless your voucher value is way too high that's what I would do. If you book direct with WDW you can use the magical express for free, possibly doing away with the need for a car.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
So I'm a regular at Disneyland Paris, but are now planning on WDW for October 2014.
I want to stay for 2 weeks, at the art of animation resort. Just me and my 5 year old son. I understand since its not 2 adults I have to pay an adult price for my 5 year old.
We have got a little help to pay it from family fund but it's Thomas Cook vouchers, so when I go book in a week or so, what should I agree too, like would it be cheaper to get travel insurance elsewhere? What chargers do they put on? I've never booked with a travel agent on our paris trips, it's usually direct from disney.
Hi,

Ok first of all, you don't have to pay an adult price for your son. You pay per room not per person. Having said that, it is a little more expensive than it would be if you had 2 adults paying half each.

We had vouchers from the family fund last year and they were easy to use.

Travel insurance is much cheaper if you obtain it yourself through a comparison site or through your bank if they offer it.

WDW is nothing like DLP, it's a completely different experience. My suggestion to you would be to go into Thomas Cook and ask them to give you a price for Art of Animation and a price for Carribean Beach Resort. The reason I am suggesting you do that is because at AoA, you will not get the dining plan for free and will have to pay your food costs. If you stay at a moderate resort, you will get free dining. The difference in price will probably be smaller than the cost of food for your trip so it is worth getting a price for both.

Don't tell them you have family fund vouchers when you get the prices. The reason I say that is because if they know you have family fund vouchers, they know you are tied to them and they may not give you the best price they can. If they think you could go elsewhere, they'll do their best to give you the best price so you don't go elsewhere!

Tell them you have travel insurance already because last year they wanted £55 each and I got an annual policy for the family for £65! Once you have a price for both you can compare and consider what will work best for you. If you're on a budget, going for the Caribbean Beach with the free dining will probably make it easier for you because you won't need spending money for food.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: