Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #46
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls
I'm a new member, and I have to ask...is every thread this hostile? I didn't see anywhere that the OP was demanding money back, and everyone is berating her as if she is asking to bring the monorail home. If this is par for the course, I think I'm going to disable my account.
Pretty much. Some folks are pretty rabid in their defense of all things Mouse.
Palmetto bug is just a polite way to say big freaking flying cockroach!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #47
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I'm a new member, and I have to ask...is every thread this hostile? I didn't see anywhere that the OP was demanding money back, and everyone is berating her as if she is asking to bring the monorail home. If this is par for the course, I think I'm going to disable my account.
I'm only seeing one post that could be described as remotely hostile. Everyone else is just sharing the fact that bugs are a part of life in Florida. Florida is still a huge hunk of swamp land, there is no getting rid of all the bugs and other creatures that call it home.
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #48
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

I'm only seeing one post that could be described as remotely hostile. Everyone else is just sharing the fact that bugs are a part of life in Florida. Florida is still a huge hunk of swamp land, there is no getting rid of all the bugs and other creatures that call it home.
They do a pretty good job though. My one encounter was the only one I've ever had. I'm highly allergic to bug bites and bugs seem to love me. Most vacations I come home looking like I have the chicken pox, and I can honestly say I've never been bitten EVER at Disney. I have no idea how they do it, but I'm eternally grateful because my reactions are unpredictable and sometimes very, very bad.

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This thread hasn't been hostile at all. The OP did ask if there should be compensation and people are just relating the facts of life in Florida. Nothing more, just info.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
WDW in Pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post

This thread hasn't been hostile at all. The OP did ask if there should be compensation and people are just relating the facts of life in Florida. Nothing more, just info.
Example: "I can't believe what ppl think they should get compensation for". Not fact, it's a personal attack, their own editorial at best. Give OP the facts; they don't need your opinion on their character and morals.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #51
WDW in Pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post

Pretty much. Some folks are pretty rabid in their defense of all things Mouse.
Palmetto bug is just a polite way to say big freaking flying cockroach!
My experience has been very mixed. The passion for Disney has supplied me with good advice and information, but then there's the personal attacks and the holier than thou nonsense that I suppose comes with any Internet forum. People say some stuff on here that I find to be pretty stupid, but I'd rather stick to what Thumper's mom says

Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #52
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls

My experience has been very mixed. The passion for Disney has supplied me with good advice and information, but then there's the personal attacks and the holier than thou nonsense that I suppose comes with any Internet forum. People say some stuff on here that I find to be pretty stupid, but I'd rather stick to what Thumper's mom says
I agree. The biggest majority of folks I have personally encountered here have been friendly and wonderful. But a few bad apples just get plain nasty and demeaning.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #53
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
That is why I said it was a Palmetto bug. They do not infest/swarm/whatever like German roaches. It is unlikely there would be more than one in a room. It's not worthy of compensation - as Deb said, they get in by flying in an open door generally, it's not an indication of poor cleaning or maintenance or anything. One joined us at our dinner table on the first night in our new home in Florida. I chased it outside. They're big and ugly though, definitely. Remind me more of a cicada.
yep.. I am a native Floridian (we are rare!) and when I was a kid, we had a new home built. I would always see "10 ft roaches!!" as I called them when I was a kid. My mother would frequently talk about the nasty German cockroach my parents would find in my dad's rental properties that indicates a dirty house, but Florida, those Palmetto bugs will get into anything. They like glue and water. Every year she would make my dad take our Christmas tree out of the box in the driveway because one would always be in there.
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Example: "I can't believe what ppl think they should get compensation for". Not fact, it's a personal attack, their own editorial at best. Give OP the facts; they don't need your opinion on their character and morals.
I agree mostly with this and people do state things badly sometimes. It's also very easy for the emotional tone of things to be misunderstood from just written words. I still don't see that as personal attack. To me that's just personal frustration of seeing requests for compensation over and over. Could it have been stated better, likely, but its more about the writer than the op. Which one of us is right, who knows, its a matter of how we perceive it.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #55
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I think it is ridiculous to even ask if you should be compensated for what we call water bugs, in your room in FLORIDA.

We had one run across our table near our food when we were eating at Rainforest Cafe at DTD and told them and they sure didn't offer a discount on our bill. They just apologized and kind of acted weird like maybe we brought it with us to try to get something free. We actually smooshed it with a napkin and gave it to them.

We have not been back there since but sure didn't ask for COMPENSATION.

I can't believe what all ppl feel like they should get something free for.
If you had been offered compensation, though, wouldn't you feel a bit different? Just because you weren't offered it (and my goodness I think you should have been) doesn't mean that others shouldn't.

At the very least, however, management at the restaurant needed to be informed just like management at the resort needs to know.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

Sorry that the OP was introduced to this nasty pest on her vacation. MY FIL always tells me Florida's State BIRD is the palmetto bug

I know I'm always shocked when I have one in my (clean! Honest!) house, but my DH tells me that they can hitchhike in on packages, bags, etc. that we bring in, so there's no way we'll ever be 100% completely clear.

As bad as they are though, I like them better than the dinner plate sized spiders I've seen hanging around outdoors

Tourists need to remember this Florida saying when they come down to see us LOL:

If it grows, it'll stick ya.
If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

Seahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
brettb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
Saw a rat once at The All-Star Music. It ran out in front of us while we were walking back to our room about midnight, out of a stand of bushes. We jumped and screamed because we were surprised, but then we just walked faster.
We were at a value resort (can't remember which) and walking from the parking lot to the building. All of a sudden my wife went, "OMG, is that a RAT?!? AAAAAAH!"

It was pretty close to the building and VERY large (for a rat.) I got a better look at it and realized it was an armadillo. Then my wife was all like, "REALLY? OMG, how CUTE! Let's get a better look!"
8-9/'11 AKL (Free dining!)
8/10 Polynesian (40% PIN)
7/09 AKL (7-for-4 + AP discount)
8/08 AKL (Free dining!) & 5/08 Coronado Springs Resort
12/07 Animal Kingdom Lodge
9-10/06 Pop Century (Free dining!)
10/05 Wilderness Lodge (Free dining!)
12/04 Grand Floridian & 6/04 Polynesian
8/03 Contemporary for 15 minutes, Grand Floridian for the rest of the trip
10/02 Polynesian
1976-96 Contemporary, Village Resort, All-Star Sports, Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Off-property
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #58
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Better than a snake in the room....

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #59
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
so I am currently in WDW at a deluxe hotel. we checked in this morning, and after returning to our room this afternoon i discovered a HUGE roach (about 3 inches long) in the shower. I called housekeeping because i didn't know what to do with. I was grossed out, but now that it's nighttime it's bothering me more! Is it likely there are more in the plumbing somewhere?! Would anyone have asked for compensation of some sort? I understand it's Florida, but talk about ruining night 1 in a $400 room!!
We had the same thing happen to us a couple years ago (GF RPC). I didn't think too much of it since it was just a Palmetto bug. I just smushed it and flushed it down the toilet. No further incedents occured and we didn't even mention it to the staff. It probably came from the bathtubs vent.

Last edited by elaw; 05-06-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #60
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

I don't like to be a negative person but really this is really a real post? Orlando is swamp land and in heat and humidity you may see a roach or water bug, there is no need to complain or get compensation.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: