Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
paulamitch
Earning My Ears

Big chicken first timer

Taking my nieces and nephew to Disney/Universal in June. I have been to WDW before but never to Universal. I am pretty sure all the people I'm taking with me are more Haunted Mansion/Small World type people and would not go on Space Mountain type rides. I'm thinking of doing the two day tickets where you get the third free. The kids are very excited to see the Harry Potter attraction. What rides should a bunch of big chickens avoid and do we need the second day if we are not going to go on anything fast.
paulamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
tchrchgo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamitch View Post
Taking my nieces and nephew to Disney/Universal in June. I have been to WDW before but never to Universal. I am pretty sure all the people I'm taking with me are more Haunted Mansion/Small World type people and would not go on Space Mountain type rides. I'm thinking of doing the two day tickets where you get the third free. The kids are very excited to see the Harry Potter attraction. What rides should a bunch of big chickens avoid and do we need the second day if we are not going to go on anything fast.
I think a second day is a good idea so you can enjoy both parks at a leisurely pace. There are plenty of things for chickens to do. Lots of shows also. Basically chickens should avoid the rip ride rocket, dr doom, the hulk coaster, and the dragon challenge coasters. The revenge of the mummy is a maybe....

Last edited by tchrchgo; 05-06-2013 at 05:59 AM.
tchrchgo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Universal, in general, is much more thrilling than WDW. Lots of the rides have drops or are motion-simulators. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has three rides (a large inverting roller coaster, an intense motion simulator, and a small kiddie coaster). The Seuss rides and E.T. and maybe Men in Black are the most chicken-friendly rides.. there's also a few attractions like Terminator, Twister, and Poseidon's Fury that don't really move but are still darker than most things found at Disney.

I'd recommend looking at all of the attractions on Universal's website and on youtube for videos of the rides, then you can decide how much you want to do.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Dh is still too big for the "big" rides, my son was tall enough but too scared, and I'm a chicken. On our first trip I went on Forbidden Journey (and was nearly sick), and the next biggest rides we went on were Spiderman (too soon after FJ and I was nearly sick all over again) and Jurassic Park River Adventure. (well, DS and I did ride Flight of the Hippogriff)

We stayed 4 days, hit the parks each day, and had a FABULOUS time.

Nowadays DS and I ride FJ, I ride the Mummy (fun!), DS loves the BIG coasters and even Dr Doom, but DH is still not the size to fit on those (though he's 40 lbs down!). And we still have an amazing time each time we go.

Just because Universal *has* the big scary rides doesn't mean you have to ride them. And it doesn't mean you have to ride them to have a great time. There is plenty to do, see, and experience there, even if you don't get on a single "big" ride. Ask DH!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
paulamitch
Earning My Ears

Thanks this helps everyone, taking notes. How does the Dudley Do Right water ride compare to splash mountain at Disney? I was able to do that. Couldn't get the kids to go on it, they are older kids btw. Although the Forbidden Journey ride looks cool, if you almost got sick I'm sure I will. If I get motion sick I will be down for hours, I think I'll just do the tour on that one.
paulamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
tchrchgo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamitch View Post
Thanks this helps everyone, taking notes. How does the Dudley Do Right water ride compare to splash mountain at Disney? I was able to do that. Couldn't get the kids to go on it, they are older kids btw. Although the Forbidden Journey ride looks cool, if you almost got sick I'm sure I will. If I get motion sick I will be down for hours, I think I'll just do the tour on that one.
Dudley is Not scary, but you will get wet
tchrchgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: