Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
mb187143
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaSRN62 View Post
Yes Chilly--Thanks ! I got the book for both my daughter and myself ! Have not read through it entirely yet but it's been really helpful !

mb187143---I'm not gonna lie. A bit confused about the transportation. Right now we're showing a $807.78 charge for transportation. Broken down:
Motor coach (5 hrs @ $101.85 per hr) + Limo (3 hrs @99.51 per hr).
PS: see you are from Philly ! I live in Lansdale--a far north suburb but my husband works in Philly

I just assumed with 50-60 guests we'd need that motor coach---and they told us they return the guests after reception to their hotels ? But if the bride and groom only have the limo for 3 hrs I'm assuming they need to ride the motor coach as well to get back to Bay Lake Tower from Ariel's ? I'm trying to figure this all out.

lpizzuro123....thanks, yes, we are hoping this will be an awesome celebration for everyone. The idea about the sheets is great ! My daughter has a noon ceremony at WP and lunch reception at Ariel's. She is booking Regina Hyman for photography. Thanks very much Linda for reassuring me that Disney will do their best to keep the happy couple apart until the ceremony. I'm sure you'll see more of me here now that the down payment and contract were just finalized. Well...it's in the mail system right now...I'm tracking it on line via Priority Mail !
Hi! I'm actually in Montgomery county, but I just leave it as Philly I used to live in harleysville so I know exactly where lansdale is!

So what you have now is an estimate. They run off a fairly generic PDF so that you have an idea of pricing for some common elements.

What they don't tell you upfront is that there are additional options.

Transportation is only one example. They will try to force you to use the motor coaches. You don't have to - they have other options. Our guests were spread out among port Orleans French quarter, pop century, and Saratoga springs. When we got our first proposal they put in the limo for us and the motor coach for our guests. The problem is that it cost over $1000 and guests at the first resort would have been on the bus for almost an hour by the time they got to the wedding pavilion. Disney offers other options aside from the motor coach. We arranged for vans to go to each resort and pick up the guests and take them to the wedding pavilion. Then after the ceremony they walked to the grand Floridian. Those same vans picked up our guests at the grand Floridian and took them back to their resorts. The total cost for the vans was $240 (each van is $40 each way - we did one way trips instead of an 8 hour charter).

At the same time, we had a limo, which handled getting the boys to the grand Floridian, then came back for us, and then it was for the bridal party to use. Disney also has specialty transportation (Cinderella's carriage, rolls Royce, vintage cars, landau coach), which we also booked to do something special. We didn't have to do that though we could have just been in the limo.

I know it sounds confusing but I promise it's not. Once your daughter goes/has her planning session you'll see a much more defined plan. Check out the BEO thread to get an idea of what others did for timing and transportation.

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb187143 View Post
Hi! I'm actually in Montgomery county, but I just leave it as Philly I used to live in harleysville so I know exactly where lansdale is!

So what you have now is an estimate. They run off a fairly generic PDF so that you have an idea of pricing for some common elements.

What they don't tell you upfront is that there are additional options.

Transportation is only one example. They will try to force you to use the motor coaches. You don't have to - they have other options. Our guests were spread out among port Orleans French quarter, pop century, and Saratoga springs. When we got our first proposal they put in the limo for us and the motor coach for our guests. The problem is that it cost over $1000 and guests at the first resort would have been on the bus for almost an hour by the time they got to the wedding pavilion. Disney offers other options aside from the motor coach. We arranged for vans to go to each resort and pick up the guests and take them to the wedding pavilion. Then after the ceremony they walked to the grand Floridian. Those same vans picked up our guests at the grand Floridian and took them back to their resorts. The total cost for the vans was $240 (each van is $40 each way - we did one way trips instead of an 8 hour charter).
Montgomery County here too !!!

Yes..I am confused for sure. I noticed you said the van took them back to their hotels after the ceremony---not to the reception ? And how did your guests get back to their hotels after the reception ? Mind spinning
The "luxury" vans only hold 8 and the "standard" vans 11 ? I will have 50-60 guests ??? And we will be spread out as well which scares me (Bay Lake Tower, Wilderness Lodge, POFQ and POP)!!!! I just really like the idea that guests are covered from beginning to end of reception ? But yes---so far, the transportation is $800+ of our budget.

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
mb187143
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Montgomery County here too !!!

Yes..I am confused for sure. I noticed you said the van took them back to their hotels after the ceremony---not to the reception ? And how did your guests get back to their hotels after the reception ? Mind spinning
The "luxury" vans only hold 8 and the "standard" vans 11 ? I will have 50-60 guests ??? And we will be spread out as well which scares me (Bay Lake Tower, Wilderness Lodge, POFQ and POP)!!!! I just really like the idea that guests are covered from beginning to end of reception ? But yes---so far, the transportation is $800+ of our budget.
Ok the luxury vans picked up our guests at POFQ, POP and Saratoga Springs. Each van went to and from one resort in our block. They have vans that hold 8 or 11, we used the ones that hold 11. Our wedding was at the wedding pavilion at 5. The vans picked up our guests at 4:15 at each resort and dropped them off at the wedding pavilion.

We had a separate group of guests who stayed offsite for whom we arranged transportation through Mears directly, but it was handled the same way as the Disney resorts.

When our wedding was over (around 5:30), our guests walked to the reception since it was at the grand Floridian (it was a 10 minute walk). They got there in time for our pre-reception at the Whitehall room. Our reception was in one of the ballrooms so the party moved over there, and then at the end of the night, the vans came back and picked up our guests at the Grand Floridian and took them back to their resorts.

If your daughter is doing her ceremony at the WP and then a reception at Ariel's, you'll need to arrange transportation between those locations because its two entirely separate areas. But you could still avoid the motor coach charter and set up 3 separate trips with the vans ( trip 1= resort to WP, trip 2 = WP to Ariel's, trip 3= Ariel's back to resort). Does that make more sense?

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

As well as the book Carrie has a podcast:

http://disneytravelbabble.com/podcast/

Episode 10 is wedding day transport.
Chilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb187143 View Post
If your daughter is doing her ceremony at the WP and then a reception at Ariel's, you'll need to arrange transportation between those locations because its two entirely separate areas. But you could still avoid the motor coach charter and set up 3 separate trips with the vans ( trip 1= resort to WP, trip 2 = WP to Ariel's, trip 3= Ariel's back to resort). Does that make more sense?
Maybe I'm dense---studying for a big final exam and brain is shot right now. But I'm seeing the van that holds 11 is about $71/hr for a min of 3 hrs. If I have people scattered all over in hotels, does the van keep going back and forth until it picks up all 50 guests and drops them off at WP--Ariels---hotels at end of reception ? And if it is $71/hr with a 3 hr min that is about $213 per leg/segment ?? And I would need 3 separate legs/segments which would equal $639 ? About same cost as motor coach estimate right now ? Unless I'm missing something ? I apologize if I'm not grasping this very well.....
and on page 106 of the Passporter book, it says if you have more than TWO hotel stops (which we will), it automatically requires the motor coach ? But the thing that concerns me with that, is the motor coach is on the estimate paper for only 5 hrs ?? Pretty sure we'll need it for longer than that considering the amt of time needed prior to ceremony to pick up and also time after reception to drop off ? Ceremony begins at noon and reception ends at 5 pm ?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
I'm seeing the van that holds 11 is about $71/hr for a min of 3 hrs.
... For a charter. A charter is where you pay for it to make unlimited trips during a set period. If you do one-way, it just costs $40 per trip for an 8-passenger van or $173.25 for an 11-passenger van.

Quote:
I apologize if I'm not grasping this very well.....
and on page 106 of the Passporter book, it says if you have more than TWO hotel stops (which we will), it automatically requires the motor coach ?
What it says is that more than two stops requires a charter. "Charter" refers to the way you are charged for the transport, not the type of vehicle. There are motor coach charters, van charters, limo charters, etc.

Quote:
But the thing that concerns me with that, is the motor coach is on the estimate paper for only 5 hrs ?? ?
That's because a motor coach charter must be a minimum of 5 hours. So they just put the minimum on the estimate and calculate the actual number of hours later when they do your BEO. You will probably need a 7- or 8-hour charter.

In many situations, it is cheaper to pay for one (or more) one-way vans to go to each resort—like when you don't need transport between the ceremony and the reception. But for a group the size of yours, with that many different pickup points, that extra trip between ceremony and reception means that one-way vans will probably not be the most economical option, unfortunately. It's worth doing the math, though, once you get guest RSVPs back and have a firm number.
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

What Carrie said - with all those people and all those stops - getting one charter bus from Disney would probably be the best.

We had 50 people in 2 resorts - but our ceremony was in Epcot - so as it was an in park event - we had to use Disney transportation.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

I really appreciate everyone's help---and I know this topic morphed into transportation and I apologize.

Unless our guest count drops a good amount, I see even the one-way van stops adding up because of how we are spread out. We were urged to choose 3 resorts in the room block as are most potential brides to be---but we also have a few people using DVC (which adds a few more resorts). Now my husband is saying we can transport some of the DVC stops. But I definitely see a minimum of 7 hrs use of the motor coach if we go that route.

If our guest count drops (and that could definitely happen), we can opt for the vans or mini bus.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's help---and I know this topic morphed into transportation and I apologize.

Unless our guest count drops a good amount, I see even the one-way van stops adding up because of how we are spread out. We were urged to choose 3 resorts in the room block as are most potential brides to be---but we also have a few people using DVC (which adds a few more resorts). Now my husband is saying we can transport some of the DVC stops. But I definitely see a minimum of 7 hrs use of the motor coach if we go that route.

If our guest count drops (and that could definitely happen), we can opt for the vans or mini bus.
Yeah - we offered our guests 3 resorts, POP, POFQ and The Boardwalk. Everyone stayed at either POFQ or The Boardwalk - well one couple stayed at The Beach Club (DVC) but they were able to walk over to The Boardwalk in the morning to catch the same bus.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
Yeah - we offered our guests 3 resorts, POP, POFQ and The Boardwalk. Everyone stayed at either POFQ or The Boardwalk - well one couple stayed at The Beach Club (DVC) but they were able to walk over to The Boardwalk in the morning to catch the same bus.

Linda
We have POP, Movies and POFQ---however there are DVC Members staying at VWL, BCV and BLT. That is husband and I along with bride/groom and siblings at BLT. So we can easily drive over it won't be an issue.

And lurkyloo---are you Carrie---the author of the Passporter Wedding book I read every other day ??!! I'm very new to the Wedding board so pardon me for not realizing it was you. THANK YOU for writing such an informative wedding guidebook

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

No worries! I just hope I can help!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: