Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #331
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerw View Post
Loving the trip report! The drawings are hilarious!! The road trip was a riot. I once drove from SoCal to New Orleans and Texas steals the feeling from you that you might be getting anywhere. And a tumbleweed bigger than my car almost took us out. Also I lived in northern Arizona for a while and have witnessed the moth storms. So very weird and creepy. The insects took turns being plauge-like. One year everywhere we drove we squashed grasshoppers.

Can't wait for the rest. Really one of the funniest I have read.
Awh thanks so much!!!
Oh my goodness it's crazy isn't it??? We hit some of those massive tumbleweeds on the way home. INSANE!
mmmm delicious moth clouds
I really don't mind bugs too much but when they start coming at you like a biblical plague it all changes.

Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
It definitely wasn't a mongoose unless it had escaped from AK, as the mongoose is not native to the US.

Based on the pic that you posted (even though it was not an actual pic of the animal you saw) it most likely would have been a river otter.
Hahaha that is so funny! Well no let's cross mongoose off the list.
Because I'm also not native to the US I'm allowed to make mistakes like that!
Awwwww an otter!!! That is even cuter!!! Haha I seriously just googled things that kind of looked like it and came up with mongoose... but otter makes sense.

Although it did look very out of place.... so maybe it did escape from AK!
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #332
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Yayyyyyy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Wow! What a real life update! Your trip sounds amazing!

Jill in CO

Thanks!! I'm so excited that it is ridiculous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Ah!! Glad you're not dead!! What an exciting trip you guys have planned!! That'll be a totally awesome way to spend a month, that's for sure!!!
Yay I love being not dead!!! ARGH I can't even handle my excitement. I need to punch something NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Sorry about the drama such as car crashes and landlord legal action, but I'm glad you're back and not dead.

Ugh such silly stuff but the landlord is out of our lives for good and my car is all fixed (just for the record I am a fantastic driver and someone hit me, not the other way around) and I'm not dead. HURRAH!

Wow, I never realized that Bek's nose was so much bigger than yours. Yikes.

Somebunny has a large nose!!!

Great picture!

Thanks!! It was a pretty ok day I guess

I think you read the NYC portion of my current trip report, when my wife and daughter spent a few days there. They stayed at the Manhattan Club using DVC points. I don't know what it would cost cash-wise (probably pricey), but it was definitely close to the action. Manhattan Club location The TR may also give you some ideas of things to do. (And mentioning it here gives me an opportunity for a shameless plug )
Oh wow that sounds so amazing!! I'm excited to read all about it! The cash might be a problem but hey I do like being close to the action
Plug away my friend! Everyone should be reading it anyway if they know what's good for them!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #333
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Great to 'hear' from you!

Yay! So happy to be back online

Your trip to the USA in December/January sounds amazing! I am very jealous... when DH and I went to NYC we stayed at the New Yorker hotel, on 34th Street opposite Madison Square Gardens - we got a pretty good deal on it (about $250 a night which seemed reasonable compared to a lot of the other hotels I looked at!), room was small but clean & hotel in a great location

That sounds awesome!! I will definitely look that up! That is a good deal though. NYC is so pricey when it comes to accom! I'm going back to re read your TR when you were in NY

And... I think our trips to WDW may overlap... as I might have signed up for the WDW half marathon in January !!

Emma x
Haha whoops? That is so great though!! Let me know if you're still around as we will leave the arvo of the 11th! Also I'll be in London in Sept for 10ish days so I would love any recommendations aside from the regular tourist stuff that is must sees in your opinion?
Did that sentence even make sense? Gosh I need more coffee today!!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #334
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Haha whoops? That is so great though!! Let me know if you're still around as we will leave the arvo of the 11th! Also I'll be in London in Sept for 10ish days so I would love any recommendations aside from the regular tourist stuff that is must sees in your opinion?
Did that sentence even make sense? Gosh I need more coffee today!!
That would be great - we have booked to stay at the Boardwalk Villas from January 9th - 14th (Half Marathon is on the 11th)

Things to do in London... something that we love doing that isn't too touristy, is walking along the South Bank (side of the Thames where the London Eye is) - you can walk from Waterloo to London Bridge along the river, there's lots of nice cafes/bars/restaurants and often there's street entertainment too It's near Shakespeare's Globe theatre and the Tate Modern too.
Covent Garden is nice to walk around, and so is Borough Market (near London Bridge).

Another fun thing, that is quite touristy, is the Duck Tours! It's a yellow bus/boat that goes past a lot of the landmarks... and then into the Thames for some sailing!

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #335
Mom&RN
Mouseketeer

Welcome Back I was actually away from the DIS for a really long time too (busy, crazy, good things and bad - kinda similar to you!) I have been playing catch up on all threads I follow. Psyched you are back and I'm looking forward to an update. My son and I may be at WDW in January at the same time as you.... nothing booked yet - still planning but he starts college this fall so we'll want to go during his winter break.

2003 - Offsite, 2006 - Offsite, 2007 - Pop, 2009 - AKL, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - Pop, Jan 2013 - BC (WITH Non-DH!!), Sep 2013 - CBR (girls trip!), Feb 2014 - BW (conference), May 2014 - WL (club level!)
Mom&RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #336
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

AHH your trip sounds UNBELIEVABLE. You are so lucky, OMG. I don't even know. Fabulous luggage and OH MY GOD YOUR WEDDING PICTURE IS SO PERFECT. I love it. You guys looked awesome!!

Here are my hotel recommendations for NYC (The prices vary month to month but usually nothing super crazy - I always book when they're on the lower side). I ALWAYS suggest people stay either downtown or further uptown, not in the Times Square/Theater district area (W 40th st-50th-ish). Downtown is my favorite though. If you're not gonna stay downtown, I recommend as near Central Park as can be.

~Hotel Verite - 19th st & Broadway. I LOVE this place because it feels like you are staying at a cool friend's apartment who just happens to have a fabulous, clean, chic, flawlessly decorated room for you upstairs! It's in the middle of the action, but not the annoying Tourist Trap action.

~Sheraton Tribeca ~ Canal St. Being a chain hotel I usually wouldn't recommend it to an out of towner b/c there are so many fun and unique places to stay in NYC but this is a great downtown Tribeca location and it's clean and safe. Sometimes there are amazing deals too, especially b/c you are coming in Jan, you might be able to get one

~Hotel Indigo ~ 28th st. This is in Chelsea, another nice little unique place to stay. Love it here. Chelsea is my favorite neighborhood that is not the Village/Tribeca.

~The Library Hotel - I've never stayed here but it sounds SO COOL. Each room has a different theme and is packed with books regarding that theme. The most popular one is the erotica room, but of course. The funny thing is, as cool as it sounds, who wants to stay in reading books when you could be out in NYC? But still I thought I'd recommend it

~Holiday Inn 57th St: Another chain, but this is a reliable place. Nothing special but I like the area and it's clean and safe. That's the most important thing.

~Hilton Fashion District 26th st. Yet another chain, but this one is pretty cool. It has unique decor and a ridiculously good burger place inside that has an appetizer that includes 3 different kinds of french fries. I mean... whew. I love it.

If you don't stay at one of these places, make sure no matter where you stay, you google "hotel name + bed bugs" and make sure there is no review that mentions a bed bug experience in the past 2 years. There was an outbreak a couple years ago in Manhattan and it was awful so you can not be too careful.
Ok onto your update!!!
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #337
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Yay for being un-dead!! Although it sounds like a vehicle may be worse for wear and your patience tested with an ex-landlord - gosh darn people! Hopefully things will be calmer and quieter in life now.

What an epic trip! I would die of anticipation if I had a 4 week vacation!! You have an awesome plan!

The Monte Carlo is in a great location on the Strip. I stayed there in 2011 for business. The coffee shop there has some amazing banana split waffles!

You make a cute bunny!!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #338
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

So glad to hear from you! Your trip sounds absolutely AMAZING. Wow, I mean... wow. I personally have never stayed at a hotel in NYC... but I've stayed at a Hilton in Newark and another hotel on Long Island... that counts right? Anyways, I'm sure you'll pick a wonderful place! Good luck with everything you've got going on!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #339
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

I miss your updates!
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #340
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Hey! Just found your TR.

Going to read See you in a bit

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
PopArtGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #341
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Awe!! I love Monty!

Reminds me of my Timon.

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #342
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I understand your experience with the hitchhicker. I'd never pick up anyone.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #343
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Wow at least the beginning of your trip is eventful. even if your trip to WDW was boring you'd have something to tell lol

Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #344
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I so understand your love of caffeine, believe me. I have to stop myself and reason with myself about the amount I take in a day lol

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #345
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I feel for you guys when you loose your car. I do the same thing at Wal Mart lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: