Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
PMKPJK
Earning My Ears

Kelly/Wrights Florida Vacation

I never normally put a TR online I just scribble down some notes in a book which I plan to read later but never do! This time as I sit here whilst the house is quiet I'm taking the opportunity to share our first few days with you. On our trip there is me, hubby, son 1 who turns 12 whilst we are here and son 2 who is 9. Along with our pals Jen and Nik who will have their eyes opened to a holiday with two monsters!! Although they assure us they love being around the boys!

We arrived Tuesday to glorious sunshine, not much wait for immigration or hire car and after such a long long winter back home I can't tell you how good that sun felt !

We arrived at Sanford and are staying in Windsor Palms so we had an hour drive - hubby getting used to the traffic and car was fun!

Day 2 saw us waking up at a reasonable time of 6am to rain!! Must point out I had posted before our trip hubby had trapped a nerve in his shoulder, he was in extreme pain before coming which had gradually got better, the rain was not helpful as I thought the heat would help ! it was not great as you know when you come to Florida you want the sun! Not put off by the awful weather predictions for the next few days we ventured to the only place you can on your first day MK. Wow busy was not the word in the car parks , we walked to the entrance as the trams were full and the lines getting bigger . It made a change as we have never walked before. Boys were a little underwhelmed I think - we may have only been 3 times which is not a lot to some but an awful lot to most but I do think the boys don't see the big deal - yet I know some of their mates were pretty envious of them before we came out but my boys were quite blaze about it - see what we do to our children when your only vacation is florida!

Anyway - MK wasn't as crowded as the car park would have us think- boys wanted to go to splash mountain which was only a 10 minute wait as was thunder mountain , hubby coped well with the rides as we all enjoyed them. We strolled around the park certainly giving those rides we have done when the boys smaller a miss when we got to Fantasyland it was absolutely heaving - we commented on how pleased we were that the boys didn't wish to go on any of the smaller rides anymore. Even so I have to say you do feel as though you should be on them like that feeling of missing out on something! I soon got over that and headed off to the new part of Fantasyland, the construction work is still ongoing and there fore the new part seems small, however as we were so tired we missed bits and I can't wait to go back when We are all awake!

The rain started just as we got to tomorrow land we did space mountain then got some food but the rain meant business and lashed it down! We decided enough was enough and popped to vinelands premium outlets on our way home but we were to tired to shop! I really had forgotten what jet lag was like! Early night for all was in order ....

Day 3 well what a difference a good nights sleep makes! Hubby and I commented on the fact the day before we had felt very tired which had a huge impact on our mood and didn't appreciate MK as much as we know we do. On our previous trip we went shopping on day 1 and generally chilled out and I think hitting the park was a mistake for us, but no fear we will be back there soon!

Today we headed for AK not my favourite park normally but today we really had a lovely day. We did most things other than Everest (hubby's back problem!) and Nemo, we also didn't do the Lion King, we do enjoy the show but this time just didn't feel the need to see it again. The boys weren't interested either so we gave it a miss. Until around 3pm the weather stayed cloudy but dry but then the heavens opened and the cheap ponchos we had bought earlier came into play! We thought we would go to Rafikis Planet Watch as I remember it being undercover........well that's after you've walked to the train walked from the train and then into the lovely cold air conditioned room..! We didn't stay long and when we came out it was raining so hard we just had to laugh at us all stomping through the puddles in the ridiculous ponchos , we went to the entrance to meet our friends who had luckily just missed the downpour and were dry. Us four however were soaking but hey we were in florida so we had to be happy (a mantra I kept telling myself when I felt cold and wet, I'd rather be here than home and wet and cold!). I honestly thought that it would never get warm and how awful it would be for us if it didn't. Tea was the outback. Hubby had longed for his America. Steakhouse and we enjoyed it immensely.

Day 4 - well the forecast was rain all day so we took the strategy that IOA would be quiet if people thought it would be raining, an you know what it was! We paid the extra $5 for preferred parking which for the cost was worth as it really is a long walk to the parks . The sun was shining and it was beautiful and hot, it stayed liked that all day reminding us why we lOve it here- thank goodness for wrong weather forecasts!

We had a 10 min wait for Harry Potter and it was every bit as Great as we remembered , us four love the movies and we love walking through Hogwarts and being part of HP. Son1 bought himself some Jelly beans of every flavour $10 I may add as was his chocolate frog - we discussed the fact that children are drawn to these things and the prices a very high and as a parent on holiday you feel that they should have something from one of the shops and as a parent you do feel guilty if you say no. To combat this (I hate feeling guilty when I know its the right decision) we gave the boys $50 each and they had also been given money from their grandparents, this is their money to spend as they wish - we will only say no if we really do think it is a waste of money, As I said son1 bought the sweets son2 however had set his heart on another wand, he has bought voldrmorts in 2011 so now he has bought himself dumbledore - they are both so different the wands and our boys !

We took in the atmosphere as we strolled around the park going on rides an eating ice cream as the sun was baking hot an we loved it! It was especially welcome after rip saw falls and the bilge barges we got soaking but what great rides the boys thought they were fab and of course enjoy getting wet! I bought them a change of clothes with us, but didn't bring me or hubby any ....... We stayed wet, really wet for a while!

Boys loved this park an we didn't get chance to go over to universal and will be back next week..

Day 4 shopping today and chilling At the villa pool which given half the chance this is what the boys would do every day. Trying to read was difficult my boys are SO loud and you do try not to tell them to be quiet all the time they are on holiday right !! But sometimes they go a little to crazy and tempers are frayed (especially After a day in the sun) so stearn words including -behaviour, listening and consideration (the usual for a 11 an 9 year old!) were used , but all in all a nice chilled day. That was until we decided to visit HS for May the 4th be with you .......wow weeeee busy busy busy! Rock and roller coaster was closed so our friends couldn't go on it, fantasmic was full when we turned up at 9 but we did get to watch the AMAZING Star Wars fireworks they were outstanding , getting out of the park was another story!!

Well the house is now alive so my time to sign off has come ..... I hope I haven't bored you all too much !
PMKPJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
carrieconnell
Earning My Ears

Enjoyed reading your report. It's always a disappointment when you go expecting sunshine every day and all you get is rain. We've had a lot of rain on some trips but at the end of the holiday all you remeber is the sunshine and the good times. We always stay at a villa and really enjoy our days at the pool. Looking forward to reading more.

carrieconnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: