Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1516
jobro912
Mouseketeer

Nope, Leebee...you don't. My son is still in the "Not Sure" stage. He is proceeding with his university as if he will be there in the Fall. A few variations, but still...He found out this week that he was moved to the Honor's Dorm...and if he went off for Fall, that room would be gone. He still hasn't heard about scholarships other than some will defer, some won't...his department approved a grand total of 0 hours of credit for DCP, and his department is also doing a Shakespeare work in the fall, which they only do every other year....the next time it comes around he will be in his internship and won't get to do it...So like I said...he is proceeding with DCP, and proceeding as if he will be in school in the Fall. He wants both, but can't have both. LOL. I would hate for him to never be able to do the program if he backs out, but a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #1517
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro912 View Post
Nope, Leebee...you don't. My son is still in the "Not Sure" stage. He is proceeding with his university as if he will be there in the Fall. A few variations, but still...He found out this week that he was moved to the Honor's Dorm...and if he went off for Fall, that room would be gone. He still hasn't heard about scholarships other than some will defer, some won't...his department approved a grand total of 0 hours of credit for DCP, and his department is also doing a Shakespeare work in the fall, which they only do every other year....the next time it comes around he will be in his internship and won't get to do it...So like I said...he is proceeding with DCP, and proceeding as if he will be in school in the Fall. He wants both, but can't have both. LOL. I would hate for him to never be able to do the program if he backs out, but a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do.
IIRC, your son also auditioned for an entertainment role and made it further through the audition than my DD. I think for DD a large part of this is NOT being able to dance while in FL. She doesn't drive, so she'd be reliant on public transportation to get to classes. Being able to squeeze in dance while trying to do two courses (one Disney, one online) and work 45 hours a week would prove almost impossible. She can't not dance... just not happening... so I think that's a big part of it. She is considering turning down the offer for fall and applying for a Spring/Spring Advantage role. This will give her an opportunity to re-audition for an entertainment role, although if they are cutting everyone around her very common height (5'6" although that was 5'4.5" at Disney) there will never be an opportunity for her to dance at Disney. I just hope she'll be happy with WHATEVER she decides to do (and maybe get her license to make the decision easier!)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #1518
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Thank you so much for your help Roger, I'll put my moblie/cell and landline down on it
Pleasure, Ma'am. Better safe than sorry, and it doesn't hurt anything. Here's hoping she'll never need it.

Thanks again for reminding me that I needed to order mine. It's going to be later, but I'll get it shipped down as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I think for DD a large part of this is NOT being able to dance while in FL. She doesn't drive, so she'd be reliant on public transportation to get to classes.
There's honestly numerous ways for her to go about getting transportation, as I have enough people ask on a regular basis where dance and yoga studios are located in the area and recommendations. She could always find a friend, or a couple of friends that would be willing to go by a studio and practise.

In the end, you are correct that it's her decision. As a College student, and a son, thank you for respecting that.

Have a Magical Day!

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #1519
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRadcliffe View Post
Pleasure, Ma'am. Better safe than sorry, and it doesn't hurt anything. Here's hoping she'll never need it.

Thanks again for reminding me that I needed to order mine. It's going to be later, but I'll get it shipped down as soon as possible.

There's honestly numerous ways for her to go about getting transportation, as I have enough people ask on a regular basis where dance and yoga studios are located in the area and recommendations. She could always find a friend, or a couple of friends that would be willing to go by a studio and practise.

In the end, you are correct that it's her decision. As a College student, and a son, thank you for respecting that.

Have a Magical Day!
You're welcome! It's hard sometimes, to separate wanting her to have her dreams from me wanting to live my dream vicariously through her. I'll admit it makes me a little sad to hear that she might not do the CP, because it wasn't an option when I was in college, and I think she'd LOVE it. However, she won't love it if she isn't there for herself, or is wondering about classes back home or worrying about not dancing regularly. I know she'll come to the best decision for her, and I will reign in my personal feelings and support what she decides. I just want her to be happy!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #1520
Shelly
Doesn't know that anyone can be tagged, you just have to be in the right place at the right time......wherever that is!

Hi I tried doing a search but there are long threads to look thru. I am staying at contemporary and taking a cab with my daughter to check in. Is there an address I can give to the cab driver?
Thank you.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1521
gkalas
Earning My Ears

Sorry if this has been covered, but my son was accepted into the fall program and we are coming down with him in August to check him in. Does Disney provide any type of room and/or ticket discounts for families helping their kids move in?
gkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #1522
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Hi I tried doing a search but there are long threads to look thru. I am staying at contemporary and taking a cab with my daughter to check in. Is there an address I can give to the cab driver?
Thank you.
13501 Meadow Creek Drive
Orlando FL 32821

If you tell him Vista Way Apartments he may actually know where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalas View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but my son was accepted into the fall program and we are coming down with him in August to check him in. Does Disney provide any type of room and/or ticket discounts for families helping their kids move in?
There are no discounts available other than what is available to the general public.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #1523
carol-lamb
DIS Veteran

They get their main gate passes and cast member discounts (merchandise, resorts, food, etc.) after they complete Traditions, which is after move in.
Spring '86, Summer '89, Spring '92, Summer '97, Summer '98, Summer '01, Spring '03, Summer '04, Summer '05, Christmas '05, Summer '06, Christmas '06, Summer '07, Christmas '07, Summer '08, Christmas '08, Winter '09, Summer '09, Fall '09, Christmas '09, Easter '10, May '10, Summer '10, Fall '10, Christmas '10, Spring '11, Summer '11, Fall '11, Christmas '11, March '12, Summer '12, Fall '12, Christmas '12, January '13, March '13, April '13, June '13, Disneyland August '13, January '14, March '14, June '14, July '14! August '14, Disneyland August '14, Sept. '14,
carol-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #1524
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol-lamb
They get their main gate passes and cast member discounts (merchandise, resorts, food, etc.) after they complete Traditions, which is after move in.
Which may not be for a few days after they move in...
Some kids go to traditions the next day, some don't for a day or two. I saw a couple of kids who didn't get to go for almost a week because of issues with paperwork. And it stinks because there's not a whole lot for them to do that doesn't cost $$ until they get their maingate (they can't go to the parks for free until they get their maingate) and it really stinks when they're the only one who doesn't have it!
DD didn't get to go to Traditions until day Four (with move in day being day one). So she had TWO down days...one wasn't bad, we did our shopping and all. But I felt like the other was totally wasted. It stunk!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #1525
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post

Which may not be for a few days after they move in...
Some kids go to traditions the next day, some don't for a day or two. I saw a couple of kids who didn't get to go for almost a week because of issues with paperwork. And it stinks because there's not a whole lot for them to do that doesn't cost $$ until they get their maingate (they can't go to the parks for free until they get their maingate) and it really stinks when they're the only one who doesn't have it!
DD didn't get to go to Traditions until day Four (with move in day being day one). So she had TWO down days...one wasn't bad, we did our shopping and all. But I felt like the other was totally wasted. It stunk!
Just a clarification they will get their ID at Traditions. They will not get their maingate at traditions. Their ID will only get them in not family and friends. Their maingate will come in the mail 2 to 3 weeks after traditions.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #1526
RogerRadcliffe
Imagineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
Just a clarification they will get their ID at Traditions. They will not get their maingate at traditions. Their ID will only get them in not family and friends. Their maingate will come in the mail 2 to 3 weeks after traditions.
Seconded as many overlook this.

ID's are given out at Traditions, which is typically the 3rd or 4th day of the program.

Have a Magical Day!

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
―Walt Disney
RogerRadcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #1527
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza

Thank you for correcting my terminology! I was thinking their 'blue ID card' was called their 'maingate' but you are right. The maingate is the card that allows them to take guests in. Thanks for correcting my misuse of the titles!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #1528
checkwriter
DIS Veteran

May 20 - tomorrow!

#1 son arrived safely in Orlando after a looong (14+ hours over two days) solo drive, is tucked away in a decent hotel about 15 minutes from Vista, and he's looking forward to checking in tomorrow morning. Best of luck to all the other May 20 starters out there!

Be a Little Like Bawb Today
checkwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #1529
Kaler131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkwriter View Post
#1 son arrived safely in Orlando after a looong (14+ hours over two days) solo drive, is tucked away in a decent hotel about 15 minutes from Vista, and he's looking forward to checking in tomorrow morning. Best of luck to all the other May 20 starters out there!
My daughter checks in tomorrow too!!

WDW Trips: Offsite 1984,1994,1997,2000 ; ASMu 1999,2009, 2012 ;ASsp 2001 ; Poly/OKW 2002 ; POP 2005,2006,2007, 2008, 2012, 2013; HRH ; DLR 2012; AOA 2013; POFQ 2013; CBR 2013; BCR 2013
Kaler131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #1530
Ziggy
Playing guitar with the spiders from mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkwriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler131 View Post
My daughter checks in tomorrow too!!
Good luck to them , my dd checks in on the June 3rd

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: