Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Here's one other thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned. Each style camera has its pros and cons. Point and shoots are great to keep in a pocket just in case. However, they are severely limited in the distance they can take a picture. The typical lense interchangeable dslrs are bigger but the reach out and touch distance is much much greater.

For example. On the Fantasy Maiden, I had both my Sea life point and shoot and my Nikon D3000. Standing at Margaritraville, with both the Magic and Fantasy tied to the pier in Cozumel, I used my Nikon and got really detailed pictures of the 2 side by side. Prob about 1/2 mile. For giggles I took out my Sea life and it didn't come anywhere near what the DSLR did. The overall photo quality itself as far as defects were roughly the same however more detail was avail from the Nikon. And that was with a 200 mm lense. The 300 mm lense would have been even more detailed. The other advantage is that along with what other said is that you can get different lenses for different things and settings.

What I would do is look hard at what you want the camera to do, with what budget and make a decision from there.

Last edited by truck1; 05-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
AntonioOtero
Earning My Ears

Please remember Nikon dx camera are cropped sensors. Therefore you 200mm is closer to 350mm full frame fx cameras. This is true at wide angle too, so at 12mm you are closer to 18-20mm.

This is true for anything than full frame camera with all manufacturers. You has to look at the sensor size.
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #33
Niebz
DIS Veteran

I recently purchased a sony A57 and I love it. I was first drawn to it because of the continuous auto-focus which allows for amazing high-def video. It's so nice to have video and stills on one camera. It also takes amazing photos. I'm a novice photographer and the auto settings and live-view features make it so easy to take very professional, artistic looking shots. In a way it functions as a point and shoot but with higher quality results. The more advanced features are pretty easy to figure out as well as there are tips and how-to guides right on the LCD screen. It's also affordable at around $500-600 with basic lens kit.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: