Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Confused about resort???

Hi Fellow DISers!
My family and I are going to Disney Jan2014 for son's First trip to Disney!!! He's turning 5 in January and daughter is turning 10, so we want to celebrate over their birthdays or at least near them. I thought I had the lodging decided with WL. This week I found out MIL might come with us. Which is great! However, this would put 5 in a room which changes the lodging choices. Also, she's moves really slow and needs to sit down a lot, so she won't be going commando with us. It'll be a different type of trip on the days she comes with us to the parks.

My questions are: what resort would you recommend? We want to be near MK. Also, if MIL will be spending lots of resort time, what can she do during the day if we're at the parks???

Thanks!

TX Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

POR has rooms that sleep five so that might be an option. Also why not rent her a scooter for the week. We do this for my mother every time we go and they will deliver it to your hotel. Can range anywhere from 160-200$ a week.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
Hi Fellow DISers!
My family and I are going to Disney Jan2014 for son's First trip to Disney!!! He's turning 5 in January and daughter is turning 10, so we want to celebrate over their birthdays or at least near them. I thought I had the lodging decided with WL. This week I found out MIL might come with us. Which is great! However, this would put 5 in a room which changes the lodging choices. Also, she's moves really slow and needs to sit down a lot, so she won't be going commando with us. It'll be a different type of trip on the days she comes with us to the parks.

My questions are: what resort would you recommend? We want to be near MK. Also, if MIL will be spending lots of resort time, what can she do during the day if we're at the parks???

Thanks!
Have you thought about the Contemporary? You can walk (or MIL can use her EVC if she is using one) to the Magic Kingdom in about 5 minutes. You MIL could hang out at the pool, or I believe there is a beach at the Contemporary.

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
Hi Fellow DISers!

Thanks!
Not sure what your budget is, but any of the monorail resorts would be a good choice, IMO. The CR is within walking distance to MK, the GF is just 1 monorail stop away with the Poly just 2 monorail stops away. Our favorite is the Poly (although we haven't stayed at the CR yet) and your MIL can hang out by the pool and/or beach or stroll around the resort. With that said, I think any of the monorail resorts would be good as they are all great. I'd choose by which theme you like the best. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Thank you mickeynut1, cfw213 and babydoll65. Babydoll65, I think we want to stay closer to MK and really don't want to have to take a bus to every single park. Thanks for the advice on POR though. Definately, want to try it someday.

CFW213 and Babydoll65, how is the Poly v. CR? We haven't stayed at either one. I love that Cr is walking distance to MK; however, I've always wanted to stay at POLY. How are the Poly rooms? Renovated lately?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
morgy827
DIS Veteran

the Poly rooms are slowly being renovated. you can check the renovation schedule at Tikimanpages to see what building are done...oh edit that...the buildings "should" all be done by jan 2014
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgy827 View Post
the Poly rooms are slowly being renovated. you can check the renovation schedule at Tikimanpages to see what building are done...oh edit that...the buildings "should" all be done by jan 2014
Thanks for the update! Would the room be too crowded with 5? 3 adults and 2 kids??? Also, what bldg should I request?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
AprilJ26
Mouseketeer

I don't know how crowded it will be, but we're going to have 4 adults, a 9 year old, and a 2 year old in a Poly room in just a few weeks! I'm not worried about being crammed in a room because we'll be spending more time out of the room than in. I'm just excited to be staying at the Poly!

AprilJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

I hope you have a wonderful vacation! We've only stayed at the AKL, so the thought of staying at the Poly or CR is so exciting!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I would choose CR tower room over Poly. Poly is very spread out, she could have a long walk from the monorail to the room. At CR tower rooms, the elevator is right after the escalator from the monorail.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
goodferry
DIS Veteran

Personally I would look at renting points and staying at BLT. One room is going to be tight with three adults and two kiddos. There are villas at WL too, so that's an option also.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I like the Polynesian. It's not my all time favorite but it's a fun and beautiful place to stay. You will have two queen beds as well as a day bed. I would think that your MIL could take the daybed, and you and dh could be in one queen and the two kiddos in the other queen. Or, dh sleeps with ds and you sleep with dd...gives everyone a bit more room and the kids won't be squabbling!!!

Your MIL can relax in the room, out on the balcony if there is one, or just sit by the pool. Very nice resort to just 'be' in.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

I would go with the CT too or BLT if a one bedroom is within your budget. You just can't beat the walk to the MK. I would strongly suggest your mother hires an ECV.

Also there are deluxe rooms at WL which sleep 6. If you had you heart set on the lodge you could still go there. The is also the WVL - You would need a 2 bedroom villa.

Both BLT and VWL would give you a full kitchen and washer dryer and would be more pleasant for your mother on days she decide to stay in resort.

If you are looking for another option you can fit 6 in a cabin at FW. I would not recommend this because of your mother mobility issues but there is a boat from the cabins to MK.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry View Post
Personally I would look at renting points and staying at BLT. One room is going to be tight with three adults and two kiddos. There are villas at WL too, so that's an option also.
definitely consider BLT 1-bedroom (or 2-bedroom if you can afford it).

then you get - king bed, queen sleeper sofa and chair bed - w/2nd bedroom - 2 queen beds or queen bed and double sleeper sofa.

1-bedroom - 2 TV's - 2-bedroom 3
1-bedroom - 2 bathroom 2-bedroom 3 bathrooms

plus with BLT the activity center is in the building - VWL does not have one. So if she gets bored (since Disney has expanded the tv - not likely) - she can do things. that say if she is like my mother - she will want to be with your family all the time - even when she can not do it.

so expect those times. make sure she brings something - book - e-book, computer - whatever that she needs for she entertainment.

the activity center also has DVD and games. so your kids might enjoy it too.

the pool is not very deep - it does have a bunch of kids.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

Ok, now I'm thinking about 1br BLT, CR Tower room, or Poly CL. The only thing that concerns me is the Sleeper Chair in the 1BR....I'm not sure who'd sleep there and how comfortable it is? With Poly CL, we'd all have somewhere to go to eat/relax near the room. Also, the Poly looks SO BEAUTIFUL!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: