Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Too loud that has got to be the lamest excuse ever.
Quite! Tell that to the annoying pool party people!! And to Bob Jackson come to that.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

That's terrible news!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

Oh no, I was looking forward to relaxing at the resort one evening and listening to him. I guess that will be less money I spend at the resort.

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyEars View Post
We got an email from him last week telling us about his dismissal. He said Disney told him the main reason they were letting him go was because he was too loud but Disney preferred to tell guests it was because of the lobby renovations.
One night during our last trip we stayed for his entire show. He kept picking on me and would just laugh when my face turned bright red.
We really enjoyed him. He will be missed.

Carla
Disney is telling people that he will be back after renovations, but it isn't true. His contract was terminated.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
Disappointing! I was going to spend an evening over at Scat Cat's to see him perform. Well not now. Less money for me to spend on alcohol.
We always plan our Disney trips so we are there Wednesday through Saturday so we can see him no matter where we stay - even if we are at Universal. We booked POFQ for his last night and most likely our last stay there. I too will be spending less on drinks and I guess we will be getting more rest on our trips as we won't have anywhere to go in the evening.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Disney is telling people that he will be back after renovations, but it isn't true. His contract was terminated.
I've just heard from one of my contacts at Port Orleans that this is indeed related to the lobby refurb at POFQ, during which time they will not have any live music - but that entertainment will be returning to the area sometime afterwards. He says this means Elliot could easily return after then, but equally the entertainment division might also be looking at other options matching with the theme of the resort. In short, Elliot might get offered a new contact after the hiatus, but it looks like no decision has been made. I have no idea whether they've put it to him in those sort of terms though. I'd guess the reduction in bar takings would be what the suits would notice most though.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

So, is anyone planning on going to Elliot's last night at Scat Cat's tonight? I really do hope this is only "au revoir" rather than goodbye, and that Disney do the right thing and bring him back after the lobby refurb.

Andre

Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
snoopy two
Mouseketeer

Good point about "loud" pool activities. I would much rather they cut those daily pool parties than Elliot. We'll miss him.
snoopy two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy two View Post
Good point about "loud" pool activities. I would much rather they cut those daily pool parties than Elliot. We'll miss him.
Yes!!! Completely agree!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I really do hope this is only "au revoir" rather than goodbye, and that Disney do the right thing and bring him back after the lobby refurb.
Ditto, and I hope a lot of people show tonight to let him know he'll be missed.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

It appears that Elliott has been permantely replaced.

Portorleans.org is reporting that Tom Casey will be performing at Scat Cat's Club beginning on 7/19.

Quote:
Now that the lobby refurbishment at Port Orleans French Quarter is complete, entertainment offerings at Scat Cat’s Lounge will resume on Friday, July 19.

Musician Tom Casey will join Scat Cat’s Lounge, performing a dynamic blend of piano and jazz vocals. Tom has previously performed at a variety of venues across the Walt Disney World Resort, including providing vacation cover for French Quarter's previous resident musician, Elliot Dyson.

Performances will take place Friday through Monday at 8:30pm, 9:30pm and 10:30pm. There are no performances scheduled on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
sseely40851
Mouseketeer

Elliott too loud?

Last year (Mar 2012) when we arrived at POFQ at 11 PM, and the renovations were underway, Elliott was going strong in his show. With no appreciation for Elliott at the time, we were quite annoyed when we had to shout too be heard while checking in.

The problem, however wasn't Elliott, but the layout. He is trying to entertain people while playing 40-50 feet away from the check-in counters.

We sat in on his shows a couple of nights and our teen son said Elliott's shows were his favorite part of the trip. He's a fantastic entertainer and will be hard to replace.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Was it terminated due to Disney's choice or his choice? DS is also a musician, who met him when he (DS) was starting his career. At that time, Elliot also played at Universal Studios. We'll never forget his kindness-at that time Elliot was also playing at the Jazz Club in the (former) Pleasure Island. Since he knew DS needed experience performing in front of groups, he invited DS to join him in performing. A great performer, and also a class act. If his termination was his choice, OK, but if Disney's, very poor move.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: