Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #271
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
There are plenty of options for all sorts of diets at Palo! I do have to say that many of the best options are for those who eat seafood. I'm not sure if you noticed the little scallop on the spoon, but that was one of the best bites that they had on the buffet.

I have a philosophy when it comes to buffets. Always start with the cold stuff, salads and seafoods first, then I try any hot foods on the buffet or fruits. If there is an ordered course like Palo that's usually next, and in the case of Palo there are a few of those. Then dessert. Fran takes the approach, eat your dessert throughout your meal in case they run out of anything!

The best bet is to go to the location in whichever bar where they are booking, there is a shorter line and I believe that if I had not booked with Claudette in the room where they were booking special food events, I wouldn't have got the special exemption.
I gotta say I LOVE FRAN'S APPROACH.....100% agree
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #272
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
It will take me while to get to the chocolate tasting, and that will also be bittersweet since it will mean the cruise is almost over. I hope you're surviving the heatwave right now. The good news is that when you get down here, we will be back to normal temperatures. Thank goodness we have only 5-10% humidity.

Yeah, it was awesome! I was totally relaxed and ready for that massage. And I'm sure it would have been right up your alley!
one of these days, we are going to have to try it out, martinis, then a massage, see how we like it..

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #273
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
I'm not exactly able to pin point what is different about the Navigators, but I don't like them nearly as much either. Stuff wasn't listed in the timing schedules that I expected, and too much of it was just ads and the same every day.
I think it is mainly the huge characters that bother me. As much as I love Disney, all those characters just make the Navigator look messy. I don't look at the Navigator because it looks pretty. I look at it because I want information.

Quote:
I wonder what Carioca's will be like when it replaces Parrot Cay? I didn't realize Mickey did the wake up calls at the GCH, I guess I've been so tired when I've stayed I never noticed.
I love the concept art. It looks very bright, airy and inviting. I am not sure about the menu. It mentions Latin American cuisine, but that does not mean all that much to me.

Quote:
The 17th is the day we're meeting up right? We should have one of those ice globe Martinis!
It is indeed, I can't believe that the 17th is only 2 weeks away. I can't wait. One of those Martinis sounds wonderful.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #274
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:

There are plenty of options for all sorts of diets at Palo! I do have to say that many of the best options are for those who eat seafood. I'm not sure if you noticed the little scallop on the spoon, but that was one of the best bites that they had on the buffet.

I have a philosophy when it comes to buffets. Always start with the cold stuff, salads and seafoods first, then I try any hot foods on the buffet or fruits. If there is an ordered course like Palo that's usually next, and in the case of Palo there are a few of those. Then dessert. Fran takes the approach, eat your dessert throughout your meal in case they run out of anything!

The best bet is to go to the location in whichever bar where they are booking, there is a shorter line and I believe that if I had not booked with Claudette in the room where they were booking special food events, I wouldn't have got the special exemption.
Great advice - thanks so much!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #275
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
I gotta say I LOVE FRAN'S APPROACH.....100% agree
I'm glad you like it, she corrected me on this, she doesn't always eat the dessert pieces, but in case there are none left on the buffet, at least she has it sitting on the table so no one else gets it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
one of these days, we are going to have to try it out, martinis, then a massage, see how we like it..
I think you will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I think it is mainly the huge characters that bother me. As much as I love Disney, all those characters just make the Navigator look messy. I don't look at the Navigator because it looks pretty. I look at it because I want information.

I love the concept art. It looks very bright, airy and inviting. I am not sure about the menu. It mentions Latin American cuisine, but that does not mean all that much to me.

It is indeed, I can't believe that the 17th is only 2 weeks away. I can't wait. One of those Martinis sounds wonderful.

Corinna
I noticed that there was "less information" in them than on the MR cruise. What I didn't like was that the tastings weren't in the daily schedule. There were probably other things that weren't listed, but I didn't notice them. There was a lot of blank space as I take another look.

I'll have to search out what they want to do to the Magic, I haven't seen any of the ideas and sketches.

Will you have access to your email on the trip? If not, perhaps we should set up a meeting time in advance, I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great advice - thanks so much!
Anything I can do to help!
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #276
franandaj

When we reached the spa, we had to fill out the usual questionnaire regarding health issues etc. Then we were taken back to change into our robes.

My massage therapist was awesome! I forgot her name, but in the 50 minutes, she got every one of my achey spots, did a great job on my feet and I left feeling very relaxed in general.

After our massages we were definitely a little hungry, even though we had several hours to dinner I didn’t want to fill up. It was formal night and we were at Lumiere’s and I knew they served basically the same menu as Triton’s. We stopped by Pluto’s Dog House and were astonished to find out that they DO NOT SERVE HOT DOGS!

I ended up with a taco and Fran got a burger. We also got the drinks of the day, Mai Tais. Notice Fran's nice mug she got at Walmart, keeps beverages cold for 12 hours and warm for six hours.

The kids pool was pretty empty.

Then we headed back to the room for showers and to get ready for pictures and dinner. They were taking professional photos in the lobby so we made our way down there with plenty of time before dinner.

Here are some of the shots that we took.

Then we headed off to dinner to enjoy with our companions.

[Continued in Next Post]
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #277
franandaj

[Continued from Previous Post]

Dinner was at Lumiere’s, but I am recycling my menu from Triton’s as they were identical in content.

I got my usual Belevedere Gisbon Up, and Fran ordered the Imagination.

Fran got the Applewood Smoked Bacon and Wild Mushroom Tart.

I wasn’t wild about this on the Wonder so I got the Tomato and Basil Soup. It was pretty good.

Then we both got the French Onion Soup. This is always excellent!

I ordered a bottle of wine to go with my meat course on the previous night and they were able to bring what was left of it to me for tonight’s dinner.

Fran had the Sea Bass for her entrée

I went with the Lamb Shank.

It was quite good, slow cooked and very tender. I know I couldn’t finish it all, I never can.

Since I had forgotten to take a picture of the dessert menu at Triton’s, I did take a picture of tonight’s menu. I was starting to feel a little more comfortable with taking a lot of pictures in front of our table mates. The ones who were missing the night before joined us and they were very nice. The woman seemed very interested in the fact that I had a “blog”.

Now I really took the pictures of the menu for you folks. I didn’t need to read to menu at all. I knew exactly what I was having. The beautiful Grand Mariner Souffle. So good, I had two of them. Again.

Fran got the Brioche and Pannetone Pudding.

On our way out, I took a picture of the mural. I think the one in Triton’s is more impressive. Sorry.

And again we returned to the room to find our towel animal and the Navigator.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #278
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Love the formal pics!

Jill in CO
Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #279
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
I hope you're surviving the heatwave right now. The good news is that when you get down here, we will be back to normal temperatures. Thank goodness we have only 5-10% humidity.
Yay for cooler temps! It's been pretty warm up here and quite a few North wind days which kill me allergy wise. See you Monday!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #280
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Lovely photos from formal night and great to see pics of Vista Spa

I've got a massage booked on The Wonder and I am guessing the spas look pretty similar?
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #281
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great pictures of you and Fran. You look really good together.

And the food looks spectacular.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #282
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Martinis and massage, on formal night = Beautiful pictures, you two look very relaxed, and happy!

The lamb shank would have been my choice also. I tend to order a lot of duck and lamb when we are on the ship!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #283
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I love the purple dress, you both look fantastic! Great photos, frame worthy. You both look relaxed and happy, just like vacation should be.

I've read mixed reviews about the French onion soup but it looks so good. I love French opinion and can't wait to try it.

The lamb shank looks huge, do the servers care if you share entrees? I see Joshua and I sharing this. Thanks for posting the menus too. I love to plan what I may order even if its 9 months out.

Pluto's Dog House doesn't sell hotdogs? Thats funny.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #284
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Will you have access to your email on the trip? If not, perhaps we should set up a meeting time in advance, I'm looking forward to it!
I will have my iPhone and my iPad with me. I know they have WiFi at the Grand Californian so I will definitely check my emails when I get up. Do they have WiFi in the parks now?

The formal night photos have come out great. I like Lumiere's, but I always have preferred Triton's. The theme just seems to work better. I always have both soups at Triton's/ Lumiere's, too as I do not really rate any of the appetizers, but I love both soups.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #285
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Love the formal pics!

Jill in CO
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Yay for cooler temps! It's been pretty warm up here and quite a few North wind days which kill me allergy wise. See you Monday!
Looking forward to seeing you Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Lovely photos from formal night and great to see pics of Vista Spa

I've got a massage booked on The Wonder and I am guessing the spas look pretty similar?
Yes, I found the spas were pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great pictures of you and Fran. You look really good together.

And the food looks spectacular.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Martinis and massage, on formal night = Beautiful pictures, you two look very relaxed, and happy!

The lamb shank would have been my choice also. I tend to order a lot of duck and lamb when we are on the ship!
It was really good, I enjoyed the lamb very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I love the purple dress, you both look fantastic! Great photos, frame worthy. You both look relaxed and happy, just like vacation should be.

I've read mixed reviews about the French onion soup but it looks so good. I love French opinion and can't wait to try it.

The lamb shank looks huge, do the servers care if you share entrees? I see Joshua and I sharing this. Thanks for posting the menus too. I love to plan what I may order even if its 9 months out.

Pluto's Dog House doesn't sell hotdogs? Thats funny.
I don't think the servers would be willing to let you split entrees only because they will bring you two of something if you can't choose. They are so much into excessive feeding more than reasonable. You'll see later when I try to order a half portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I will have my iPhone and my iPad with me. I know they have WiFi at the Grand Californian so I will definitely check my emails when I get up. Do they have WiFi in the parks now?

The formal night photos have come out great. I like Lumiere's, but I always have preferred Triton's. The theme just seems to work better. I always have both soups at Triton's/ Lumiere's, too as I do not really rate any of the appetizers, but I love both soups.

Corinna
I think they have WiFi in the parks now as well. When is your reservation at Goofy's?

Yeah I didn't really like the appetizer choices, so I went for the soups.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: