Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

Anyone been on a royal carribean cruise

I am booked on a sampler cruise next week (2night) Southampton to le harve. on the adventure of the seas ship.

I'm wondering what are the prices like on board, I have already purchased the unlimited soda package £6.93 for a child and £9.90 for adult. Hoping this is good deal.

I have only cruised on Disney and Thomson in the past.

We are not going ashore in le harve, going to make the most of the ship as its our only full day on it. Plus prices for the excursions are

What about the tip situation.

Any tips and advice would be grateful
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Never been on r c

Trying a two nighter myself on same ship 5 may.

We are on any time dining and already paid tips

Would have liked alcohol package but not available

eeyorefanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
scottishgirl87
DIS Veteran

I've been on 2 Royal Caribbean cruise - Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera and Explorer of the Seas to the Caribbean.

I would say a 2 night sampler cruise will probably be quite different to the cruises I've been on but generally alcohol onboard is quite expensive. On cruises I generally drink cocktails, boyfriend beers, and it's about $8-$10 a cocktail and $4 a beer. It is usually the norm to tip for every drink, however, we generally stick to tipping only the one's where someone has actually came over to serve us, rather than us making the trip to the bar as it can add up!
[/center]
scottishgirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

I would love to do a sampler cruise, are they very expensive, if you dont mind me asking?

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

Going to miss you, I'm on the 7th may cruise.
And it was a good deal It was £179, but I used my VA flight points and booked via virgin holidays.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida sun View Post
I would love to do a sampler cruise, are they very expensive, if you dont mind me asking?
Some start at 149. Also few weeks back some went down 129. Highest i saw was 249 I think. All depends when book

P and o have two nighter for 199 for next year but have seen those go down to 139 I think

Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

My parents went with Royal Caribbean 2 yrs ago and loved it. They had previously been with P&O and didn't enjoy it as the staff looked down on the passengers. Where as it was totally different on RCL and the staff were all very friendly.

Prices weren't too bad but its difficult to gauge as my parents sailed for 14 nights and they prepaid their tips before they went which was a lot easier. From what I recall they got tea & coffee in their rooms included and could get lemonade for no cost at the cafe but Cokes were payable.

My parents never done any of the excursions but went ashore and usually got a taxi into town or walked depending on how far it was.

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,

Last edited by tennisfan; 05-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
sharon78
DIS Veteran

We've been on 3. We went on a 3 night one first as my girls we're invited to dance on The Independence of the Sea's with there Dance group. Beautiful ship and something I never thought we would do, we loved it.

The second time most of us from the dance group went again as we all enjoyed it so much, this time we went on Vision of the seas. 7 nights

Then the third time we went there were just 15 of us, this time we went on Grandeur of the Sea's for 7 nights.

As for tips, envelopes are left in your stateroom's, they tell you on them what the suggested amounts are per night, per person. They leave one for stateroom attendant, Headwaiter, waiter and assistant waiter.
Saying that we never have put the suggested amount in, it comes to so many dollars. The waiter and assistant waiters that we have had have always been really lovely and have had a good laugh with us, saying that when there's a large group of you that are good friends it always makes it more fun. So we have always given them there envelopes ourselves.

Also if your going as a family the photo package is worth looking at as you then get every photo that is taken with any member of your family in for a one off set price. there are so many photo op's especially on "Formal" night.
On our last cruise we ended up bringing nearly 300 photos back 10"x8"

As for the drinks package, it depends on what you normally drink, our 2 girls had the soda package. myself and DH didn't bother as we don't drink a lot of fizzy drinks, although if I fancied a Coke I just got one of the girls to go and get me one. They have a Coca Cola sign on there sea passes.
The beer and wine packages are really expensive, but again it depends on how much you drink.
DH would normally have 2 beers in the day, then 2 or 3 at night, I just had cocktails of the day I think they were between $6 & $8 each and you got to keep the glass.
One night though DH had a Vodka Redbull $13!!!!! That didn't happen again

If there's anything else you want to know just ask.

No cruise for us this year though, were going back to WALT DISNEY WORLD
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
willeve
Mouseketeer

We did our first cruise last year, 7days on Grandeur of the Seas around Spain and islands. We loved it, will definitely cruise again! There is a 'Cocktail of the Day' available at a cheaper price than a regular cocktail, had one of these every night! We got the unlimited soda for our kids, fab value for them( therefore us!).
willeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

Loved the cruise, (2nights to short )
DD did climbing wall,golf, basketball, arcades, swimming pool (freezing weather blowing a gale) was only person in the pool

Downside, we were evicted early as she had the dreaded d&s bug, the very rude dr gave her injection and told us we had to leave the ship ASAP (thank god it was on the morning of disembarking)

Tips were added daily to credit card. $12 per person per day.

Looking at next year Prices and want to travel on quantum of the seas
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jackson View Post
Loved the cruise, (2nights to short )
DD did climbing wall,golf, basketball, arcades, swimming pool (freezing weather blowing a gale) was only person in the pool

Downside, we were evicted early as she had the dreaded d&s bug, the very rude dr gave her injection and told us we had to leave the ship ASAP (thank god it was on the morning of disembarking)

Tips were added daily to credit card. $12 per person per day.

Looking at next year Prices and want to travel on quantum of the seas
Hi

We enjoyed the 5 may one. Few issues. We had gorgeous weather in Cherbourg spent all afternoon sun bathing drinking cocktails. All the beds were gone.

Enjoyed the food. Ice skating show good.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

Only issues we had were the stag and hen parties. With it being a 2 day cruise. Weather was awful in France, freezing cold. First day no sunbeds and 5 deep at the bar
We also had bobby Davro as entertainment and with weather being bad on Wednesday he did a up close and personal, (question and answers) with the audience.

I found staff quite miserable but got I got over it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Only issues we had were the stag and hen parties. With it being a 2 day cruise. Weather was awful in France, freezing cold. First day no sunbeds and 5 deep at the bar
We also had bobby Davro as entertainment and with weather being bad on Wednesday he did a up close and personal, (question and answers) with the audience.

I found staff quite miserable but got I got over it.
Wish we had bobby Davro. The entertainer, magician comedian in theatre in evening was awful

Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

OMG just checked my credit card balance and was charge £33 for DD to see dr for 5 minutes (he had no social skills, shouted across the room to see if DD and I had cleansed our hands, I was right there in front of him) and the last time I checked I could answer for myself

Bobby Davro was good, didnt see his evening show as was not sure if suitable for DD. afternoon question time he got emotional at some questions. Was funny with quick remarks about other celebs.

Seen the 3 or 4 night cruise for next oct (14) starting from £269 on the independence of the seas. Trying to rally around the family to join and booking it
Old 05-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OMG just checked my credit card balance and was charge £33 for DD to see dr for 5 minutes (he had no social skills, shouted across the room to see if DD and I had cleansed our hands, I was right there in front of him) and the last time I checked I could answer for myself

Bobby Davro was good, didnt see his evening show as was not sure if suitable for DD. afternoon question time he got emotional at some questions. Was funny with quick remarks about other celebs.

Seen the 3 or 4 night cruise for next oct (14) starting from £269 on the independence of the seas. Trying to rally around the family to join and booking it
Think there is four night in may. 299 at moment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: