Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

Just one more reason I LOVE Disboards! Thanks a million everyone for all of your recommendations.

Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Putting in my vote for a nikon. I'm not against Canon it's just not my personal preference. I bought a nikon d3100 2 years ago and love it. There's an onscreen menu and shooting guide and it can function as a point n shoot for the most part but also has all of the wonderful dslr features. The new version is a d3200 and I can't really tell you the difference between the 2. There is a video function that shoots in 1080dp and the videos are fantastic. Much better than our video camera. I would imagine if you wanted to spend a bit more the d5100 would be fantastic as well. I personally prefer the image quality of a nikon compared to a canon and you will find many others who say just the opposite. And probably neither one of us is wrong. The downside I found with buying one of the newer entry level nikons is that you must buy the newer lenses with an af-s motor in them. The older lenses will not work on these cameras. Where I believe with entry level canon you can find used lenses in good shape much cheaper. I'm not certain on this and it would probably be a good question for you to ask over on the photography board.

Another thing to consider is do you really want a dslr? I know that sounds like a silly question but so many of my friends have seen the pics I take with mine and then decided they need to have one. They keep it on the auto settings all of the time and I just don't see the benefit of the expense if that's what you're going to do. There are so many great point and shoots out there that have a ton of features that almost make them like a basic dslr, but they are cheaper and smaller and you don't have to worry about having different lenses to buy and keep track of. The nikon P series of cameras are fantastic and have a few settings where you can manually change some settings.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

If you want DSLR quality, but point and shoot simplicity, I'd go for a Sony Alpha. However, in saying that, if I had to buy new today, I'd get a Cannon compact. The processors on theae are amazing and are so close to DSLR quality and so easy to carry that it would be my choice.
Some shutterbugs may want to burn me at the stake, but I stand by my answer.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
eyenerd
Mouseketeer

I would either buy Canon or Nikon. I use Canon myself and started with a Rebel (like one of the first ones) and really learned how to take pics on it. This way if you upgrade or like photography, some of your equipment can carry over.

I also recommend checking out Best Buy's website and seeing what stores they price match with online. I found my 6D for several hundred cheaper at buy.com (it is called something else now) and Best Buy price matched it.
eyenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
thdarragh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjackandcrew View Post
We're planning to purchase a DSLR camera for our upcoming cruise. We've only had point and shoots. Any recommendations for a novice? Thank you.
I have a Nikon D7000 and there is no way I am bringing it on my cruise. Even though it is sealed from weather etc, I am not taking a chance of damage or theft. I have an older Nikon 8800, point and shoot, that takes amazing pictures. Unless you are a photo buff, and plan on using all the settings and changing lenses, I'd just get a good point and shoot. The DSLR's are on the heavy side and you have to be prepared to "lug" it around. The sensors and options are unbelievable now on even the most affordable point and shoot units. I also have a "waterproof" point and shoot that is terrific for regular or underwater photography. Its an Olympus TG-1. Find the specs here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404977,00.asp

Good luck with your decision.
thdarragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
JCinMN
Mouseketeer

I like my Canon Rebel, but any DSLR should be fine. I think you'll see an improvement in your photos with the bigger camera. I'm sure you can't make a bad choice.

I recommend also keeping and bringing your point and shoot camera along too. Sometimes the DSLR is so big and heavy and it's nice to have a pocket size camera along for the unexpected shots when you don't have the big camera with you.
Island Princess June 2011 (Alaska)
Louis Cruises Aquamarine July 2008 (Greek Islands)

Tahitian Princess February 2005 (Tahiti honeymoon)
Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)
Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)
Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)
JCinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisobe View Post
I've been using DSLRs for 8+ years, and friends typically ask me about cameras, and what DSLR they should get. What I've noticed is 50% of the people think that if they buy a DSLR, their images will instantly get better because they spent more on their camera which is not true. this 50% also find that it's not worth lugging their big camera around, and end up not really using it as much as they thought they would have... These people probably would have been a little better off if they bought a smaller mirrorless/micro fourthirds camera. The other half of the people get into cameras, and don't mind carrying around a camera bag everywhere they go (i fall into this category, and typically lug my 5D3, flash, and typical 2-3 lenses with me on vacation all th time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
If you want DSLR quality, but point and shoot simplicity, I'd go for a Sony Alpha. However, in saying that, if I had to buy new today, I'd get a Cannon compact. The processors on theae are amazing and are so close to DSLR quality and so easy to carry that it would be my choice.
Some shutterbugs may want to burn me at the stake, but I stand by my answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdarragh View Post
I have a Nikon D7000 and there is no way I am bringing it on my cruise. Even though it is sealed from weather etc, I am not taking a chance of damage or theft. I have an older Nikon 8800, point and shoot, that takes amazing pictures. Unless you are a photo buff, and plan on using all the settings and changing lenses, I'd just get a good point and shoot. The DSLR's are on the heavy side and you have to be prepared to "lug" it around. The sensors and options are unbelievable now on even the most affordable point and shoot units.
For me, these PPs have framed nicely how I also feel about this issue. No question a full frame single lens reflex camera in the right hands will take better pictures than most point and shoot cameras under most conditions. HOWEVER...when I'm traveling or on vacation, my main priority is usually about preserving great memories, not about making artistic statements. My attention to all of the necessary photographic details go right out the window, program mode to auto and shoot away. At that moment, an SLR is, at least for me, a lot of excess baggage. Take a look at my Avatar. That picture was taken several miles into a difficult climb up the Great Wall using my Canon SLR with a very expensive lens, and I now look back on it and reallize the very same picture, or perhaps an even better one given the lighting conditions that day, would have been taken with a smaller more portable camera. My vote would be a Canon Powershot of recent vintage and several 4 or 8 GB cards. Now I realize that is not the opinion you were asking for to begin with, so...many local camera shops will actually rent you a camera for, say a week at a time. Maybe consider renting a nice DSLR with a couple lenses and a case and try it out for a small fraction of what it will cost to buy one and maybe find out later its just too much to haul around. Regardless of your decision, all the best.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
Jey12
DIS Veteran

I don't agree with the if you want a better picture buy a dslr. If you don't know how to frame and take a good picture with the cheapest camera around, then you are not going to be happy or get the full benefits of a dslr. I would suggest going into a store such as best buy or your local ritz type of camera shop and test out many different types and brands. Try out the point and shoots as well. Think about what ones feel comfortable in your hands, are easy to navigate the settings and you could see yourself really getting a lot of use out of. Dslr cameras rarely come with a lens decent enough to be your main lens. Getting one would almost have to be another initial investment over the cost of the camera. Write down the brands of the cameras you like and then go home and do research on them to help your decision. It's a lot easier if you've held the cameras in your hands to understand what you're reading online.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

I'm casting my vote for d7000.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
thdarragh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPrincessJen View Post
I'm casting my vote for d7000.
I love mine but wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. I certainly wouldn't describe it as "entry level". The user's manual is 350 pages long. It almost qualifies as a novel at 60,000 words!
thdarragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Two suggestions. Consider a mirror less interchangeable lens camera. Second, mosey on over to Steve's Digicams. Great folks over there. Really helpful when I chose my dSLR. (Mirrorless cameras were just starting out when I bought. If I had it to do over again, I'd choose one of those instead.)
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

Thank you all again for such wonderful recommendations.

Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #28
AntonioOtero
Earning My Ears

A dslr is a great camera. It is a very capable tool when used correctly. To decide Canon, Sony, Nikon is a big decision. All systems a comparable to one another, but not interchangeable (although some adapters exist). The entry level dslr a similar to on another. You will be spending the majority of your money on lenses. Here again, they are all comparable, but research to see what you like.

I will say in a Nikon guy and love my d7000. My dad carries Canon and his shots are superb, too. Most importantly is to know how to use what you are buying. They are capable of great shots, but if you are using full auto, just get a nice point and shoot. It will save you a bundle.

Once you decide on a system, you get into lenses, flash, filters, bags, cleaning tools, meters, and many more obsessively cool hobby gadgets.

Have fun!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I just took the plunge and got a Nikon D3100. I gave it a trial run in Thursday and absolutely love it.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
DisneyOrBustColorado
Mouseketeer

I have to highly agree with the people that have said, you don't have to have a DSLR to get great images. I myself own 3 Canon DSLR Cameras, numerous lenses & flashes etc... I guess you could say that I am a professional since I do make my living using my cameras.

IF you really want to buy a DSLR camera then I would recommend the Canon Rebel. I have owned both Canon & Nikon cameras & now have only Canon cameras. I find their customer service to be superior.

That being said, I hate being a slave to my camera on vacation. Especially on our cruises. I don't want to have to worry about someone stealing my camera that I have to leave behind on the beach for fear that it might get wet or sandy. So... this year I bought the new waterproof Canon D20. Which is esentially a Canon Powershot only with the Waterproof feature. I LOVED this little camera for our cruise vacation!!! I got awesome pictures & video using this little camera. The only place that I Will fault this camera, along with any other point & shoot camera, is in low light situations such as the dining rooms at night. However, if you don't know how to use your DSLR settings correctly along with good lenses, you will still have trouble in low light situations.

I love my little Canon D20 so much that I almost carry it exclusively on vacation even in the Disney parks. It's so much lighter & smaller than the DSLR cameras. You can see numerous examples of the pictures that I have taken using the Canon D20 on my trip report website at: http://fantasyhalloween2012.tradingtales.com
Look specifically at the trip report days 4 & 5. ALL of the pictures & video taken on the beaches at Maya Chan & Nachi-Cocom were taken exclusively with my Canon D20. I really do love this little camera.

Best of luck deciding & whatever you decide you will have an amazing vacation & make many, many magical memories!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: