Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #256
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

OMG! So just recently (on Tuesday) I had my first 'real' martini. Unless lemon drops are considered 'real', than nevermind. But I had my first dirty Martini with blue cheese olives...wow! It was so delicious! I told my friend that i've never tried a non-fruity one before but would only try it if there was blue cheese olives in it. Of course, I checked for them on the Dream and the Wonder thinking they would have them but they didn't. Well, she surprised me and went out and bought some for me. I'm a fan!

You're really making me want to check into another cruise. We booked a dummy one on our MR cruise, which is technically coming up in October, so I need to figure out what to do with it...

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #257
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

Thank you so much for sharing
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #258
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykin View Post
So I'm pretty new to cruising, is FEE the fish extender? If so no not this time, wish I had but was nervous that I old not things one on time and such. I did sign up for it for the next cruise. I saved all my navigators, I pick up one extra copy for each day do I was such o have a "clean" copy lol but I did end p missing the outer sleeve from the very first day, but have one more place to look.
The Fish Extender Exchange (FEE) is pretty fun. We appreciated mostly the candy and other simple gifts. I also liked getting magnets to put on our door. I might do that for the next time. It was just kind of fun to find all the gifts at the door when you arrived, although I do have to say that some of the gifts were like, "huh?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great update.

As I'm a one-pot screamer, I'm sithing shere go-hing *hic*.....just by looking at your pictures.

What a great Martini experience.
It was fun to try all those different kinds of drinks. And if you are well practiced in the art of drinking, you would have been sloshed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I though that was butter. The whipped cream would be too sweet for me but I can never have enough butter.

I hope I get to do Palo brunch too. It looks amazing. Is it as nice on the Wonder?

I must have missed what she chose but went back on saw. I guess we'll find out in the spa update if she enjoyed them.

Oh yeah, we'll definitely need another cruise or three to get it all in. I haven't even gone but know we're going to love it.

Great update. Sounds like the perfect day. Martini tasting and a spa day!

Did you feel much motion being AFT?

We're the managers easy to work with during the ticket confusion?

Like the relaxed state photo. I also like Claudette.

I'm a dirty martini girl too. Too bad they didn't have the bleu cheese stuffed olives.

The pomegranate one also looks delicious. I'm not a huge appletini fan anymore.

Chocolate martini.

Extra drinks + trivia = BONUS! Sounds like fun.

The Chip n Dale picture is great. How does the auction work? Is there a minimum you can bid?
Yeah the cream made them just too sweet for me. It's nice on whatever ship you do. I like the chicken parm on the Wonder just a little bit better, but both were great!

You feel the motion more on the upper decks, not so much whether you are forward or aft.

You know she doesn't really tell me if she likes things or not. I just have to assume she enjoyed the treatments.

On the auction, there is a minimum bid. They keep a notepad in the Gallery and anyone can come by and bid on the pictures. In our experiences, no one really seems to bid on the pictures so she gets them for the minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Mmmm, drinks and the spa. Sounds like a perfect day to me!

Jill in CO
It was a pretty darned good first day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
OMG! So just recently (on Tuesday) I had my first 'real' martini. Unless lemon drops are considered 'real', than nevermind. But I had my first dirty Martini with blue cheese olives...wow! It was so delicious! I told my friend that i've never tried a non-fruity one before but would only try it if there was blue cheese olives in it. Of course, I checked for them on the Dream and the Wonder thinking they would have them but they didn't. Well, she surprised me and went out and bought some for me. I'm a fan!

You're really making me want to check into another cruise. We booked a dummy one on our MR cruise, which is technically coming up in October, so I need to figure out what to do with it...
A lemon drop counts as a Martini, it's just not a traditional kind, but the recipe I found was made with lemon juice, if you used lemoncello, it would qualify in Claudette's definition being made with all alcohol. I'm glad you liked the regular one. Didn't you also try a chocolate Martini at my suggestion? I remember you saying it was very strong and your DH had to finish it.

Where is your dummy cruise out off and where does it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLEKID58 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing
You're welcome!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #259
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I got so behind again. First of all I wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

It is official, I hate the new Navigators. I am hoping that they have not changed over on the Wonder. How many pages does the Navigator have now?

I love the earrings. I can understand that you were tired. I love the Parrot Cay menu. I am a little sad that I may only get to eat this once or twice more. Last year on the Alaska cruises they served the Taste of Alaska menu on the Parrot Cay rotational night.

I am glad that you got to watch Brave. I was not entirely sure what to make of it, but only watched it on DVD. However, I am still excited that it looks like Merida will be on our Alaska cruise.

I love my Mickey wake up call. I was so excited when I realised that they have the same wake up call at the Grand Californian, too.

Brunch looked amazing. I love the Strawberry soup and the Chicken Parmesan is my favourite dish. I booked a Brunch on both parts of our back to back cruise just so that I can eat this twice. I have to remember about the butter. I don't normally eat butter, but if it is that good, it needs to be tried. I love the butter at Yachtsman Steakhouse and Narcoossee's.

I am sorry that the chocolate tasting got messed up. The Martinis in the tasting looked good. I have to admit that I always come out of those tastings a little tipsy.

I love the artwork and seeing Stitch just made my day. I so miss the little guy. I really want to do the character breakfast at PHC Grill on May 17th, but Graham agreed today that we can have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen that day and I don't want to push my luck with two character meals in day. Maybe I should let him sleep and sneak off for breakfast by myself.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #260
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
A lemon drop counts as a Martini, it's just not a traditional kind, but the recipe I found was made with lemon juice, if you used lemoncello, it would qualify in Claudette's definition being made with all alcohol. I'm glad you liked the regular one. Didn't you also try a chocolate Martini at my suggestion? I remember you saying it was very strong and your DH had to finish it.

Where is your dummy cruise out off and where does it go?
Forgot about the Chocolate Martini! I've had one before a long time ago. Hmm, I don't remember that. Usually things can never be too strong for me

I know it's the middle of October, but i'm not sure where! We just booked the shortest and cheapest cruise available with the intention of changing it. I think it was on the Fantasy. Either way, it's not a date we would be able to do because of DH's job.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #261
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I got so behind again. First of all I wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

It is official, I hate the new Navigators. I am hoping that they have not changed over on the Wonder. How many pages does the Navigator have now?

I love the earrings. I can understand that you were tired. I love the Parrot Cay menu. I am a little sad that I may only get to eat this once or twice more. Last year on the Alaska cruises they served the Taste of Alaska menu on the Parrot Cay rotational night.

I am glad that you got to watch Brave. I was not entirely sure what to make of it, but only watched it on DVD. However, I am still excited that it looks like Merida will be on our Alaska cruise.

I love my Mickey wake up call. I was so excited when I realised that they have the same wake up call at the Grand Californian, too.

Brunch looked amazing. I love the Strawberry soup and the Chicken Parmesan is my favourite dish. I booked a Brunch on both parts of our back to back cruise just so that I can eat this twice. I have to remember about the butter. I don't normally eat butter, but if it is that good, it needs to be tried. I love the butter at Yachtsman Steakhouse and Narcoossee's.

I am sorry that the chocolate tasting got messed up. The Martinis in the tasting looked good. I have to admit that I always come out of those tastings a little tipsy.

I love the artwork and seeing Stitch just made my day. I so miss the little guy. I really want to do the character breakfast at PHC Grill on May 17th, but Graham agreed today that we can have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen that day and I don't want to push my luck with two character meals in day. Maybe I should let him sleep and sneak off for breakfast by myself.

Corinna
Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

I'm not exactly able to pin point what is different about the Navigators, but I don't like them nearly as much either. Stuff wasn't listed in the timing schedules that I expected, and too much of it was just ads and the same every day.

I wonder what Carioca's will be like when it replaces Parrot Cay? I didn't realize Mickey did the wake up calls at the GCH, I guess I've been so tired when I've stayed I never noticed.

I hope I haven't oversold the butter, but it's just so much better than the regular butter they serve or what I get at home. A piece of bread and butter at Palo is something special and it tastes like it. We were a little tipsy after the Martinis and definitely after tomorrow's update.

The 17th is the day we're meeting up right? We should have one of those ice globe Martinis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Forgot about the Chocolate Martini! I've had one before a long time ago. Hmm, I don't remember that. Usually things can never be too strong for me

I know it's the middle of October, but i'm not sure where! We just booked the shortest and cheapest cruise available with the intention of changing it. I think it was on the Fantasy. Either way, it's not a date we would be able to do because of DH's job.
All the Fantasy cruises are one week long, so if it's a short one, it's probably on the Dream or Magic. I hope you change it to something you can do!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #262
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Happy belated Birthday!!! I'm sorry I missed it, and I posted yesterday... I hope it was fabulous

Both of those paintings are too cute. Is the Mickey one very similar to the one you got last cruise? I'm getting déjà vu for some reason.

Every time I try a martini they're just too strong for me, they look delicious though.

I love seeing all these pictures of the ship. I'm sad I won't see the Magic until after all the changes.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #263
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Getting caught up, great updates!

I haven't seen Brave yet, but I really want to. It's funny, my friend has red curly hair that can get a little wild, and I have said that Merida is exactly what she would look like if she were animated!

Your Palo Brunch looked really great, that's definitely on the list if I get to do a DCL cruise some time. We have one planned in November for our 10th Anniversary but it is on Norwegian.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #264
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I bet it was hot and humid and since I'm an air condition baby I start melting in the heat. I'm patiently waiting to hear how the chocolate tasting went.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #265
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

The martini tasting sounds like lots of fun....

I take it, that it means I would be ok on the tasting....

After drinking you are going to the spa... How wonderful, talk about being relaxed.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #266
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Thanks so much for all the yummy Palo Brunch pictures

We are going to be doing this for the first time on the Wonder next month

With so much choice I just won't know where to start!!

I don't eat meat so at least that narrows it down a bit but oh my gosh - so much to choose from

Interesting that your Martini tasting was being booked at both Guest Services and in the Lounge. I was going to just head straight to Guest Services when we board and try and book everything from there. It seems crazy that they are overbooking because they are accepting reservations from two different locations
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #267
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Happy belated Birthday!!! I'm sorry I missed it, and I posted yesterday... I hope it was fabulous

Both of those paintings are too cute. Is the Mickey one very similar to the one you got last cruise? I'm getting déjà vu for some reason.

Every time I try a martini they're just too strong for me, they look delicious though.

I love seeing all these pictures of the ship. I'm sad I won't see the Magic until after all the changes.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I really hope the paintings aren't the same! They are all still in their boxes waiting for approval on the house and construction.

Martinis are always strong as they are all alcohol, but I seem to like them.

From what people are saying it sounds like the Magic will be a whole new ship almost.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #268
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Getting caught up, great updates!

I haven't seen Brave yet, but I really want to. It's funny, my friend has red curly hair that can get a little wild, and I have said that Merida is exactly what she would look like if she were animated!

Your Palo Brunch looked really great, that's definitely on the list if I get to do a DCL cruise some time. We have one planned in November for our 10th Anniversary but it is on Norwegian.
Palo is a fabulous Brunch, but I'm sure Norwegian has something similar. Congratulations on 10 years!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #269
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I bet it was hot and humid and since I'm an air condition baby I start melting in the heat. I'm patiently waiting to hear how the chocolate tasting went.
It will take me while to get to the chocolate tasting, and that will also be bittersweet since it will mean the cruise is almost over. I hope you're surviving the heatwave right now. The good news is that when you get down here, we will be back to normal temperatures. Thank goodness we have only 5-10% humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
The martini tasting sounds like lots of fun....

I take it, that it means I would be ok on the tasting....

After drinking you are going to the spa... How wonderful, talk about being relaxed.
Yeah, it was awesome! I was totally relaxed and ready for that massage. And I'm sure it would have been right up your alley!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #270
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Thanks so much for all the yummy Palo Brunch pictures

We are going to be doing this for the first time on the Wonder next month

With so much choice I just won't know where to start!!

I don't eat meat so at least that narrows it down a bit but oh my gosh - so much to choose from

Interesting that your Martini tasting was being booked at both Guest Services and in the Lounge. I was going to just head straight to Guest Services when we board and try and book everything from there. It seems crazy that they are overbooking because they are accepting reservations from two different locations
There are plenty of options for all sorts of diets at Palo! I do have to say that many of the best options are for those who eat seafood. I'm not sure if you noticed the little scallop on the spoon, but that was one of the best bites that they had on the buffet.

I have a philosophy when it comes to buffets. Always start with the cold stuff, salads and seafoods first, then I try any hot foods on the buffet or fruits. If there is an ordered course like Palo that's usually next, and in the case of Palo there are a few of those. Then dessert. Fran takes the approach, eat your dessert throughout your meal in case they run out of anything!

The best bet is to go to the location in whichever bar where they are booking, there is a shorter line and I believe that if I had not booked with Claudette in the room where they were booking special food events, I wouldn't have got the special exemption.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: