Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #3061
Minnie404
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyDot View Post
We are traveling in November with our son who will be almost 5 when we travel. For anyone who has stayed in one, the Royal rooms look beautiful, but are they too "girly" for a boy?
We are here now and they are pretty neutral but it does have the princess theme. My 7 year old boy loves the fireworks as much as his sister. He said a couple of comments about it being a princess room but otherwise I think he likes it. Love the details in these rooms.

Now if the rain would go away. My daughter is booked tomorrow for the boutique to have her hair done and then eating dinner at the castle. so I hope it doesn't rain or at least not till later. So unfortunate. Got drenched today at Epcot so hoping the weather gets better for us!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #3062
momofEAP
Earning My Ears

This is such a silly question that I am almost embarassed to ask it.

The buildings in Alligator Bayou...are they a combination of two building per unit? (ex. Is bld.15 two buildings by each other to look like an "L" or is it just on building in the shape of an "L"?) Or in other words is there a breeze-way at the bend? Just trying to figure out if it would be okay to be in the middle of the bend facing away from the food court.

Less than 4 months and I feel like there is so much to do!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #3063
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
According to the map, and to whats posted at Portorleans.org, the riverviews are very close to Ol' man island.

Hopefully I can tell you for sure in 2 days 16 hours or so
Thanks!! Appreciate it.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3064
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarrahA View Post
SkywayGuy, another wow! Lol I apologize if I sound sexist, I'm just not accustomed to seeing that kind of organization skills in men outside of a workplace. But then again, I may just not have come into contact with any b/c I am a hardcore type A personality that plans & organizes to the point of obsession and there's only room for one of those in each house lol The men in my life have always been the "you wanna do what? How much is it going to cost? When? Ok, that sounds fun" type. Which is perfect for me!!!
Believe me, Tarraha, ordinarily I can't organize my way out of a paper bag, and my wife is generally more detail oriented than I. But when it comes to Disney, obsession compensates for weak planning skills I'm trying to reign myself in a bit by turning the planning over to my daughter and letting her make the key choices (like when to get up, where to eat, which park on what day). I've armed her with a subscription to TouringPlans.com though and she, who was gifted with more procrastination than anyone I know, is actually considering being at rope drop for our MK day! We'll see. When she's home from school she's rarely up before 12. I figure if she does that at POR, I'll just enjoy the resort all the more! Planning on renting a Kayak and a bike at some point, and there are a few lounge chairs that have my name on them!!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #3065
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofEAP View Post
This is such a silly question that I am almost embarassed to ask it.

The buildings in Alligator Bayou...are they a combination of two building per unit? (ex. Is bld.15 two buildings by each other to look like an "L" or is it just on building in the shape of an "L"?) Or in other words is there a breeze-way at the bend? Just trying to figure out if it would be okay to be in the middle of the bend facing away from the food court.

Less than 4 months and I feel like there is so much to do!!
MomofEAP: at the PortOrleans.org website they've posted the the map of the resort and you can see the shape of the buildings, and the number of rooms in each. Some are L shaped, some are more like checker board shaped. I stayed in the AB area many years ago when it was called Dixie Landings. The architects did an amazing job of packing in a lot of rooms but still giving the feel that there aren't that many people around; partly through the shape of the buildings and partly by the landscaping. It really is a beautiful place and for my money, feels much, much more relaxed than say the Contemporary or GF resorts do.

To be fair and give equal time, WDWINFO (host of this forum) also has PDF's of the map here. And if you're really obsessed like me, you'll look the property up on Google Earth or Google Maps where you can see satellite photo's of the entire property.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #3066
TarrahA
Mouseketeer

SkywayGuy, LOL too funny!! I admire your willingness to hand over the reigns - as Crush would say, "Let us see what Squirt does flying solo" I guess I may not be so obsessively controlling if this was a repeat trip for everyone, but it's my daughter's 1st (age 10), and my 1st planning/buying. I haven't been to Disney since about 2003 I think (?) and I see a lot has changed, I'm excited to experience it as if it were my 1st all over again. so of course it has to to PERFECT, which can only happen by nonstop planning until we hit WDW soil, after which my family will trample all over my masterpiece Disney Binder/Bible probably right out the gate with a very "SQUIRREL!!" like reaction when they see the first swimming pool. Why do kids not want to do anything but swim when they go on vacation?? Ugh.

Note for binder: Try to avoid pool on Day 1, ignorance is bliss If that doesn't work, pull out pre-packed single serve daiquiris (See: Packing List from Hell, page 3) =P
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #3067
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are traveling in November with our son who will be almost 5 when we travel. For anyone who has stayed in one, the Royal rooms look beautiful, but are they too "girly" for a boy?
My 8 year old boy didn't feel that they were girly. Honestly the princess stuff was just pictures. The rest was "royal", and Aladdin, and other stuff. The colors in the room are dark purples and blues, which are royal. And there was a picture of the princes as well (maybe a silhouette?) so it's not just princesses. (and remember, all the Disney princesses (but Mulan, but she's not called Princess Mulan though she's A princess) got their title by being daughters of a king or being married to a prince...can't have those Disney princesses without a male involved! I always found that to be helpful for my son when he was feeling left out from all the princess stuff at disney.)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #3068
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
Do the Recreation Activities Schedule come out on the first of the month? Can't wait to see the schedule for June
Definitely by the first day of the month, but hopefully a few days earlier if I get sent the files in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Question - DH & I always stay in a Preferred AB room. Has anyone stayed in a Riverview Room at Magnolia Bend? Are they nice, and pretty convenient to get to Ol Man Island and the food court, etc. or are they quite a hike? I've gotten spoiled by staying in Bldgs 14 & 18 in AB & they're so close to food court, bus & a quiet pool, but for a fall trip we were thinking about a different location. TIA for all your info!
River View rooms in Magnolia Terrace are pretty conveniently located - you just stroll over the bridge and walk across Ol' Man Island, it's a nice and relatively short walk. If you look at the map you'll see some are set a little further back, but even then it's still a pretty short walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofEAP View Post
The buildings in Alligator Bayou...are they a combination of two building per unit? (ex. Is bld.15 two buildings by each other to look like an "L" or is it just on building in the shape of an "L"?) Or in other words is there a breeze-way at the bend?
Yes, there is a breezeway through the centre of all of the Alligator Bayou buildings, the ice and vending machines are located near there. Although they all look like they are different layouts, I found when I was creating the floorplan layouts for my site that they are all based on four simple square units with 8 rooms on each floor, just laid out in different configurations and all with the facilities block in the middle.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #3069
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Question - DH & I always stay in a Preferred AB room. Has anyone stayed in a Riverview Room at Magnolia Bend? Are they nice, and pretty convenient to get to Ol Man Island and the food court, etc. or are they quite a hike? I've gotten spoiled by staying in Bldgs 14 & 18 in AB & they're so close to food court, bus & a quiet pool, but for a fall trip we were thinking about a different location. TIA for all your info!

My Mom and I stayed in a Riverview room in Magnolia Bend last year... Room 8418. We were on the 3rd floor. LOVED IT!! The room was gorgeous!! And we spent a lot of time on the benches outside just looking at the river. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in a heartbeat! I can't speak much of the walk. I am one of the few who don't think there is much of a walk involved in the entire resort! It's such a gorgeous resort that I don't mind the walk. We were also very close to a bus stop and the quiet pool next to us was gorgeous and so quiet compared to the loud main pool! I prefer the theming in the mansions to the aligator bayou rooms since they refurbished. We got quite a few towel animals as it was Mom's bday that week and mousekeeping always did a wonderful job! I'm hoping for a room in a similar location for our trip in a couple weeks... although this time we booked a standard room and not a riverview room. Fingers crossed for pixie dust!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #3070
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

can you believe this?

Called and ordered more magical express tags and when I was on the phone with ME, when she was pulling up my name to make sure that they had the right person, she pulled up another person with the same resort, same name, same arrival date and same amount of people in the party. (except they are all girls in their party, we have one girl and two guys in ours). Had to make sure that they sent the right ME tags to our TA. What is the chance that the same name as mine would be checking in the same day at the same resort with the same number of people.

I hope we don't get mixed up when we check in. Maybe I'll even meet this other person with the same name.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #3071
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
Called and ordered more magical express tags and when I was on the phone with ME, when she was pulling up my name to make sure that they had the right person, she pulled up another person with the same resort, same name, same arrival date and same amount of people in the party. (except they are all girls in their party, we have one girl and two guys in ours). Had to make sure that they sent the right ME tags to our TA. What is the chance that the same name as mine would be checking in the same day at the same resort with the same number of people.

I hope we don't get mixed up when we check in. Maybe I'll even meet this other person with the same name.
That's just freaky...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #3072
dramaticmissy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post

you have a name doppelganger! hope you guys do not look similar too

June 1976-My first trip!
March 2006 @ POP dd's 2nd birthday
August 2007 @ SSR 11 day trip
November 2008- POP dd's 7th birthday
May 2013 Port of Orleans Riverside- All girls week
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #3073
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

We leave Wednesday for 4 nights at AoA and then 4 nights at POR. I am getting my room request fax ready and wondering if I should go ahead based on the research I have done and the help provided here and on portorleans.org (thanks Andre!) OR since we are driving in and will be at WDW on Thursday, we should take a quick drive over to POR and look around, then use the gotfreefax site to send in our request. We have booked a standard view Royal Room, so there will not be a lot of choices, but since it is our girl's birthday surprise we are hoping for a little pixie dust in getting a corner room close to the one of the pools and the bridge for easy walk to a bus, and do have a couple rooms in mind. It's a difference of 11 days now, or 5 days next week, but I am kinda thinking 5 days is cutting it a little close and they may have already started making assignments.

Thanks for any advice
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #3074
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
I am kinda thinking 5 days is cutting it a little close and they may have already started making assignments.
Five days is more than enough, I usually suggest 3-5 days in fact.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #3075
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

por

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
We leave Wednesday for 4 nights at AoA and then 4 nights at POR. I am getting my room request fax ready and wondering if I should go ahead based on the research I have done and the help provided here and on portorleans.org (thanks Andre!) OR since we are driving in and will be at WDW on Thursday, we should take a quick drive over to POR and look around, then use the gotfreefax site to send in our request. We have booked a standard view Royal Room, so there will not be a lot of choices, but since it is our girl's birthday surprise we are hoping for a little pixie dust in getting a corner room close to the one of the pools and the bridge for easy walk to a bus, and do have a couple rooms in mind. It's a difference of 11 days now, or 5 days next week, but I am kinda thinking 5 days is cutting it a little close and they may have already started making assignments.

Thanks for any advice
I had a corner room last year and I didn't ask for it. It was my birthday. Your daughter is going to have a blast. I'm going in September for my birthday. I hope she has a magical birthday filled with wishes and pixie dust
2013 WDW Royal Guest @Port Orleans Riverside. 2012WDW @ Royal Guest Port Orleans Riverside Disney Cruise line The Fantasy. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French Quarter. 2002 WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Disney cruise line The Wonder.2007 Disneyland@ The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise Hotel. 2000 Disneyland @ The Disneyland Hotel. 1999 1998,1996 Disneyland off sight hotels.
A proud Disney Stockholder
A Proud Seahawk Fan 2014 Super bowl Champions
A Seattle Mariner fan
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: