Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #631
TorontoGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives4Dis View Post
OK, I did the Goofy and was mad for the Dopey. Unfortunately it sold out like hot cakes. I am pleading for help. If anyone has an in or knows of a sponsor that has an entry, please contact me and let me know. I even caved and told Chiquita I would run in a banana outfit. Looks like its only the Wine and dine this year and the Goofy again. Will have to wait for 2015 otherwise.
Check with the wdw marathon weekend website registration tab travel agencies - they may still have spaces open but you have to book hotel (usually 3 night min) & park tix (2 days min) - its how I'm registered! (DH too)

Or you could go through a charity - again check the registration tab list!

Good Luck!
Early 1990s-Offsite? MK & EPCOT, Oct 08–WDW–Honeymoon–All-Star Music-Jazz, Mar 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 09–WDW–All-Star Music-Jazz&Broadway & DCL–7 Night Western-Magic, Feb 10–WDW–All Star Movies-Dalmatians, Oct 10–DCL–7 Night Eastern-Magic, Mar 11-WDW-All-Star Music-Jazz, Sep 11-DCL-4 Night Bahamas-Dream & WDW - Pop, Dec 11-WDW-All Star Sports-Tennis, Feb 29 - 24hrs in MK!, May 13-EEC, Oct 14-ToT10Miler, Jan 15-Dopey Challange
TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #632
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Galloway training plan has now been added to the RunDisney website officially.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwo...hallenge14.pdf
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #633
4stroke
Earning My Ears

Deleted! Wrong thread!

Apr/08: Offsite ~ Apr/09: Offsite ~ Apr/10: CR ~ Oct/10: Disney Paris Offsite ~ Apr/11: CR ~ Oct/11: CSR & POFQ (Purchased DVC )
~ Jan/12: BLT & VWL ~ May/12: BLT & VWL ~ Oct/12: BLT & POR ~ Jan/13: SSR ~ May/13: VWL ~ Jan/14: BLT
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #634
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="******************;48285288"]Galloway training plan has now been added to the RunDisney website officially.

I have always followed a Higdon plan and never used Galloway before. Seems strange to me that you only run 3 or 4 times a week ( which seems low to me) but then you practically run the Dopey toward the end 4,5,12,26 (which seems high to me). Anyone who has used his training programs have any insight? I kind of want to save the real deal for race weekend.
PaGaLaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #635
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

[QUOTE=PaGaLaGirl;48322885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****************** View Post
Galloway training plan has now been added to the RunDisney website officially.

I have always followed a Higdon plan and never used Galloway before. Seems strange to me that you only run 3 or 4 times a week ( which seems low to me) but then you practically run the Dopey toward the end 4,5,12,26 (which seems high to me). Anyone who has used his training programs have any insight? I kind of want to save the real deal for race weekend.
Look at any of Jeff's plans and you will see that he has runners run the entire distance as part of training. I am not a fan of doing the distance for anyone other than the elite end of the event. That is unless one is newer and struggling with the mental game. Then there is an assurance that comes with running close to the distance if not the distance.

You will do well on the Higdon marathon plan.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #636
HealthyDisneyGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGaLaGirl View Post
Galloway's training plans that go to & past the race distance are meant for those who are using his entire training philosophy and take walk breaks early & often.

If you are not planning to use frequent walk breaks, you'll probably want a different training plan.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #637
HealthyDisneyGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I am not a fan of doing the distance for anyone other than the elite end of the event. That is unless one is newer and struggling with the mental game. Then there is an assurance that comes with running close to the distance if not the distance.
Galloway's philosophy is that runners hit the wall at the distance of their long run in the past 2-3 weeks. His plans that go to & past the race distance are meant for those who use his entire training plan, not just look at the distances & go out and run them straight through.

I trained for the 2013 marathon and completed the long runs of 17, 20, 23, 26, and 28 miles, but I did it following his guidelines - I did them 1-2 minutes per mile slower than my planned race pace and I used my plan race run/walk ratio of 90 seconds:30 seconds as I learned when I attended the Galloway running school.

For me, it worked. My half PR is a 2:14 using his methods and I was able to finish the marathon in 5:16, which in that heat & humidity was a successful day for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #638
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Actually, run/walk vs run is not really a factor; its a tool or a method of running. Jeff focusses on long runs and emphasizes the weekday runs less than other plans. Other plans have differing focal points as well. Higdon's plan has a brutal midweek run that is long for most folks.

Since we are all an experiment of one, there is no magic plan what works for all. I have found through my experience that the longer the long run (more specifically, the more time on a long training run past 3-3.5 hours) the greater the chance for injury. The trade for going shorter on the long runs is that one must really step it up on the midweek runs. I coach hills and speed work and shorter long runs.

Saying all that as I previously stated, I do see merit in going up to race distance for those who need the mental boost. I offer support and training suggestions for any plan out there but I also will point out the weakness of plans as well when questioned.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #639
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Actually, run/walk vs run is not really a factor; its a tool or a method of running
No offense, but that’s incorrect. Jeff has said in person that he does not recommend going the full distance in training unless you are doing a run/walk from the start.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #640
cewait
DIS Veteran

No offense taken, it's an opinion that I respect. However, he would not have a person run a 5 k without run/walking either. Don't get me wrong, I train run/walk and rarely run past 16-17 miles in training. But it remains a running method, not a plan.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #641
HealthyDisneyGuide

Quote:
Actually, run/walk vs run is not really a factor; its a tool or a method of running.
Actually, when I attended his running school, he very clearly said that he would not recommend covering the race distance or beyond to runners who were NOT using walk breaks.

He also said that if a person were able & wanted to run a 5K or 10K without using walk breaks, they should. In face, he suggests that if one uses the walk breaks effectively from the beginning of the race and wants in the final miles to run continuously, they should.

There's a whole lot in his books & running school that doesn't come across in the PDF's RunDisney posts to their website.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #642
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****************** View Post

Galloway's philosophy is that runners hit the wall at the distance of their long run in the past 2-3 weeks. His plans that go to & past the race distance are meant for those who use his entire training plan, not just look at the distances & go out and run them straight through.

I trained for the 2013 marathon and completed the long runs of 17, 20, 23, 26, and 28 miles, but I did it following his guidelines - I did them 1-2 minutes per mile slower than my planned race pace and I used my plan race run/walk ratio of 90 seconds:30 seconds as I learned when I attended the Galloway running school.

For me, it worked. My half PR is a 2:14 using his methods and I was able to finish the marathon in 5:16, which in that heat & humidity was a successful day for me.
Thanks to all of you who replied, it was helpful to hear from folks that have used his method before. I think I will stick to Higdon though and save my walking for picture stops.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #643
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGaLaGirl View Post
Thanks to all of you who replied, it was helpful to hear from folks that have used his method before. I think I will stick to Higdon though and save my walking for picture stops.
If you're walking at the picture stops you're lucky. Try waiting 15-20 minutes for the more popular characters.

Last edited by swimfly; 05-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #644
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post

If you're walking at the picture stops you're lucky. Try waiting 15-20 minutes for the more popular characters.
Really? I don't remember waiting more than 5 or 10 minutes and the only character I skipped was golfing Mickey near the courses. Of course that was 2010. Maybe everyone was too cold to stand still : )
Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #645
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes for any of them, although DW and I did not stop and wait for Mickey and Minnie at the castle. (The longest wait might have been Ariel right before the castle.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: