Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
HootDad
Makes magical trips each year
I am now hooked. I want to do as many races as I can

A couple of things...

First, to those who pointed to certain capabilities as indications that the bands are active, actually you can do all that with passive bands as well.

I was actually thinking that maybe they were both, and I see now that a couple of folks have posted that as being the case. This actually makes sense.

BTW - to be clear - when I referred to to tracking positions with active RFID I meant "real" tracking. With active RFID you can triangulate positions and track people much like you would with a GPS. I honestly don't see Disney doing this because I really don't see the use in it. But it is theoretically possible.

And yes, you could always disable with tin foil :-)
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/hootdad
I was on the podcast! Part 1: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/07/...sneyland-show/
Part 2: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/
Part 3: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/

v9ve.png[/img][/url]
HootDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootDad View Post
A couple of things...

First, to those who pointed to certain capabilities as indications that the bands are active, actually you can do all that with passive bands as well.
Yes, it is possible to do it with passive tags as well...but generally you need to use much stronger magnetic fields to power them, different antenna configurations, etc.

I'd personally not want to be loitering in the magnetic fields necessary to read passive tags at 15 feet.

Note that the specs sent to the FCC specify the 2.4GHz active transmitter and non-replaceable battery - that's how we know It's not replaceable because they needed to fully seal the bands to be waterproof.

As for triangulation, yes...but then you'd need three receivers within the 15 feet range...not very effective, when you can at least track them within a 15 foot radius, which should be sufficient for most purposes.

What I'm wondering is what the already problematic Wi-Fi will be like when thousands of transmitters start wandering around
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Yes, it is possible to do it with passive tags as well...but generally you need to use much stronger magnetic fields to power them, different antenna configurations, etc.

I'd personally not want to be loitering in the magnetic fields necessary to read passive tags at 15 feet.

Note that the specs sent to the FCC specify the 2.4GHz active transmitter and non-replaceable battery - that's how we know It's not replaceable because they needed to fully seal the bands to be waterproof.

As for triangulation, yes...but then you'd need three receivers within the 15 feet range...not very effective, when you can at least track them within a 15 foot radius, which should be sufficient for most purposes.

What I'm wondering is what the already problematic Wi-Fi will be like when thousands of transmitters start wandering around

No kidding, that will be one of many interesting things to watch happen.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
HootDad

Quote:
Good point. In the environment I work in where we did an analysis of active vs. passive rfid (we ended up doing neither) we were looking at having the readers all over the place - enabling the triangulation. Not practical for Disney. So if, as suggested, they are doing both I wonder why?

In fact, for any transaction purpose (e.g. gate entry or making a purchase) passive is better - you'd get false readings with active.
I was on the podcast! Part 1: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/07/...sneyland-show/

v9ve.png[/img][/url]
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Good point. In the environment I work in where we did an analysis of active vs. passive rfid (we ended up doing neither) we were looking at having the readers all over the place - enabling the triangulation. Not practical for Disney. So if, as suggested, they are doing both I wonder why?

In fact, for any transaction purpose (e.g. gate entry or making a purchase) passive is better - you'd get false readings with active.
As mentioned, it will be used to trigger custom experiences without specific action by the guest, from a short distance.

Say, when you pass a certain point on an attraction, it will trigger something that happens up ahead, like a happy birthday message, etc.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Pirate princess 2
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=HootDad;48283572]A couple of things...

BTW - to be clear - when I referred to to tracking positions with active RFID I meant "real" tracking. With active RFID you can triangulate positions and track people much like you would with a GPS. I honestly don't see Disney doing this because I really don't see the use in it. But it is theoretically possible.

Do you think they would do this to help find say a missing child? Idk why else they would specifically need to know someone's exact point at any given time. That could be a selling point to some parents who maybe nervous about taking their kids to such a big place especially during busy times. If Disney advertised that they could find your little one in a matter of a few minutes or less, those parents might be more willing to shell out their money to Disney.
Pirate princess 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate princess 2 View Post
Do you think they would do this to help find say a missing child? .
This would be cool. Additionally, it would be awesome to be able to track your party via a cell phone app.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

I was hoping they would have a display like you were playing roller coaster tycoon. You could watch all the guests wondering the park and see what they are thinking too!
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate princess 2 View Post
Do you think they would do this to help find say a missing child? Idk why else they would specifically need to know someone's exact point at any given time. That could be a selling point to some parents who maybe nervous about taking their kids to such a big place especially during busy times. If Disney advertised that they could find your little one in a matter of a few minutes or less, those parents might be more willing to shell out their money to Disney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
This would be cool. Additionally, it would be awesome to be able to track your party via a cell phone app.
I think they might have an uphill battle...it's a great idea, but then you get a lot of pushback concerns over privacy, creepiness, etc.

But what they CAN do is swipe a child's magicband and instantly get information on the child and the family. The can do the same for a family member looking for the child. And it would be a simple matter of being able to pair the two together, send notifications, etc..."It's OK Timmy, we know where your parents are, they are over by Mad Tea Party and they'll be right here in a moment..."

Don't forget...there are no lost children at WDW, only lost parents

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #25
HootDad

Quote:
As mentioned, it will be used to trigger custom experiences without specific action by the guest, from a short distance.

Say, when you pass a certain point on an attraction, it will trigger something that happens up ahead, like a happy birthday message, etc.
I don't think that would require active though. I guess it depends on the range. I guess it would be easier with active, so that could be it.

v9ve.png[/img][/url]
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I don't think that would require active though. I guess it depends on the range. I guess it would be easier with active, so that could be it.
No, they don't have to be active, but like I said earlier, to read passive at a greater distance, you have to have a much larger magnetic field to power it, a different antenna configuration, etc.

It's one think to drive through one in a car at 20-60 mph to read your passive tag at 15 feet...it's another to be standing in that field for a long time...

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I am very much against RFID but now that disney is requiring a pass code for all purchases i am ok with the bands. Why do i care if disney knows i just went into the bathroom at space mountain.... I don't have an issue with them tracking me though the parks. This way they can give accurate wait times, personalize interactive que's and by knowing where the guests are, if there is an emergency they can get a message to you. And more importantly...if you lose your kid they should be able to (i would think) figure out where your kids band is or was the least time it passed a sensor.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 05-14-2013 at 09:38 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's OK Timmy, we know where your parents are, they are over by Mad Tea Party and they'll be right here in a moment..."

Don't forget...there are no lost children at WDW, only lost parents
That would only work if Timmy had his smartphone on him to get the message. If that were the case, he would already be in contact with his parents.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
That would only work if Timmy had his smartphone on him to get the message. If that were the case, he would already be in contact with his parents.
I'm not sure you are getting the references...or which one.

First, I was spoofing what might be said by a cast member to a child found separated from their parent/guardian, who was wearing a MagicBand that could be scanned by the CM with a special scanner, return the child's name, parent name, contact, and location (if they really are tracking to that level). Timmy does not require a smartphone for that.

Second, I was spoofing how it is always said that only the parents get lost at Disney...and definitely no smartphone required for that.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
AladdinToMy4YO
Earning My Ears

Dis response to Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtucomp View Post
I was hoping they would have a display like you were playing roller coaster tycoon. You could watch all the guests wondering the park and see what they are thinking too!
Excellent! Disney's response to the Maurader's Map from Harry Potter!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: