Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #211
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I definitely second the Catalina Island idea that summerw touched on above (in the Newport Beach section of all of the wonderful suggestions and tips), and you can find discounts on the Catalina Flyer out of Newport Beach. BUT I recommend skipping the Flyer (unless you are staying on the Island overnight) and instead driving to Long Beach (right near the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific) to catch a Catalina Express boat. The Express' departure times and arrival times are more frequent than the Flyer's, and will allow more flexibility.

Best of all, starting today (and going through April 30th of next year), you can get a free round-trip boat ride to Catalina on your birthday through the Express. That is a great value, as the boat fare normally runs over $70 per person. This is the 3rd year in a row that they are offering the free boat rides, and they let people claim the offer again even if they claimed the offer in the past. I took advantage of it last year and I'm doing it again this year! It would be a great day trip idea for you and Tracy!

If you Google Image "Catalina Express Free Birthday Boat Ride" or some similar combination of words, in the pictures that appear you may see photos from PrincessInOz (who posts here in this thread) and from me. I did that this morning (though I cannot recall the exact words I typed in) and up popped some of PiO's photos and mine in the results! (We both posted Catalina photos here on DISboards, so I think that's why they were lumped together in the search results!)

Anyway, summerw gave some great tips and ideas that would be of interest to anyone - even to people who have already lived in O.C. for years! I would bet that a lot of O.C and L.A. residents have never done a lot of the things on summerw's list!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #212
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I actually like Seal Beach because of that strip of shops. It just seems really beachy to me.

Not sure if there are any seals in LA proper; but there will be seals at La Jolla.
We definitely liked Seal Beach (despite their lack of seals...). I think I've heard there are sometimes seals at the further south O.C. beaches like Laguna and Dana Point. We'll have to check there or see if we need to go all the way to the La Jolla/San Diego area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerw View Post
Hey, I really enjoyed your trip report so far. I'm glad you have persevered through OC's outrageously expensive real estate market to follow your dream. I grew up here but moved away a few years in my 20s just fed up with it all. I moved back to be around family a few years later. Honestly, I think I missed the weather almost as much as the family. I actually developed vertigo while we were living in Arizona so I know how you feel with the illness. One good thing about living in OC is the access to some of the best medical care out there.

I enjoyed your report so much I thought I'd return the favor with some of my favorite places in OC that I think you guys would like and aren't too pricey (if you haven't already heard about them). I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but I figure it's easy enough to ignore me if you aren't interested. :-) I'm enjoying your adventures so much I want to be sure you have fodder for many more. :-)
How awesome is this list?? I love that you shared all those great ideas, and now we can't wait to do a bunch of them!! I'm sure it will probably take us years to accomplish everything, but thank you so much for your "local" advice I'm glad that you're enjoying reading along and can relate to a lot of our experiences! Maybe we'll get to see you in the parks sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I definitely second the Catalina Island idea that summerw touched on above (in the Newport Beach section of all of the wonderful suggestions and tips), and you can find discounts on the Catalina Flyer out of Newport Beach. BUT I recommend skipping the Flyer (unless you are staying on the Island overnight) and instead driving to Long Beach (right near the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific) to catch a Catalina Express boat. The Express' departure times and arrival times are more frequent than the Flyer's, and will allow more flexibility.

Best of all, starting today (and going through April 30th of next year), you can get a free round-trip boat ride to Catalina on your birthday through the Express. That is a great value, as the boat fare normally runs over $70 per person. This is the 3rd year in a row that they are offering the free boat rides, and they let people claim the offer again even if they claimed the offer in the past. I took advantage of it last year and I'm doing it again this year! It would be a great day trip idea for you and Tracy!

If you Google Image "Catalina Express Free Birthday Boat Ride" or some similar combination of words, in the pictures that appear you may see photos from PrincessInOz (who posts here in this thread) and from me. I did that this morning (though I cannot recall the exact words I typed in) and up popped some of PiO's photos and mine in the results! (We both posted Catalina photos here on DISboards, so I think that's why they were lumped together in the search results!)

Anyway, summerw gave some great tips and ideas that would be of interest to anyone - even to people who have already lived in O.C. for years! I would bet that a lot of O.C and L.A. residents have never done a lot of the things on summerw's list!
Thanks for the tips on Catalina Island!! That's definitely high up on our list of things to do (as are a bunch of the other things summerw recommended now). That's good advice about trying to do it for free on our birthdays. We'll have to see if we can make it work one of those days this year!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #213
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 28
Give Thanks

Click here to read more.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-10-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #214
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Happy Belated Thanksgiving. It looks like a good spread and your list of activities shows what a busy November it was.

That duck! I took this at the Royal Melbourne Show last year and was quite taken with its appearance.

It's a Crested Duck, which started out as a genetic mutation, and is now a 'normal' feature.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #215
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Just had to tell you that I love the reference to the Friends "Moist Maker" - I like making them every Thanksgiving! We're also huge "Friends" fans and I'm pretty sure my DH can recite every memorable line from the show. So anytime someone gets unnecessarily dramatically mad about something, DH will look at me and say, "My Moist Maker?!" and we'll both laugh!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #216
disnic75
Joe Rohde is so cool!

Smile

Hi, Taylor!

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all of your trip reports but this one is the ultimate adventure! I wish you and Tracy the best of luck!

My niece and I were supposed to be heading to Disneyland in just a few weeks but those plans fell through We will be going to Disney World instead and hope to make it to California in December.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment of your tale

disnic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #217
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting the pictures of Orange. I had never been there in my life, until the last time we drove to Disneyland.

I am the trip navigator when we drive, (and a POOR one at that), but this past time, the Hubby assured me he didn't need ANY exit reminders.

Lo and behold, we found ourselves in Orange instead of at the Katella exit we usually take!!!

I was enchanted with the look and flavor of the old-timey down town area, and found myself wanting to linger in a bad way! Hubby wouldn't let us, but I have planned a side trip maybe in October or December.

How fun for you to be able to call that "Home"!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #218
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy Belated Thanksgiving. It looks like a good spread and your list of activities shows what a busy November it was.

That duck! I took this at the Royal Melbourne Show last year and was quite taken with its appearance.

It's a Crested Duck, which started out as a genetic mutation, and is now a 'normal' feature.
Mystery solved!!! Thank you! Glad you got to meet a Crested Duck too. They are quite fancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
Just had to tell you that I love the reference to the Friends "Moist Maker" - I like making them every Thanksgiving! We're also huge "Friends" fans and I'm pretty sure my DH can recite every memorable line from the show. So anytime someone gets unnecessarily dramatically mad about something, DH will look at me and say, "My Moist Maker?!" and we'll both laugh!
Glad you enjoyed the reference! We were glad that the Moist Maker was as delicious as it sounded when we finally tried doing it several years ago. Now we look forward to the sandwiches almost as much as Thanksgiving dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnic75 View Post
Hi, Taylor!

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all of your trip reports but this one is the ultimate adventure! I wish you and Tracy the best of luck!

My niece and I were supposed to be heading to Disneyland in just a few weeks but those plans fell through We will be going to Disney World instead and hope to make it to California in December.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment of your tale
Thanks for reading!! I'm glad you're enjoying

Sorry to hear that your Disneyland plans fell through, but yay for going to WDW instead! Hope it's a great trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures of Orange. I had never been there in my life, until the last time we drove to Disneyland.

I am the trip navigator when we drive, (and a POOR one at that), but this past time, the Hubby assured me he didn't need ANY exit reminders.

Lo and behold, we found ourselves in Orange instead of at the Katella exit we usually take!!!

I was enchanted with the look and flavor of the old-timey down town area, and found myself wanting to linger in a bad way! Hubby wouldn't let us, but I have planned a side trip maybe in October or December.

How fun for you to be able to call that "Home"!
It's so easy to get lost around here because the streets in all the cities have the same names! If I had a dollar for every Chapman St in these parts... I'm glad you enjoyed your little detour into Orange. We definitely like it here. The circle area is a great place to hang out for a while and just enjoy walking around. Hope you get to check it out for longer next time you're here!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #219
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 29
Haul Out the Holly

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-10-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #220
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I love the tree in your living room, which is looking so cosy! Seems like you've really settled into the SoCal OC lifestyle there.

You didn't get that baby Bjorn for Duffy??? Really?? I think you and Tracy need to go get one.....eventually.

Nice pictures of GC lobby and christmas decorations.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #221
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Beautiful Tree! And what a lovely way to get into the Christmas spirit by visiting Downtown Disney.

I have to agree with PIO, so surprised that you didn't rush to buy Duffy his own baby Bjorn!

Thank you for your continued musings ... looking forward to the next installment.
AussieDisneyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #222
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Love the Christmas pics, especially as we get to see it this year! BTW, I enjoyed Bill Bryson's "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" much more than "Walk in the Woods" so you might try that one. It's very funny.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #223
summerw
Mouseketeer

Anytime, about the list. I haven't done some of those things in years. It made me nostalgic to type it up.

That bjorn is hilarious! Oh Disney. We'll definitely keep a look out for you in the parks. We don't go as much during the summer. Besides the blackout days, I grew up here so I'm a total whiner when the temperature isn't between 60 and 78. :-) Maybe you've noticed from the "Stormwatch" warnings when it's sprinkling out that I'm not alone in my intolerance for real weather.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #224
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love the tree in your living room, which is looking so cosy! Seems like you've really settled into the SoCal OC lifestyle there.

You didn't get that baby Bjorn for Duffy??? Really?? I think you and Tracy need to go get one.....eventually.

Nice pictures of GC lobby and christmas decorations.
Glad you liked our tree! I miss having it in the corner...

I can't believe we didn't get the Baby Bjorn either. Our reasoning was that it was very much Christmas themed and we wanted one that would be in style year-round. We hoped after Christmas they would come out with a Valentine's Day model or something, but they never did. Now we'll have to buy it this coming Christmas...

Glad you like the pix of the GC. Prepare for an onslaught of more in an upcoming update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Beautiful Tree! And what a lovely way to get into the Christmas spirit by visiting Downtown Disney.

I have to agree with PIO, so surprised that you didn't rush to buy Duffy his own baby Bjorn!

Thank you for your continued musings ... looking forward to the next installment.
It was a nice little tree, but one of these years we'll need to upgrade to a full-sized one. We're simply out of space for our ornaments.

See my comment to PiO above about the Baby Bjorn. It's not that we didn't WANT to get it...

I'm glad you continue to enjoy my ramblings Hopefully that will keep being true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Love the Christmas pics, especially as we get to see it this year! BTW, I enjoyed Bill Bryson's "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" much more than "Walk in the Woods" so you might try that one. It's very funny.
Interesting about the other Bryson book. I've checked that one out from the Kindle library before and let it expire before reading it. Looks like I'll need to put it on hold again... Glad you're enjoying the pix of the Christmas decorations. Many more still to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerw View Post
Anytime, about the list. I haven't done some of those things in years. It made me nostalgic to type it up.

That bjorn is hilarious! Oh Disney. We'll definitely keep a look out for you in the parks. We don't go as much during the summer. Besides the blackout days, I grew up here so I'm a total whiner when the temperature isn't between 60 and 78. :-) Maybe you've noticed from the "Stormwatch" warnings when it's sprinkling out that I'm not alone in my intolerance for real weather.
Glad you enjoyed writing the list! I'm sure we'll enjoy starting to tackle it. We wanted to hit up the Irvine community sale last weekend, but by the time we checked what time it started, it was already over. We're just NOT morning people on the weekends, and apparently it ended at noon.

We thought the Bjorn was quite funny too. Next time we see one, we're buying it!

I definitely understand about not wanting to go to Disney when it's too hot (or rainy). We've avoided some days for those reasons. We're quickly getting into the mindset that colder than 60 degrees is freezing. We'll be in trouble next time we visit CO during the winter...

Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #225
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 30
I Feel It in My Fingers

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-10-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: