Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #136
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Don't be afraid of college confidential. Sure there are the over achievers. But there are also plenty of normal people as well. Check out the Parents' Forum and Parent Cafe. You will find threads strictly for 3.0-3.3 kids and 3.3-3.6. There is a ton of information and recent real life experience from these parents from starting the search for colleges, to navigating the financial aid world. There is plenty of information about colleges that are generous with merit money for these students too.

I still visit the site daily and my last child graduated from college 2 years ago. I have some friends I made there with whom I keep in touch. Some are from my kids' university, others are not, but we had things in common. Plenty of friendly people. You just have to find them, just like on the Dis!
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #137
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Well my dd just signed up to take the ACT again on June 8th. She took it the first time at the end of her sophomore year and got a 21. We were hoping with another whole year of school she'd do better this go around but only got a 22. In all honesty she didn't study one bit. She's a good student takes honors classes and has a 3.7 unweighted GPA, just not a real good test taker. The university that is commuting distance from us has a 21 requirement for admissions so I was fine with letting the 22 stand, but she wants to take it again. I think a lot of her friends got higher scores and she's pretty competitive. Who knows maybe she'll get some studying in this time. Nah who am I kidding, the last day of school is June 7th and she'll be studying for finals. Oh well maybe 3rd time will be a charm.

And for the poster who asked what is a good score, in my mind, it is a 25 or higher.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #138
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
I think I will stay away from the site. Actually my dd skipped a year, and they wanted her to graduate this year which would make her 2 years early. Honestly I was glad she said no. I left it up to her. I find it causes more problems than anything. Can imagine a young 16yo heading off to college? She does want to go away because she doesn't have a school near us with what she wants. I'll just stick to this thread. Thanks for all the info. I'm lost. Things are nothing like when I was young. The pressure these kids are under is awful.

Hey, I was 16 when I went to college, and I turned out okay... But I was always really independent, and even though I loved my parents dearly, was ready to go. Of course, I did some stuff at that tender age that if I think about too hard, makes me want to lock my dear DS in his room until he's 30... It'll be hard enough for me to let him go at 18, lol!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #139
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Can imagine a young 16yo heading off to college?
my oldest has a friend who went to college at 16 -- his parents kept him in HS until he turned 16. The boy was a math genius. I've never seen anything like it. their quiz bowl/academic team blew everyone out of the water that year ... this kid knew the answers to the math questions before they were even finished reading them.

he went to a very small private school in close proximity to his extended family. graduated a couple of years ago.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #140
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

I finally have a minute to catch up. We have the college stuff as my daughter puts it on hold because things are so busy. She did write a few trial common app essays for an English assignment. She really wants to go to school in LA (we don't live in CA). We have 3 weeks left of school with finals. Term papers are done. Projects, tests, recitals, camping trips and performances still going on- then the dreaded finals. DD is a good hard working student, though she is not a very good test taker, fine with essays but terrible with other types of tests especailly standardized tests. We don't have her ACT scores yet as she took hers under special testing at her school and we can only get the results via snail mail. She wants to retake them in June but I don't know if she will be in town enough to do that. We hope to finalize some of our summer plans this weekend inbetween performances.

We have looked at 4 colleges and she has stayed at 2 others for brief summer programs. 3 of them last year and one this year. Here is our what we saw:

University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) as her college counselor has said it is imprinted in every high school kid he knows to love this school when they visit. It has its own beach, lots of vibrant healthy looking kids biking and skate boarding to class, they serve sushi in the cafeteria. The school is known for undergraduate research. It is part of the UC state school system so like other CA schools it is suffering from tough economic times making it hard to get the classes a person needs to graduate in 4 years. It appeared to be strong in the sciences and ok in the arts. It also has a reputation for being a somewhat demanding academic school while also being a pretty heavy duty partying school. If anyone is interested in Dance it is modern based and does require an audition. Theatre department is small. Both programs are BA until you are student for a year and then you can apply for a BFA. All CA public schools have minimum requirements to apply including specific courses and gpas they require. Double majors are allowed. DD will probably apply but it is not one of her top choices.

University of Southern California (USC)- large private school, fairly competitive for admission. DD was a bit overwhelmed at first but came to really like the school for the programs it offers. They offer a pretty top notch film school and theatre school. A new school of dance is opening in 2015. They have a lot of beautiful science, gaming and engineering buildings. Some of the liberal arts like philosophy seem to not have the popularity or money of a department like computer science. Marshall business school is extensive. Has large following for its football team and they just recruited a new coach for men's basketball to try and up that program. We know several students that run track for USC. Athletics are a big deal. Campus is lovely old buildings combined with newer buildings in a middle class area of LA. Some sketchy neighborhoods as you get further from campus. DD will apply but it's a reach for her. Theatre BFA requires an audition/portfolio review, BA requires an interview.

University of California at Irvine (UCI). This is in suburbs. This is pretty close to Disneyland!!! It has a 1970s feel with some newer style buildings. The campus is a large circle. The dorms are tiny and the ones we saw are a bit odd. The dance studios are excellent as is the dance departments reputation. It includes dance, modern, jazz and has a more mixed feel then one specialty. Appeared to be a bit boring on weekends with students returning home but we could have misread that. Suffers from the same problems as other CA University problems. DD will probably apply. The dance department requires an audition as well as separate admission to the University.

Southern Methodist University (SMU)- a medium size private school in Dallas, TX. Pretty campus, old buildings, religious affiliation is not very strong if it even exists any more. Has a real Texas corporate feel. There is a lot of affiliation between the schools and business looking for employees. The theatre program is narrow and exclusive. They admit 25 students a year and it is BFA, with no option to double major. Highly selective for Dance and Theatre. Not sure about the rest of the school. DD will not apply.

Occidental College- we did not tour here but DD went to a 2 week dance program here two summers ago. The campus is a bit run down, and suburban. The academics are supposed to be very good with a strong liberal arts program.

CA State Northridge (CSUN)- DD went to a program run by the Joffrey Ballet and housed at CSUN. She lived in a very nice suite style dorm for a month. The dance and performance facilities were beautiful and well equipped. It is a large school physically. Not really near anything but about an hour from LA on a good day.

Colleges we would like to learn more about so if anyone has any information on any of the following or any we have not listed we look forward to hearing about your adventures:
Loyola Marymount
CA State Long Beach
CA State Fullerton
Colorado State
Florida State
Tulane
Elon
University of Maryland (DH has his undergrad from here but that was a really long time ago and current info would be greatly appreciated)
American University (current information. I have my Masters from here but it was a long time ago)

I hope eveyone survives the end of school, finals and tears as senior friends move on. Good luck putting your lists together. Lets keep posting about schools even you end up eliminating them. A school that is not a match for your DD or DS maybe for someone elses.

Have a good weekend.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #141
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

So here I am reading about everyone's college visits, and I'm totally feeling like my daughter has dropped the ball...I can't even get her to look at the mail the colleges are sending her, much less get her interested in visiting any campus or thinking about what she wants to major in. I'm getting frustrated with her lack of ambition, but I'll be just as happy with her going to school locally and living at home and I think that she wants that as well.

On the bright side, she has decided that she wants to take a class at the local community college over this summer, so we are working on getting her admitted and registered for that. Her plan is to take Calculus this summer so that she doens't have to take AP Calculus next year. I'm good with that, since I know that most realistically she is either going to go to CC for a year or two or go to one of the state schools, and the state schools all accept the CC credits without any problems...so a class at CC is as good as taking it at UCONN later or taking it as an early college experience class at the high school next year. She has been 'accepted' (meaning I paid the application fee ) for the summer term, now I need to get her there to take the placement test.

And of course, I still need to register her for the June SAT. The registration deadline is next week, and I haven't been able to get her to give me the logon information for the college board site. The school musical is this weekend (opening night was tonight) so on Sunday I'll get that taken care of for sure.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #142
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
So here I am reading about everyone's college visits, and I'm totally feeling like my daughter has dropped the ball...I can't even get her to look at the mail the colleges are sending her, much less get her interested in visiting any campus or thinking about what she wants to major in. I'm getting frustrated with her lack of ambition, but I'll be just as happy with her going to school locally and living at home and I think that she wants that as well.

On the bright side, she has decided that she wants to take a class at the local community college over this summer, so we are working on getting her admitted and registered for that. Her plan is to take Calculus this summer so that she doens't have to take AP Calculus next year. I'm good with that, since I know that most realistically she is either going to go to CC for a year or two or go to one of the state schools, and the state schools all accept the CC credits without any problems...so a class at CC is as good as taking it at UCONN later or taking it as an early college experience class at the high school next year. She has been 'accepted' (meaning I paid the application fee ) for the summer term, now I need to get her there to take the placement test.

And of course, I still need to register her for the June SAT. The registration deadline is next week, and I haven't been able to get her to give me the logon information for the college board site. The school musical is this weekend (opening night was tonight) so on Sunday I'll get that taken care of for sure.
you didnt drop the ball, every kid is different and you dd sounds like my dd. My dd id tsking the SAT in June (we only just signed her up) she will be going to cc too.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #143
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So here I am reading about everyone's college visits, and I'm totally feeling like my daughter has dropped the ball...I can't even get her to look at the mail the colleges are sending her, much less get her interested in visiting any campus or thinking about what she wants to major in. I'm getting frustrated with her lack of ambition, but I'll be just as happy with her going to school locally and living at home and I think that she wants that as well. .
My DS is like that. It's hard for us because our first son knew exactly what school he wanted to go to, knew his major and everything before he even started his junior year of high school. We did no school visits and he applied to the one school.

What's funny is that he left that school in December, moved out of state, is going to a community college and is changing his major and is 100 times happier than he was at the big college
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #144
Gina

I keep wondering if my DS will end up being like that... He has been so sure for at least a year now of the school and the major, and while I do think that both will be an absolute perfect fit for him, you just never know what will happen in life to change your perception of things or open up new vistas to you.

I don't think anyone should feel bad at all if their child is still unsure what they might like to do, or where they want to go to college... I honestly think I'd be able to relate to one of those better! This early-age committment thing is foreign to me. I wish I had known at 17 what I wanted to do!! Heck, I'm 46 and still haven't decided.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #145
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I keep wondering if my DS will end up being like that... He has been so sure for at least a year now of the school and the major, and while I do think that both will be an absolute perfect fit for him, you just never know what will happen in life to change your perception of things or open up new vistas to you.

I don't think anyone should feel bad at all if their child is still unsure what they might like to do, or where they want to go to college... I honestly think I'd be able to relate to one of those better! This early-age committment thing is foreign to me. I wish I had known at 17 what I wanted to do!! Heck, I'm 46 and still haven't decided.
My daughter says marine science. I say make sure the school is offering plenty of other options because I think one or two semesters in and she's going to want to change majors ASAP. So while using marine science as our basis for looking at schools, we're making sure there are plenty of other viable options.

And Scrapquilter, I left nothing up to my DD because she was very laidback in the process too. I scheduled her SAT, I researched the colleges and gave her what I thought were viable options, then checked the open house/visit schedule and said "on this day we're going to see "x" college". Done. And she was fine with that. With school, ECs, trips, prom, etc. she really just had too much on her plate to worry about "the future" when the present was getting a little overwhelming.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011

Last edited by PrincessKsMom; 05-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #146
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

We have a college freshman, so I've been there, done that. She's very happy at USC, with a double major (Philosophy, Politics and Law and English).

This is mostly for JeanieNM:
USC admission is increasingly selective. The admit rate for next year was around 19%. It's brutal. Financial aid tends to be very fair, and the new dance school is exciting. USC encourages students to explore, to take classes across disciplines and to double major or major/minor. Our D is happy, her roommate is in the Fine Arts, the audtion is critical.
The Cal State System and the UC system have very specific admission requirements. And in the case of the UC schools, a very specific GPA calculation. Make sure your student has all the needed courses, and know how to calculate the GPA. Most Cal State schools have very limited dorms (if any). They are really designed to be commuter schools. It is increasingly difficult to graduate in 4 years (multiple family members caught in the 5 year plan).
D attended programs at UCI multiple summers--the dorms are what they are...but they are comfortable, it's a great campus (and it's really close to Disneyland).
CSUFullteron has some dorms, its' not all that much further from Disneyland (different direction). Several family members have not been able to graduate in 4 years, so plan for five, just in case.
CSU Long Beach, much more impacted than Fullerton. No other information.
Occidential is a good school, with a strong Alumni Base
Loyola Marymount is lovely, good school.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #147
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Anyone else have an SAT taker today? DS sent me this text at 1:30 today:

I hate you for making me take that
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #148
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post

My DD took it today, she said it was the longest morning of her life, I told her to suck it up!!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #149
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post

LOL!! Love it. And good luck to your DS!

I thought it might be helpful to share scholarship info we come across, general scholarships that anyone can apply for. This is a cool one -- kids can have fun and be creative:

Zinch's Weird World of Wonderful Scholarships

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

-gina-

Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #150
madge
... is soaking in it

DS has not made one visit, nor has he given much thought to where he really wants to go ... so you're not alone!

honestly, it's going to be a combination of where he likes & what kind of scholarship money he qualifies for, which means he won't be narrowing things down for a while.

Quote:

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread