Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Columbia SC hotel, cab, and stadium questions please...

All the nicer hotels near the Williams Brice Stadium are booked.

There is a Quality Inn #4 out of 11 on Trip Advisor for West Columbia on Augusta Hwy across from Walmart near a Ruby Tuesday. The Clarion around the corner from it also doesn't look too bad.

Does anyone know if this area is safe and ok to stay in? It doesn't have to be great. We're just spending 1 night.

Also, is there a cab service there? I'm guessing we'll have to call ahead for one.

Thanks so much for any info, restaurants, things to know, etc.
Snoopymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

Are you coming for the concert ?

No, do not book either of those hotels ! I will look more for ya when I get home around 10m
Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Yes, but last minute decision, ugh!

uh oh! Ramada Limited on Garner Lane?

thankyou!!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Shanna, my sister booked us in the Fort Jackson area, 6 miles from the stadium. I hope it's ok, a little farther off the highway which is usually better?

Also, the gates open at 10:00 in the morning, so we'll probably go straight there instead of trying to find a restaurant/bar to hang out at first.

But thanks for steering us away from the Quality Inn area! Really appreciate it! Are you going?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Not sure how much help I can give, but just a few thoughts:

Ft. Jackson is HUGE so not sure what part of town you'll be in. There's both good and bad along the Ft. Jackson corridor. Honestly, though, mostly bad.

I've only been in Columbia a few years and never taken a cab, but I know I've seen very few of them around and I've heard they're difficult to get. Are you brining your own vehicle? Might want to have a DD instead of relying on a cab.

There are lots of great restaurants on Devine and in Vista entertainment district. 5 Pts. has some great restaurants too, but it's a college party area so many restaurants are actually bars. There have also been some unfortunately incidents of crime in 5 Pts. in recent months, so I'd suggest Devine or Vista instead.

Not going to the concert or really familiar with stadium crowds, but I know it's always crazy busy arouund there on game days, with traffic congestion for miles around.

Hope you have a great time!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

NaLisa, it's on Garner's Ferry Rd off of 77 it looks like. There is a big cemetery/ memorial park across the street. There are 5 hotels right together. I did a street view on Google and the area looks nice.

Yes, I was a little worried about a cab. In Atlanta, you have to call them way ahead of time. I called the front desk and she said there are about 5 cab services she has phone numbers for, so I hope we're good. It's just the 2of us, and I don't want to worry about parking and I really would like to have a drink or two since it's an all day thing, so when I call for a ride over, I'll make sure they'll be available to pick us up too.

Thanks for the info on the Vista area. I see that's where the Hilton is, about 2 miles from the stadium, so maybe we'll walk around there before the show.

I'm suck a geeky planner, draws out the fun for me, so thanks so much!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

SnoopyMom, sorry I didnt get back to you last night.

I think you'd be A-ok at Garners Ferry and 77, my husband works right there and it's totally fine. There is a good cluster of hotels right there.

As far as before/after concert. I would not even go near 5 points. It's insane college party. Ppl get out of control real quick and there is some sort of crime there every event.

I would totally stay in the Vista or Devine.

There are a few places we like to go #1 Jillians in the Vista is a lot of fun, followed by Liberty Tap room.

As far as cabs go, there will plenty of them, and plenty of police about too !
Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

I agree with Shanna that your hotel location is fine. You'll likely go down Rosewood to get to stadium from there; there are also a few good restaurants/bars on Rosewood.

But the Vista is probably your best bet for a fun place to hang out before the concert and have no trouble catching a cab to stadium. It'll be busy, though. Everything's close together and very walkable and there are plenty of restaurants and bars in the area plus some galleries, unique shops, etc.

If you like Tapas, there are a couple of great places in the Vista. Blue Tapas Bar is a little off the beaten path so not usually as crowded. They have excellent tapas and a huge cocktail menu plus extensive selection of microbrews and wines. They also have a nice covered patio and it's very relaxing. I also like Gervais & Vine but haven't been there in a while. The Flying Saucer is a lot of fun, too.

Enjoy the concert and hope you don't get too wet!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the recommendations! I didn't think there would be so many places. I can't wait! Pretty crazy weather for May, high is only 67, oh well better than being super hot!

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Hey, just thought I'd let you know we had a great time! Columbia is a very friendly and a very southern town! During lunch we heard some seriously loud explosions, but no sirens or anything, and then when we left we saw a bunch of civil war reenactors, so we figured they fired off some cannons or something, too funny!!!

We did have cab trouble after the show. We were going to walk to the Tin Roof where we had lunch earlier and then catch a cab as our waiter suggested, but we got swept a long with the crowd in the opposite direction to the parking lots, hence no cabs, and by the time we got turned around, it was going to be over 2 1/2 more miles. Not so bad, but I twisted my ankle trying to get out of the way of someone falling drunk down the steps during the show, and it was killing me.

We ended up following some normal looking locals to...try not to laugh, The Loose ****, hillarious dive with a really crazy mix of people. The guys playing pool kept picking up the table, there was a girl with a springy new years head band on with a lighted up Miss America sash, a guy with super long hair in a duster coat, a few Kenny Chesney look alikes. Everyone knew each other, and suddenly about a quarter of the bar started doing a soul line hustle and they were so good, it looked like it might be an everynight thing for them. One guy acted like he threw out a hook and line and was reeling us in, just so funny, we felt like we were in a dream!

Anyway, we would have never found the place on our own, and they said we would have no problem getting a cab there, so we had drinks, a Jameson for my ankle, and sure enough, as soon as the gridlock cleared, we peeked outside and there was a cab, it was full, but another one pulled up right afterwards.

Sorry, got carried away, didn't mean to write a book, but thought you might find our experience pretty funny. Kenny Chesney had sound problems, but we were there to see ZBB, and he was great and also, surprisingly Craig Morgan in the park beforehand was so entertaing, we had the most fun there.

Our hotel was ok, extra large room and clean with a fridge and microwave, seemed like a safe area, lots of other people from out of town there for the show.

Thanks for all the great info. It helped a lot!

oh, that's funny, it bleeped the name out! I actually thought it was Blue **** until I paid the bill.

Last edited by Snoopymom; 05-06-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopymom View Post
Hey, just thought I'd let you know we had a great time! Columbia is a very friendly and a very southern town! During lunch we heard some seriously loud explosions, but no sirens or anything, and then when we left we saw a bunch of civil war reenactors, so we figured they fired off some cannons or something, too funny!!!

We did have cab trouble after the show. We were going to walk to the Tin Roof where we had lunch earlier and then catch a cab as our waiter suggested, but we got swept a long with the crowd in the opposite direction to the parking lots, hence no cabs, and by the time we got turned around, it was going to be over 2 1/2 more miles. Not so bad, but I twisted my ankle trying to get out of the way of someone falling drunk down the steps during the show, and it was killing me.

We ended up following some normal looking locals to...don't laugh, The Loose ****, hillarious dive with a really crazy mix of people. The guys playing pool kept picking up the table, there was a girl with a springy new years head band on with a lighted up Miss America sash, a guy with super long hair in a duster coat, a few Kenny Chesney look alikes. Everyone knew each other, and suddenly about a quarter of the bar started doing a soul line hustle and they were so good, it looked like it might be an everynight thing for them. One guy acted like he threw out a hook and line and was reeling us in, just so funny, we felt like we were in a dream!

Anyway, we would have never found the place on our own, and they said we would have no problem getting a cab there, so we had drinks, a Jameson for my ankle, and sure enough, as soon as the gridlock cleared, we peeked outside and there was a cab, it was full, but another one pulled up right afterwards.

Sorry, got carried away, didn't mean to write a book, but thought you might find our experience pretty funny. Kenny Chesney had sound problems, but we were there to see ZBB, and he was great and also, surprisingly Craig Morgan in the park beforehand was so entertaing, we had the most fun there.

Our hotel was ok, extra large room and clean with a fridge and microwave, seemed like a safe area, lots of other people from out of town there for the show.

Thanks for all the great info. It helped a lot!
Thanks for the update. Glad you had a great time! I've never been to the Loose (Rooster)aboose or the Tin Roof, but I'll have to give both a try after your reviews!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: