Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #31
hereyago
DIS Veteran

The HRBT is the debil lol. Amd why were you doing 70 in the rain as well. Dang it, now I want some Dounars , but its amidst 3 so no tunnel for me lol.

Last edited by hereyago; 05-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
The HRBT is the debil lol. Amd why were you doing 70 in the rain as well. Dang it, now I want some Dounars , but its amidst 3 so no tunnel for me lol.

What is Dounars???

I was trying to keep up with the other crazies
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #33
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
What is Dounars???

I was trying to keep up with the other crazies
Oops, I meant Doumar's, the food drive in place.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
Sgt Mickey
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
Oops, I meant Doumar's, the food drive in place.
Never been there. I may need to investigate into it.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
PirateFuzzball
Earning My Ears

OP, sounds like Atlanta. 80 is the usual speed on the freeways and interstates I travel on. Granted that's up until it rains, then everyone has a conniption (except me ).

CSB time:
Back a few years ago I was on I-285 heading home. A drop of rain hits my windshield and must have hit a car that was ahead two lanes to the left. I'm guessing at the sight of one drop of rain, Punkin had to start avoiding other drops because he nearly caused two accidents.

I can haul butt in my car in the rain, but that's because I've got tires that grip well in the wet (no low-rolling-resistance silliness), proper suspension, all wheel drive, and know how to handle my car. IMHO some accidents could be avoided with better tires and knowing how to drive one's car. I don't think people pay enough attention to their tires and just go with the cheapest, longest lasting, and/or lowest rolling resistance.

My favorite tire has to be the German (not China) manufactured Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Sure, the soft sidewalls on low profile wheels were a pain, but I never hydroplaned. Ever. I could cut through a pool of standing water and take turns in the rain at moronic speeds. Too bad they don't make it in my size anymore and started making them in China. Not trying to stereotype China, but there is a significant degradation of quality in this model when comparing the manufacture locations.
PirateFuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFuzzball View Post
OP, sounds like Atlanta. 80 is the usual speed on the freeways and interstates I travel on. Granted that's up until it rains, then everyone has a conniption (except me ).

CSB time:
Back a few years ago I was on I-285 heading home. A drop of rain hits my windshield and must have hit a car that was ahead two lanes to the left. I'm guessing at the sight of one drop of rain, Punkin had to start avoiding other drops because he nearly caused two accidents.

I can haul butt in my car in the rain, but that's because I've got tires that grip well in the wet (no low-rolling-resistance silliness), proper suspension, all wheel drive, and know how to handle my car. IMHO some accidents could be avoided with better tires and knowing how to drive one's car. I don't think people pay enough attention to their tires and just go with the cheapest, longest lasting, and/or lowest rolling resistance.

My favorite tire has to be the German (not China) manufactured Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Sure, the soft sidewalls on low profile wheels were a pain, but I never hydroplaned. Ever. I could cut through a pool of standing water and take turns in the rain at moronic speeds. Too bad they don't make it in my size anymore and started making them in China. Not trying to stereotype China, but there is a significant degradation of quality in this model when comparing the manufacture locations.

I don't know where I was in Georgia but last summer I drove to Disney and when I was driving through Georgia it started pouring so hard that all the cars started to pull off the side of the road. I didn't know what to doso I kept going just following the lights of the car in front of me. Not doing 70 maybe 10.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Because driving fast is fun.

I'm only half serious. I do somewhat think that our vehicles are getting so nice that it's difficult not to drive fast. The cars I used to drive back in the day would have been falling apart at 70 mph. Today's vehicles handle that, and much more, very smoothly.
Unless it is a older minivan! I half joke that my car CAN'T go more than 70 mph!!! It has issues when it is going that fast as it is...I'm pretty sure it would completely fall apart or something if I went faster.

I DO drive like an old lady though, so am 99% of the time in the right lane doing the speed limit minding my own business unless I'm going to make a left hand turn! LOVE middle lanes for tollway type driving -- I'm out of the way of speed racers & out of the way for the merging traffic.

It's a running joke at my work that they won't let me drive anywhere because it would take too long! Eh...I'll get there when I get there and make sure I leave in enough time to do so as long as there isn't any unforseen road closures, accidents or anything else.

I'm just not a drive fast person as most of the time people pass me by and then I end up at the red light next to them...hmm...how did that work out for you? Saved you what all of 10-15 seconds for you to reach the red light before me?

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #38
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
OP, you were doing 70 in a 55 in the rain and people were passing you??

Be glad you live where you do, and not where I live. People here pretty much obey the speed limits, in part because of the strict enforcement of the law.

I guess I'm conditioned by living here, but I'd never think to go 15+ over the speed limit, especially in the rain. Wouldn't be worth the expensive speeding ticket that I'd eventually receive.
Ding, Ding, Ding... and that's (IMO) exactly why everone else IS in such a hurry, because they can be. Because there isn't enough law enforcement on the roads to ticket the majority of the speeders. I drive I-4 everyday, in Orlando, and typically travel at 65-70 mph, even in the 55 zones and all I can think when some ******* goes flying around me is "please let there be a cop, please let there be a cop" but there NEVER is, so people continue to it. The people that really bug me, are the lane changers. And I don't mean the ones, that change every now and then. I mean the ones who are CONSTANTLY trying to get ahead, and changeing lanes every 2 or 3 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I usually WAVE at them when I get next to them!!
I do that too
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #39
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
Unless it is a older minivan! I half joke that my car CAN'T go more than 70 mph!!! It has issues when it is going that fast as it is...I'm pretty sure it would completely fall apart or something if I went faster.

I DO drive like an old lady though, so am 99% of the time in the right lane doing the speed limit minding my own business unless I'm going to make a left hand turn! LOVE middle lanes for tollway type driving -- I'm out of the way of speed racers & out of the way for the merging traffic.

It's a running joke at my work that they won't let me drive anywhere because it would take too long! Eh...I'll get there when I get there and make sure I leave in enough time to do so as long as there isn't any unforseen road closures, accidents or anything else.

I'm just not a drive fast person as most of the time people pass me by and then I end up at the red light next to them...hmm...how did that work out for you? Saved you what all of 10-15 seconds for you to reach the red light before me?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFuzzball View Post
I thought of this thread today when a COP STOPPED ME FOR DRIVING 73 in a 55 mph zone!!!

I, of course, DENIED IT, sweetly, then blamed it on the donut I was eating that must've given me a sugar high.

I asked him if he wanted the donut.

He says "are you trying to bribe me?"

"No", I say, "I'm now too nervous to eat anymore".

He laughed and went back to his car.

A few minutes later he came back and gave me a WARNING!

He told me "I couldn't give you a ticket, you made me LAUGH"

I'm driving 55 from NOW ON...

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
I thought of this thread today when a COP STOPPED ME FOR DRIVING 73 in a 55 mph zone!!!

I, of course, DENIED IT, sweetly, then blamed it on the donut I was eating that must've given me a sugar high.

oh.my
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #42
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Anyone who's in a hurry in the HRBT is smoking crack. Living down there beat the patience into me. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of going faster than 55 mph in there.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #43
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's funny. Very funny. Are you sure you didn't wink at him a few times.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #44
Mickeyistheman
DIS Veteran

Wow I know the speed limites are much higher in the southern states. I live in New Jersey - (waiting for the jokes)

However, our issue here is that they give Driver's license's to EVERYONE and I do feel that when you are over a certain age, you should be retested to see if you are still able to drive.

I know this sounds terrible, but if you can't read english which means you are not able to read the signs then until you learn no license for you either.

It is true everyone is in a rush, I have been in some cases as well. But when our speed limit is 50 and I am doing 60 and people are literally zooming past me doing at least 80 no one catches them.

I agree with one of the PP's the "Weavers" drive me crazy, talk about causing an accident.

However, my 2 BIGGEST Pet Peeves are 1) Not using blinkers EVER and 2) When you see that there is construction and they tell you which lane is closed, don't wait until the end to see if you can get there first. I mean
that is why there is traffic when things like that go on. Because god forbid you have to wait a little longer to get there.

I always say if I ever win the Powerball lottery - never driving again hiring someone to do that for me. Then planning a trip to Disney World and a Disney Cruise!!!
Mickeyistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Last week I'm driving out of my community in Florida. Speed limit is 25 and that's what I'm doing. Young fella rides my bumper, swerving into the oncoming lane a few times but can not pass due to oncoming traffic (double solid lines) When we get to the gate I stop for it to raise and drive through, he follows on my bumper and almost gets clipped by the gate coming down. Then I stop for a red light to exit onto the main highway and he swerves around me, runs the red light while making a left. Then his car quits and he coasts to a stop. My light turns green and I also turn left and give him a toot, toot as I drive by him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: