Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Have you looked into Birkenstock Sandles? I love their clogs but unfortunately can't fit into the ladies sandles. They don't make them in my size. (Size 11.5 )
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Have you tried gel inserts in any brand of shoes? You may need to wear a larger size shoe to accommodate the inserts.

A nurse told me that feet are not really a matching pair, so one shoe might be comfortable on one foot, but the matching shoe might not work for your other foot. She also said that podiatrists recommend orthotics for all adults by age 40.
My podiatrist has never recommended orthotics to me. (The old one didn't, either.) They did recommend I go to the local store which specializes in fitting people with foot problems and conditions such as diabetes for advice. My son had stress fractures and I took him there first of all for fitting with New Balance shoes, and later to an actual New Balance store because he has trouble finding shoes in his size.

The whole family wears New Balance now. I bought two brand new pairs of New Balance 846s just before my last trip. They needed no breaking in and were so comfortable I've bought at least six more pairs since then. I'm headed to the New Balance store to get some new shoes for my next trip!
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
funkdot
Earning My Ears

Our last trip we both got a pair of Sanuks. By far the best shoes we've ever worn in Disney. Not a single blister this time. It was like walking on air the whole time.

Duff-a-day!

Pirates was better before the movie. GO SOX.
funkdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

I have flat feet, plantar fasciticis and achilles tendon issues, I use new balance shoes but they tend to get too hot, last trip I used orthoheels flip flops they take a few weeks to break in a bit but I had no trouble with them
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Bernie Mevs. I found them for the first time at a store out in CA last year, and the lady told me that a ton of people buy them for DL; hiking; trips to Europe, etc. and that once people buy them, they always wind up coming back for more of those shoes. I can see why. I alternated between 2 pairs (an open toe and a closed toe) for our week at WDW last year, and they were by far the best shoes I have ever worn at WDW. My feet weren't even tired at the end of the night and we are open to close park people, so my feet are usually aching by the end of the day. If you buy them, know that they run a little small, so you might need to go up a size. Also, you definitely want to wear them around for a few hours, before wearing them for a whole day. The first time you wear them, they will hurt a little after a while because they need a few hours to stretch out and conform to your foot. The 2nd time you put them on, they will be perfect. We have a local store that sells them now, and the manager told me they are absolutely their best selling shoes. They come in several different colors. I almost always get compliments from strangers when I wear my silver ones. Someone is always asking where I got them.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

I second the Teva original mush - you can get them on the Teva website with free shipping. I cannot find a pair of shoes that are comfortable. Flip flops always work best for me and Tevas are the best. Great support, wide enough for my wide feet, and also they don't make my feet sweat more like many shoes do. I can't wear rubber flip flops because of this, and unfortunately the sanuk yoga mats (which were very comfortable) just would not work for me because I would end up slipping and sliding in them all day. Good luck!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Keens are awesome!!!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Ally and Katy's Aunt
Earning My Ears

Yellow Box flip flops. I am heavier set and wore Yellow Box everyday I was at Disney this past October (alternated between three different pairs). LOVED THEM!!!! My feet did not hurt at all!!!

Trips: 1989-offsite; 1991-Disney Inn; 2006-POP; 2010-CSR; 2012-BWI/Bonnet Creek;2013-Offsite

Ally and Katy's Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
Hootch
DIS Veteran

I wear mainly

Topsiders for casual. Three pairs to rotate and keep fresh changing shoes twice a day.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
saintsprincess
Earning My Ears

I just purchased a pair of Olukai Ohana flip flops today for my Disney trip and they are incredible. Can't wait to wear them!
saintsprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #26
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

I wear Merrel hiking boots in the parks. They give me tons of support so my feet and knees don't ache. In addition, my every day sneakers (Asics Gel Nimbus) gave me blisters, my hiking boots didn't. Sandal folks may think their feet would be too hot in hiking boots. I would be miserable and hurting in sandals. I'll take hot feet to hurting feet and knees any day!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbase8 View Post
I have flat feet, plantar fasciticis and achilles tendon issues, I use new balance shoes but they tend to get too hot, last trip I used orthoheels flip flops they take a few weeks to break in a bit but I had no trouble with them
Try some different socks with your New Balance, the kind that wick moisture away from your feet. Carry a spare pair so you can change partway through the day. That works for me!
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

I always wear Birkenstocks to the parks when the weather is warm enough. I usually take two pairs, just in case, but my feet generally do fine in the same pair the whole trip, and that's something because we usually go for a month.

I like Clarks clogs when the weather is cold. Even on our long trips in the fall, I never need them every day, but I'll pull them out every once in a while.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
cbeeindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDMous View Post
I am way more comfortable in sandals than sneakers for that much walking. My feet swell a bit and the sneakers just get too tight.

I like Merrel, Teva and Keen for comfortable walking sandals.
I agree! I loved my Reefs for walking in the parks. I actually bought Crocs flip flops and shoes to switch into, but they ended up giving me blisters and I wore my Reef sandals the entire time!

ME (28) DF (29)
cbeeindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
2kids1dog
Mouseketeer

We use the Teva mush flip-flops. Super comfy!
09/09 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 08/10 - Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 11/11 - Old Key West ~ 08/12 - Coronado Springs ~ 08/13 - Yacht Club ~ 8/14 - Animal Kingdom Villas, 3 day cruise on the Disney Dream, Polynesian
2kids1dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: