Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
Rack rate on deluxes can now rival prices at the Ritz Carlton and believe me there is no comparison in service or amenities!
And there it is. Let's be honest.. rack rates at the deluxes are often much higher than a true deluxe property outside of WDW. Paying $400 a night for the Poly or more, and not being able to get a decent reservation time or ANY reservation to eat there without booking 6 months in advance is ridiculous. Sure I practically live on the Disboards, but what about someone who doesn't? Can you imagine paying rack rate for those rooms which are nothing extraordinary, and not be able to eat there unless it was Captain Cooks and finding all the public spaces crammed with people every night and a pool so small that it's jammed in the high season?
Don't get me wrong. Disney is exceptional at what they do and their parks are outstanding. I truly believe though that they've gotten way too big for their britches on what they expect people to pay for their rooms, and I won't pay it for the Deluxes. I could.. but I won't.
However, as is proven time and time again, people will continue to pay it so the discounts are getting smaller and smaller.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #47
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

A Disney deluxe is nothing like a "real world" deluxe, which is what throws off guests who have the expectation that it will be. You're mostly paying for location - proximity to parks. Not service or amenities. The prices are that high now because people do pay them. Once enough of them stop paying those prices, they'll come down (probably discounted rather than a reduction in rack rates).

There is a Four Seasons going up right by Golden Oaks, which may satisfy those who are looking for real-world luxury on Disney property. No idea what the prices will be like though.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 05-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #48
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

As our kids have grown up, we have also outgrown staying onsite. Back when we started staying onsite WDW wasn't as busy as it is now. The buses were awesome, not packed like sardines, and they came more often. For the past few years we've been renting a car because of the bus inconsistencies and how crowded they are at the end of the night. So, that wasn't a huge change for us.

Also when our kids were young, they were smaller. We could stay in a room at POP with 1 bathroom and not have a problem all spreading out with enough room. Now that we have a teen and an almost-teen we need more room and another bathroom. The kitchen, living room, second bedroom, and washer/dryer are a welcome bonus.

We stayed offsite over Spring Break and the quiet serenity of the condo we were staying in was so nice, compared with the frenetic activity at an onsite hotel. Plus, paying less $$ for 10 nights at a condo than we would pay for a week at POP is HUGE for us. We would rather stay longer than stay onsite. More days at WDW = more fun!

In August we are doing a split stay in an offsite house with a pool for 6 nights, and then 5 nights at AKL. I need my savannah view fix. But we will definitely stay 100% offsite again.
January 2009 - POP Century
February 2010 - POP Century
February 2011 - POP Century
August 2011 - POP Century/POFQ Split Stay
January 2012 - POR
August 2012 - POP Century/AKV Split Stay
March 2013 - POP Century/Off-site Condo Split Stay
August 2013 - Pool House/AKV Split Stay
August 2014 - Windsor Palms Splash Pool Townhome
Cap'nJack'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #49
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

The room prices do seem high -

I tend to look at the "all in" vacation price per person though.

Our next trip is 7 days/6 nights at the Poly and with food, flight, park tickets and room it'll run about $250 per person, per night.

Is that excessive?

Seems to compare to other choices like Caribbean, Mexico or a cruise (Mexico might be cheaper) and is certainly cheaper than going to Europe.

If you are comparing to a beach house rental then yeah all those choices are a lot more $ but that's apples and oranges.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #50
Goofey Drool
Mouseketeer

We cant afford it anymore either. We stayed at POR, CBR, CSR 2006, 2008,2009. Taking a break from Disney for a few years I wasn't planning on staying somewhere else but it looks like the 2013 trip will be off site.
Goofey Drool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #51
ucncallmeflwr
Earning My Ears

We're spending our honeymoon at WDW, but are on a budget. Didn't really want to spend over a grand for a room so after a little bit of research we decided to try renting DVC points and stay in one of the villas -- 6 nights for $840! Can't beat it.

Pop Century, Dec. 2008
The Polynesian Resort, Dec. 2010
Pop Century, Dec. 2011
All Star Music Resort, Dec. 2012

Our Very Merry Disneymoon PTR Adventure!
ucncallmeflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #52
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucncallmeflwr View Post
We're spending our honeymoon at WDW, but are on a budget. Didn't really want to spend over a grand for a room so after a little bit of research we decided to try renting DVC points and stay in one of the villas -- 6 nights for $840! Can't beat it.
That's a great price.
married2mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #53
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I have looked offsite but I can't stand it. I am happy to be in a position to afford my vacations, and while expensive I don't think WDW has topped out the price range of vacation destination just yet. I do think they jack up the resort prices to a level that would not be accepted in the non-disney arena, but that is the 'price' for a Disney Vacation and it's still at a level that people are willing to shell out. Including me.

I love being in the 'bubble', but I'm lucky that I'm either solo or just traveling with parents or a friend. I don't need a huge room.

I think about having a kitchen but I don't eat a typical breakfast and I'm happying sharing a meal or just snacking the rest of the time. I only do one or two event/TS meals so I don't need a huge food budget to cover what I do eat. (I don't do DDP because it does not fit the way I eat so RO discount is a better deal w/ food OOP).

I am big on hopping back and forth from room to park to park so love having a room so close that I can fly by the seat of my pants on plans. I rent a car for offsite stuff but I am pretty laid back and I actually like riding the bus. between park and room.

By the time I stay offsite but take resort fees/parking fees, transportation time/non ability to do multiple back and forths from the room, what little I would save would not pay off in my enjoyment factor.

HOWEVER I have done plenty of vacations where I rented a condo and drove to my destination/activities and it's a doable vacation and has plenty of justification for larger groups or families.

I don't think it would ruin a vacation to stay offsite, it might put a damper on mine, but I think it is an acceptable alternative to many.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #54
joeyandangiesmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28KatCar View Post
I have done both. I love staying on site because of the convenience. I love being in the Disney bubble. For us we have to fly in and if we stay off site we have to rent a car, then we have to pay to park. Pluses are you can eat off site. Good Luck! I will probably always spend the money to stay on site
You are blessed...not everyone has these perks
joeyandangiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #55
The V Gang
The V Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom

Your responses here will tend toward "onsite is so much better"; if you post this to the Orlando Resorts board, likely a higher percentage of people will say, "Offsite is great!" Just pick the response you want.

More seriously, offsite ranges from "total dump with an ugly drive to WDW" to "nice as Deluxe and as close to the parks as the onsite average, but for a lower price!" Staying offsite does mean doing a bit more research, IMHO.

I also wouldn't stay offsite without a car; Wyndham Bonnet Creek is the only place I've seen that offers anything close to the onsite bus service, and it's not that close.

Unless WDW has some discount going, staying offsite is cheaper than the equivalent onsite unit, and usually you can kick up a level for the same price. We go offseason, and have always been able to get 2 BR condos offsite for less than Disney value rooms. With that full kitchen, we can do breakfast at "home", and sometimes lunch or dinner as well, which saves us a lot. But my kids aren't that excited by Disney meals -- Disney snacks and decadent desserts, yes, but meals, not so much -- and they can all cook a simple meal or two so I don't have to cook on vacation; saves us money and isn't a big hassle. I don't mind planning meals, but if I had to do all the cooking, I wouldn't appreciate offsite as much.

There are great vacations to be had both offsite and on, and a fair variety of experiences within either. You just need to figure out what works best for you.
We just got back from 10 nights in two rooms at POR. I have to agree with OP. I love Disney. Not crazy about some of the changes or policies but wr always enjoy the majority of our stay. Prices rising means we downgraded to moderate resorts but after two years they really aren't worth the price.

Next year we srd heading offsite. I would love to hear about where u stayed as I sm totally unfamiliar with the offsite resorts.

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #56
Jillscabanastories
Earning My Ears

I stayed off site on our second Disney vacation when my daughter was younger. Did not like it at all.

The first trip we had stayed at Caribbean Beach and had a wonderful time, used the buses, park hopped ect.

But, the second year my husband wanted to save some money so we tried offsite in Kissimee. We hated it. No Disney atmosphere, Disney Trans, meal plan, we vowed never again.

The drive into Disney just felt different, hectic, traffic, no food courts.

So the next time we went we still tried to save some money, but this time stayed at the all stars. Sure it was cramped. But, it just felt better to us to immerse ourselves in the Disney atmosphere. I would miss not staying on property.
Jillscabanastories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Like others we have stayed on and off site many times.

Off-site we especially liked Bahama Bay. Bahama Bay costs much less that Disney resorts, has large condos, nice landscaping and pools. However it adds extra costs like resort fee, cleaning fee, need for a rental car, gas, tolls, and parking. We save money by having a kitchen and access to off site restaurants. It is about 15 minutes drive to WDW.

Staying on-site means we have much less space. Off-season rates, promotions (like FD), and no rental car needed, can bring the cost down to nearly equal off-site prices by the time you add it all up.

We avoid EMH crowds, so that benefit is not a factor for us. The grounds at POR are compelling though, and that's a big reason why we will be there in September!
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #58
BigKid45
Mouseketeer

I love staying onsite, but DW prefers to save $$. We stayed at Windsor Hills in 2012 and for $104/nite it was hard to justify our 3 bedrooms with attached bath, laundry, personal pool, full kitchen and gated community compared to a cramped POR room in 2013 with 1 bath and noisy neighbors.
Don't get me wrong, I love Disney transportation and being in the heart of everything Disney, but dwindling discounts, crowded transportation, and rising resort prices has me on the verge of swinging to offsite accommodations for the future. We needed a car for our 2012 trip which included driving to Miami for our cruise, so an extra $375 for our rental car with discounted lodging at Windsor Hills we still came out ahead, dollar wise.
Free dining is becoming a scarce commodity and is too crowded for mediocre food and it most certainly dictates when and where we travel through the world. I may be an offsite convert in the future.

WDW-'72 & '73 Offsite, '05 & '06 Offsite, '08 WL-Club, '09 ASMu-FS, '10 Pop, '12 Windsor Hills, '13 POR
DL-Offsite every Oct 1974-1987 (Corp. Nites)
BigKid45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #59
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

Just out of curiosity I checked out Hilton BC for the dates I'm traveling in the fall. Deluxe room rate + daily resort fee + parking = the same as I'm paying at Port Orleans. And on-site I don't need to rent a car.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #60
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRose View Post
Just out of curiosity I checked out Hilton BC for the dates I'm traveling in the fall. Deluxe room rate + daily resort fee + parking = the same as I'm paying at Port Orleans. And on-site I don't need to rent a car.
that is a hotel

most of the comments are about Wyndham Bonnet Creek it is a timeshares - so it has have 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms

Last edited by spiceycat; 05-04-2013 at 01:29 AM.
spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: