Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Well Capital One said she had to have some credit already and only offered a secured card with a fee. Discover Card sounds like they may be an option, so we are going to have her try them. If not, we will check at the credit union where our accounts are to see if they will give her one. Thanks everyone!
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Do you belong to a credit union? My DS (now 19) got one when he was 18 through the credit union. I think he has a $1500 limit (though not for sure). He's done really well keeping it at a zero balance by the end of the month. He probably could get a limit increase, but hasn't tried because right now it isn't needed.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Get a Disney Visa in her name and yours.

This should work as your history will get the card.

With her name on it her credit builds.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

I added my dd to my Discover account. I did it for two reasons honestly. She is away from home, a couple hours away. The Discover, in a pinch..and it better be a big pinch..she can get actual cash of 50.00.

I got added her freshman year. Last year she applied for a capital one account. She was approved for a low limit of about 500.00. Which is good for her. She knows how much she will make so she knows if she charges she has to pay it off quickly.

Kelly
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

Add her as a joint owner to one of yours. It will count against her credit history too.

My son got his first CC thru a credit union but it was a secured credit card for 500 limit but there was a 500 hold placed against his savings account. So basically that's what he started w/to build his credit.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
LivingtheWDWdream
Dreamin of Disney!

According to the Credit Card act of 2009 credit card companies can not extend offers or sign up those who are under the age of 21 without a cosigner. If you do an online search for the Credit Card act of 2009 there are articles that detail it or you can look at the actual public law to read it in legal terms. The section on Young Consumers starts in Section 301 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-11...-111publ24.pdf

So you can have her try for the student card but every application for credit will put a ding on her credit report and every denial will also put a ding. So I would not apply to too many cards without doing it as a joint card or as a cosigner if your willing to agree to paying the bill if she defaults.

I had the same frustration when I first started out, especially with my first car where they said I didn't have enough credit to get a loan for the vehicle. So I had a cosigner and I made my payments on time and showed that I could handle a debt meet my obligations and make payments on time. Then when I went for other forms of credit and for my next vehicle I had better credit. So getting the cosigner helped me build my credit but gave the bank the security of knowing that they would get paid if I couldn't manage the responsibility.

So you being a cosigner will only help her establish credit you just have to be sure she can truly handle the responsibility.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingtheWDWdream View Post
According to the Credit Card act of 2009 credit card companies can not extend offers or sign up those who are under the age of 21 without a cosigner. If you do an online search for the Credit Card act of 2009 there are articles that detail it or you can look at the actual public law to read it in legal terms. The section on Young Consumers starts in Section 301 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-11...-111publ24.pdf

So you can have her try for the student card but every application for credit will put a ding on her credit report and every denial will also put a ding. So I would not apply to too many cards without doing it as a joint card or as a cosigner if your willing to agree to paying the bill if she defaults.

I had the same frustration when I first started out, especially with my first car where they said I didn't have enough credit to get a loan for the vehicle. So I had a cosigner and I made my payments on time and showed that I could handle a debt meet my obligations and make payments on time. Then when I went for other forms of credit and for my next vehicle I had better credit. So getting the cosigner helped me build my credit but gave the bank the security of knowing that they would get paid if I couldn't manage the responsibility.

So you being a cosigner will only help her establish credit you just have to be sure she can truly handle the responsibility.
I didn't think we cosigned for my son's credit card, but I guess we must have, then.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

my first card was an American express. they actually had a set up on my college campus if I remember correctly, and offered a great incentive if you signed up (2 plane tix for anywhere in the continental us for $99, I think they were round trip tix). I still have that card to this day, its been over 20 years.

if that isn't an option, maybe try a place like target. there is always something she could use at target which would make it easy to use and actually get stuff she needs. just reiterate the importance of paying off monthly or the interest rate will get her!
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
Do you belong to a credit union? My DS (now 19) got one when he was 18 through the credit union. I think he has a $1500 limit (though not for sure). He's done really well keeping it at a zero balance by the end of the month. He probably could get a limit increase, but hasn't tried because right now it isn't needed.
I agree, check with your credit union. Ours have a credit card for 18 and up with only a $250 limit. DD18 signed up for it and got it before she went to college in August. I figured it would help her get credit history and its only $250 so she couldn't run up $5000 and deal with trying to get it paid off. Its just enough for her to put gas on it or order something on line when she needs to. I know we didn't cosign for this credit card for DD. Now she does have a savings and checking account at the same CU so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited by SC Minnie; 05-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.
SC Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

A secured credit card is the best way to start.

The student has 'skin in the game' and it reports just as a regular credit card does.

Most banks do offer college credit cards as well. I'd have her go into the local branch where she has her bank account.
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingtheWDWdream View Post

Not true. You can be under 21 and have a credit card solely in your name.

Credit is not as easy to get these days as it once was. Please stop applying for cards all over the place. Your daughter's credit report is being harmed by doing so. Go to your bank and get a secured credit card.
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Just in case others might want to know, she was able to get a student Discover Card with a $500 credit limit (perfect, I didn't want her to get more than that). Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Oh, and I only had her apply for the Disney Visa and the Student Chase Visa. Then I had her try the Discover Card and that one does seem to be exactly what we were looking for. Designed for college students with a low limit.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
I had my DD19 apply for a Disney Visa, but she was turned down (no credit history...which is why we want her to get a card to start building credit history).

So since college students can't get Disney Visas, what is a good card for them to get as a first credit card?

I don't want her to use it much, just once in a while and pay it off each month. But that way when it is time to buy a car she will have some credit history.
My kids got an American Express Blue Card for students.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

My kids both have State Farm Savings Bank Student Visa cards. They have a low limit. Not sure if they still have them avail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: