Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

Question Joshua Tree NP?

We are thinking we will book the Westbound Panama Canal cruise on DCL next May. It will arrive in SD on the 17th of May, a Saturday. We have relatives we would like to spend the day with and then we would like to visit Joshua Tree NP. I am not able to hike trails, but would do boardwalk type HA trails, and go to Visitor's Centers and go to scenic overlooks. For the things that I want to do, would a trip of 1 day at the park or 2 days be better.

Thank you.
Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
rpbert1
DIS Veteran
 
rpbert1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangor Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,975

We go to JT when we are there as our cousin lives close to the entrance. i personally would say 1 day would be fine, but we do not do a lot of hiking or walking but spending a few hours there is lovely, its a couple of hours drive i think to get there from SD
__________________
<a href="http://s14.photobucket.com/user/rpbert1/media/foxy/_dsc9476_1100x80_zps495f45fa.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/rpbert1/foxy/_dsc9476_1100x80_zps495f45fa.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo _dsc9476_1100x80_zps495f45fa.jpg"/></a>
rpbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Camonkeygirl
Mouseketeer
 
Camonkeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbert1 View Post
We go to JT when we are there as our cousin lives close to the entrance. i personally would say 1 day would be fine, but we do not do a lot of hiking or walking but spending a few hours there is lovely, its a couple of hours drive i think to get there from SD
It is right about 3 hours with traffic. dh and I just spent 4 days there. I would suggest making reservations for the Keys Rnch Tour as it was a lot of fun
__________________
42 : DH 68
Camonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camonkeygirl View Post
It is right about 3 hours with traffic. dh and I just spent 4 days there. I would suggest making reservations for the Keys Rnch Tour as it was a lot of fun
Is the Keys Ranch something to be done through the NP Service?
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

I am not sure I can do a 90 minute walking tour, but I will mention the Keys Ranch tour to someone who can! It's something I would have loved to do!
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Is the Keys Ranch something to be done through the NP Service?
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/ranchtour.htm
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Purrkins
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
We are thinking we will book the Westbound Panama Canal cruise on DCL next May. It will arrive in SD on the 17th of May, a Saturday. We have relatives we would like to spend the day with and then we would like to visit Joshua Tree NP. I am not able to hike trails, but would do boardwalk type HA trails, and go to Visitor's Centers and go to scenic overlooks. For the things that I want to do, would a trip of 1 day at the park or 2 days be better.

Thank you.
Bobbi
Not lots of "scenic overlooks" in Joshua Tree, it's pretty flat and very spread out.

Hidden Valley is a WONDERFUL 1.1 mile loop hike with 140 foot elevation gain. Plenty of parking and facilities and picnic tables at the trail head. Interpretive signs everywhere. Lots of rocks for the kids to scramble on.

Skull Rock is a major destination that is literally right off the road. Some wonderful slot canyons to explore in the area around it - we've spent a full day just playing in this area. Requires some climbing and crawling to get around however.

Arch Rock Trail is a .3 mile trail to some neat geological formations.

But honestly if you're not going to hike, 1 day is more than enough for you although try to time it so you can see a sunrise or sunset while you visit. The desert really changes in these hours with colors and textures emerging from the flat expanse when the sun is low on the horizon.
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrkins View Post
Not lots of "scenic overlooks" in Joshua Tree, it's pretty flat and very spread out.

Hidden Valley is a WONDERFUL 1.1 mile loop hike with 140 foot elevation gain. Plenty of parking and facilities and picnic tables at the trail head. Interpretive signs everywhere. Lots of rocks for the kids to scramble on.

Skull Rock is a major destination that is literally right off the road. Some wonderful slot canyons to explore in the area around it - we've spent a full day just playing in this area. Requires some climbing and crawling to get around however.

Arch Rock Trail is a .3 mile trail to some neat geological formations.

But honestly if you're not going to hike, 1 day is more than enough for you although try to time it so you can see a sunrise or sunset while you visit. The desert really changes in these hours with colors and textures emerging from the flat expanse when the sun is low on the horizon.
Thanks for the insight and suggestions. I am pretty sure we will spend 2 nights and at least 1 whole day in the park. We'll look for the sunrise and sunset, and enjoy what we can!
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

Travel arrangement have changed and we will be spending only 1 night in a motel right outside the park. From what I've read here, the 1 night will be enough. We will be there at sunrise, sunset. I'm intrigued. Thank you.

We will head up to DL sometime that second day.
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Purrkins
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Travel arrangement have changed and we will be spending only 1 night in a motel right outside the park. From what I've read here, the 1 night will be enough. We will be there at sunrise, sunset. I'm intrigued. Thank you.

We will head up to DL sometime that second day.
Just got back from a single night at JT. Woke up Saturday and family felt like we needed some desert time. Got in late morning, went to one of the campsites and caught someone leaving. Set up camp and took a hike in the canyons near the campsite. It was mid-80's so not too bad. Went back to camp cooked and early dinner and then climbed some rocks for sunset. After sunset dis some astrophotography until about midnight and we went to sleep. Woke up at 6, had breakfast and broke camp and was back home Sunday just after 1 PM. Recharged and relaxed. Perfect 24 or so hour trip. Have a blast!
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrkins View Post
Just got back from a single night at JT. Woke up Saturday and family felt like we needed some desert time. Got in late morning, went to one of the campsites and caught someone leaving. Set up camp and took a hike in the canyons near the campsite. It was mid-80's so not too bad. Went back to camp cooked and early dinner and then climbed some rocks for sunset. After sunset dis some astrophotography until about midnight and we went to sleep. Woke up at 6, had breakfast and broke camp and was back home Sunday just after 1 PM. Recharged and relaxed. Perfect 24 or so hour trip. Have a blast!
You really have found a place you enjoy! Thank you.
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,842

What about Death Valley NP?

Too far from Joshua Tree? I would pend 1 night there, can get a cabin, before heading to Disney Land. We could pend 7 hours or so at the park, worth it?
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.