Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Freshman year of high school is one of HUGE adjustments.

What I don't understand, though, is what he's doing when everyone else is handing in their homework.

I know that in my classes, there's a definite routine: We begin class with a prayer (Catholic high school as well. ) Then the kids do the Do Now problem that's on the screen while I take attendance and check homework. Then we go over the homework and go on to the new lesson.

I could see if he was failing to turn in his homework in ONE class. But all of them? Don't most teachers have a routine something like mine, where homework is a predictable part of the class?
I wondered this too. And it's the end of the school year. Has this been going on all year?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

It's been a long while since I've been in school but I have also checked with my son (senior in a Catholic high school) and he says that most of his teachers start the class early on with: please pass your homework to the front.

So, are his teachers not doing this?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Does he have a smartphone? Program recurring reminders into it (e.g., in Google calendar) -- like to put it in his bag the night before, at 7:00 a.m. to check, and sometime during the school day to check again.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Does he have a smartphone? Program recurring reminders into it (e.g., in Google calendar) -- like to put it in his bag the night before, at 7:00 a.m. to check, and sometime during the school day to check again.
If his school is anything like mine, checking his phone during the day will be a MUCH bigger problem than not having homework.

Our kids get 5 demerits if their phone is caught out during the school day. (20 demerits get you suspended, 30 get you expelled, so 5 is a pretty big penalty.)

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

I am a post-it note addict. They are all OVER my office. I rely on them at home too, but sometimes they get covered up by other papers or whatever and become useless. I'm so bad I don't just walk into the next room and forget why I'm there... I stand up from my chair and forget why I stood up.

It may sound silly, but I sometimes write on my hand. Writing "Pick up dry-cleaning" on a post-it won't work for me. Where do I stick the post-it?

I write it right on my left hand in black ink so when i'm holding the steering wheel, there is NO WAY I can miss it I write along my thumb so it's visible while I'm driving.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I was thinking a watch alarm? I know most kids don't wear them, but it's not as likely to be confiscated as a phone.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Does he have a notebook with the clear cover in front? If so he can put the homework in that part so it is in front of him when he pulls out the notebook and see it and remember to turn it in.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Dear OP,

Both my sons went to a catholic private school 40 minutes drive away!!! For mom, that's an 1 hour and 30 min drive back and forth....after dropping them off already.

The first time they forgot something was the last. I am a post it addict also! I had post its up, signs up, etc. I even had a post it on the dashboard.."get it or forget it". Most of the time it was "I forgot my cleats!" "I forgot the form" We car pooled. My girlfriend once had to drive from work (an HOUR away) to drop off something my son left in her car. She never let that happen again

As freshman they were sooooo scared of everything at that school. By sophomore year, they knew when the deans were out checking hair length.

He'll get the hang of it. I know their school told us...we are here to help...if your student needs help...our teachers are to respond immediately to emails, calls, etc. Anything. I once had to have my oldest son have his teachers sign his planner. He was in love ~ don't even get me started with that!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Must be a Catholic school thing because I did that too. My parents came home from parents night fuming mad because 2 teachers told them I was missing assignments. I immediately went to my folder and gave them to my mom. I think that made her more angry. Ha! I remember after that, my biology teacher used to ask for my folder twice a week. She would page thru "this is mine" "this is mine".
I grew out of it.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Tink Fan, if I were you, I would sit down with him and have him break this down for each class.

How does the teacher collect the homework?
-If he/she asks for it verbally, does he hear this? If no, why not? If yes, what does he do next/instead?

If students are responsible for turning homework in on their own (putting it on the teacher's desk or passing it forward)
-Does he notice when other students are turning in their homework? If no, why not? If yes, what does he do next/instead?

Like PPs have mentioned, I'd also talk to him about making this a part of his routine and strategize about how he can remember to do this. For example, saying to himself "turn in your homework" or "did you turn in your homework" every time he walks in or out of the doorway of the classroom, or putting a reminder note or a sticker or a symbol that will trigger him to think about his homework where he'll see it at the start of every class (like on a notebook).
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
Make him print it out every morning before he leaves and carry it IN HIS HAND until he gets to school. So it is right in his face. Is there something he always uses like an ipod or cell phone? Have him tape it to that so he can't miss it.

Or take away his smart phone for 24 hours every time he forgets to turn one in. Sometimes it is a matter of motivation. And finding the right motivation.
Fine if the teacher normally gets assignments turned in via a physical mailbox before school starts, but if it needs to be turned in during class, the bolded could cause more problems than it solves for a forgetful kid, especially if he had any issues with being uncoordinated. Most hs kids go to their locker and homeroom before going to their classes, so there are a large number of opportunities to lose something being hand-carried before it reaches the proper destination. Set it down to take off a glove?: gone. Set it down to open a door: gone. Set it down to open a locker: gone. Put it on a locker shelf while you get your books together: left in the locker.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I really like two suggestions in this thread!

1. Using a binder with a clear cover. I'm currently in school and I use that spot to post the syllabus for each course so I always know at a glance what is coming up. I check off the assignments as I complete them. It's just a quick and easy way to see what's going on every single time I pull it out.

He could do the same with his assignments. They will be front and center as he settles into class. (No need to use one binder per class if he prefers one for all of them. He could just stack the assignments in the order of his courses. Then, as he turns one in, the next one will be staring him in the face.)

2. I also like the idea of speaking with his teachers and seeing if he can turn them in via e-mail. Even if they deducted a few point for not physically turning it in, at least the teacher can see that he's doing the work and not finishing late and fibbing about it.

I could easily see this being a problem with the way his mind works; and once the assignment is completed, it drops off his radar. If that's the case, it's just going to take time to get it right. But e-mailing the assignment could prevent more issues while he masters the skill.

Good Luck, OP. I completely feel his frustration and yours.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

I'd have him evaluated for Executive Function issues. If he has those issues, get an IEP in place to help him. Basically, I'd want to rule out Exec Function before moving on to other solutions (memory aids, punishments, etc).

I'd also ask the teachers (via email) how homework is collected...do they just stash it in a basket on the way in the door, does the teacher ask for it to be passed forward, do they hand it in at the end of class? Then customize a plan for each class.

Good luck, my friends deals with this (it's Exec Function in her son) and it's a tough one.
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

My DShad problems wwith this as a freshman too. He would do the work, but would shove it into the wrong folder and then couldn't find it in class the next day. Maturity helped him a lot, but in the meantime, I would ask him evvery day if he put his papers away in the right place. I also made him clean his backpack out weekly. He had some issues with organization. He is now a senior and hasn't had any issues in a long time.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: