Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #511
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Sorry, many of the folks following my PTR were asking what is in the box. I didn't think it was that big a deal of a surprise. I waited several days after the box arrived to post it.

If you would prefer, I'll take the pictures down after a few days. Again several of my DIS friends (not going on the trip) asked to see what was in it. I'll give them the chance and then I can take it down so no-one stumbles on them in the future.
I apologize if my last post sounded judgmental.

I just know that surprises and anticipation are a big part of going on an Adventure.

I would not want to take that away from anyone.

As adults, good surprises can be few and far between. I try to make sure that everyone gets to enjoy the surprises.

Again, I didnt mean to sound like I was scolding. I'm sorry if that's how it came across.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #512
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Again, I didnt mean to sound like I was scolding. I'm sorry if that's how it came across.
Kevin,

I respect you a lot, and respect both your opinion and advice. It did not come across as scolding at all, and I understand where you are coming from in limiting the ruining of surprises. Believe me, I am one that wants to be surprised on this trip, and already feels like I have found out more information than I wanted to. (I would have been very happy to have been surprised that part of our DCA morning involved backstage at Carsland without Disney having told us.) Part of me that enjoys sitting in on the chats also feels like I am really getting more information out of it than I really want...

However, I felt that I was not really spoiling much by posting these pictures. (1) I waited for several days after the box arrived to post, and when everyone on this thread seemed to be talking about having gotten the box, (2) I warned the folks here that I was posting the pictures over there, I also posted a picture of the box with the warning that I would be showing what was in the box in the future, (3) the pre-trip is not specifically ABD related, it is specifically in the WDW pre-trip forums, NOT ABD/or DLR, so the likelyhood of future ABDers coming across it is low.

My intent is not to ruin anyone's surprise, but to let people that might not otherwise get the chance to do a trip like this see what its about. As I said before, several people asked me specifically what was in the box.

I've even stated in my PTR that I would not post any "spoiler" pictures in my TR, but if anyone wants to know that stuff as well, I will be writing a more-detailed version, and I've already had a couple of DISers ask if they would mind me sending them the unedited version of the TR, because they really want to hear about it.

For all those reasons, I would like to keep the pictures up for a few days. After that, I will take them down as you suggest therefore future travellers would have not be able to come across them.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #513
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

If it was up to me. I would make everything a surprise.

The reason for sharing certain information is take the pressure off planning your "on your own" time.

If you know ABD has it covered, you can make plans to see and do other things.

A good example of this is on the London / Paris Adventure.

ABD likes to surprise guests with a ride on the London Eye. Our group was slicing their "oyo" time with a razor blade to try and fit in everything they wanted to see and do.

Telling them that the Eye was already built in allowed them free time to see Buckingham Palace.

This is the same things with Cars Land and the Carthay Circle. Knowing ABD has this already planned allows time to see other things.

Surprises that don't affect planning are a different story. Everyone deserves the chance to be "wowed" and while the contents of the box are not "wow" material....it's still fun.

I dont know about you, but I'm not frequently excited to see the mailman. I usually get bills and junk. Having something to look forward to is exciting.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #514
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Got out my pictures & scrapbook from our trip in 2008 & looked at them today. Can't wait to make new memories, take new pictures & meet new friends & reunite with old ones!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #515
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

If no one else is gonna say it, I'M GONNA!

40 DAYS UNTIL OUR ADVENTURE!!!!

(Note: This is a icon representation of our entire group. See if you can identify yourself.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #516
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

i have just updated the list in post # 1!

Please welcome welcome Dustin, Shaun, William and Craig to the Adventure!

I realize this smilie has nothing to do with anything, but I never get to use it...as I rarely post about laundry.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #517
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i have just updated the list in post # 1!

I realize this smilie has nothing to do with anything, but I never get to use it...as I rarely post about laundry.
oh man! I thought it meant that Dustin, Shaun, William, and Craig would be offering laundry services during our adventure.

Seriously though, welcome to the group guys!

It feels like the trip is just around the corner and so far away at the same time. It's nice to be able to say that we will be leaving next month though.

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #518
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
oh man! I thought it meant that Dustin, Shaun, William, and Craig would be offering laundry services during our adventure.
Maybe if you ask really nice.....
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #519
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel like we are going to be a part of an early episode of
"DIS Unplugged: The Next Generation"

Welcome guys! Looking forward to meeting you.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #520
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

I just saw the Disney Parks Blog posting about the new show coming to Disneyland, Mickey and the Magical Map. Has anyone else seen anything about it? I'm really looking forward to seeing it. It debuts on May 25th.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #521
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
I just saw the Disney Parks Blog posting about the new show coming to Disneyland, Mickey and the Magical Map. Has anyone else seen anything about it? I'm really looking forward to seeing it. It debuts on May 25th.
Yep. I did a blog about it last week and we talk about it on this week's Disneyland Podcast.

Blog: Sneak Peak-Mickey and the Magical Map

Podcast: DIS Unplugged 05/02/13 Disneyland Edition
(Listen to the Monstrous Summer show for the Magical Map discussion)
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #522
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
Yep. I did a blog about it last week and we talk about it on this week's Disneyland Podcast.
Tom - any chance we are going to get to meet you or any of the other Disneyland podcasters out on the trip? I haven't been listening to your show as much this year because I just haven't had the time. (I'm way behind on the WDW podcast too and have had to pick and choose the ones I listen to.) But I was lstening every week for close to a year leading up to our trip last summer and really enjoyed the show you, Nancy, Tony and Wayne put together each week.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #523
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post

Blog: Sneak Peak-Mickey and the Magical Map

Podcast: DIS Unplugged 05/02/13 Disneyland Edition
(Listen to the Monstrous Summer show for the Magical Map discussion)
Thanks, Tom! I just read the blog and am off to download the show now.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #524
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Tom - any chance we are going to get to meet you or any of the other Disneyland podcasters out on the trip? I haven't been listening to your show as much this year because I just haven't had the time. (I'm way behind on the WDW podcast too and have had to pick and choose the ones I listen to.) But I was lstening every week for close to a year leading up to our trip last summer and really enjoyed the show you, Nancy, Tony and Wayne put together each week.
I will be down there the weekend before for the Coasting for Kids event at Knott's and the weekend after...not sure about during your actual adventure.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #525
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Dustin, Shawn, William & Craig.
Would love to meet the Dis Unplugged DL team!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: