DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
bethy
DIS Veteran

I just returned from our second Aulani visit. I've been there with and without construction. I would say that you can have a wonderful experience at Aulani with the current level of construction there.

That said, it's not 100% either. How could it be with the sounds of construction in the background and parts of the pool deck closed off? I still think it's worth it. After travelling a lot with a family I have learned that the nearly "perfect" trip is a once in a decade experience. There are just too many variables that can go wrong. Especially with kids. This was the first trip in a very long time where nobody got sick, for example. We've just learned over time to get the joy where and when we can and not focus on any bad things.

So I guess I'd say that I wouldn't schedule a Once in a Lifetime Hawaiian vacation right now for this summer and only stay at Aulani the whole time. If you've already booked it, don't worry about the construction, if it's not a once in a lifetime trip, don't worry about the construction. If you are going to visit other resorts, locations and/or islands, don't worry about the construction.

One thing for sure - I would not rent a cabana by the main pool during this time because it backs right up to the construction zone. We always tried to sit as far away as possible - or even better - we sat on the beach. Also, there is no construction on Sunday - at least not when we were there.

More than the construction, our visits was impacted both times by the increase in crowds on the weekends. The weekdays were sooo peaceful and nice. I will schedule our outings and excursions for Sat and/or Sun next visit. However, we travel during the offseason and so it might be busy all week long during summer and school vacations.

We had a LOVELY stay.
Aloha!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #47
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970

They most certainly were not 82 degrees in November. My husband asked and it was in the low 70s.
We are here now. The pool water is extremely warm it feels like bath water and I'm a baby when it comes to being cold
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #48
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzsd View Post

We are here now. The pool water is extremely warm it feels like bath water and I'm a baby when it comes to being cold
Perhaps they have listened to the complaints and raised the temps? I know it is not due to the air temp...pretty much the same as when we were there in November. That is good news!

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #49
oktracy
Mouseketeer

Wonderful. My family and I were at Aulani September 2012. The cold pool water was one of my biggest gripes. I cannot wait to go back! I wish it was going to be a bit sooner. I am not planning on returning until August 2014. I hope the pool water is still warm then.
oktracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #50
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

It is definitely warmer in the afternoon than the morning but never cold so far. And like I said I'm usually one that has to take a good 10 minutes to "ease" myself in but not so far here- it's been quite pleasant
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #51
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

If you have teeneagers and are concerned about having only one bathroom (shower), I know it is not ideal, but keep the lounge in mind for showering. I thought the shower area was really nice. Down there for a shower, and back upstairs to do hair and make-up. The large mirror over the desk in the bedroom could be used like another vanity.

Again, not ideal but if it would make it easier on someone's family, I would keep it on mind.

We dream every single day of returning to Aulani, we LOVVVVED it!!!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #52
peacefrogdog
DIS Veteran

Which lounge is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
If you have teeneagers and are concerned about having only one bathroom (shower), I know it is not ideal, but keep the lounge in mind for showering. I thought the shower area was really nice. Down there for a shower, and back upstairs to do hair and make-up. The large mirror over the desk in the bedroom could be used like another vanity.

Again, not ideal but if it would make it easier on someone's family, I would keep it on mind.

We dream every single day of returning to Aulani, we LOVVVVED it!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #53
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrogdog View Post
Which lounge is this?
I think the prior poster is referring to the Luana Lounge, which is located next to the Pau Hana Community Hall on the first floor. The Luana Lounge is designed for guests who have late check-outs and early check-ins. It has TVs and chairs/couches, and a computer and printer that can be used to print out airline boarding passes. It has shower and dressing facilities for men and women and it has oversized lockers (free of charge) that can hold backpacks and other carry-on luggage.

The Luana Lounge is ideal for guests who have a late flight back to the mainland but still want to use Aulani's pools for a few more hours. The Luana Lounge even has a spin dry contraption that will get most (but not all) of the water out of your swimsuit.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #54
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Yes, that is the lounge to which I was referring. I think I recall there being shampoos and soaps in there and I they have very nice white, large towels, I think they are the same as the ones used at the pool.

Again, I know it is not ideal but certainly an option. It came to mind to suggest it after reading on the cruise board how many folks head down to the spa to shower rather than in their small stateroom.

Good luck everyone.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: