Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
sz9144
Mouseketeer
 
sz9144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 471

Sheraton vistana resort vs marriott cypress harbour?

Want to trade our time share week in Orlando for August. Debating between marriott cypress harbour and Sheraton vistana resort.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pools are very important, as is convenience of parking and children's activities.

Thanks!
sz9144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz9144 View Post
Want to trade our time share week in Orlando for August. Debating between marriott cypress harbour and Sheraton vistana resort.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pools are very important, as is convenience of parking and children's activities.

Thanks!
Both top notch properties. Cypress Harbour is a bit more adult/golf oriented and is spread out around the course. Vistana Resort is a more family friendly resort with lots of pools (7), large but easily walkable and secure. We're comfortable letting the kids roam at Vistana without getting lost. Lots of kids activities at Vistana as well - but I'm not as familiar with Cypress Harbour's programs.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

are you doing just Disney or other parks too?

if other parks then Marriott Cypress Harbour

otherwise it is just because Sheraton Vistana resort is closer to WDW - might go with them.

Marriott Cypress Harbour gets some great reviews vs the other marriott's
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
sz9144
Mouseketeer
 
sz9144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 471

Thanks
sz9144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
jeff968
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Trumbull CT
Posts: 1,260

Having stayed at both I will vote Cypress harbour hands down. It is a great resort, just the right size, configured well, and just beautiful. I'm not sure why the other poster mentioned golf. There is a golf course next to CH but you can't play it from CH. The only golf at CH is mini-golf. You can find that at the recreation center where everything is happening. They have activities for all ages including crafts for the little ones and sunrise Yoga for the adults. My son loved the remote control cars that they offered and you could race. 3 pool (including an adult quiet pool), a sanna, a beach, even fishing. It is a great resort. I give it an A-. We stayed at one of the newest section at the Vistana resort, the Cascades, and it was nice but I found the resort too large and some of the units are older (I believe the VR has the title of being the first Timeshare resort in Orlando). I give VR a B-. As for location, the other poster mentions that VR is closer to Disney which is technically true but that poster doesn't consider traffic. VR is on 535 and traveling west on 535 from the VR is now very challenging with the traffic being so bad. You can catch Rt 4 in just a couple of minutes coming out of CH and you'll never hit traffic so my experiences is that it will take you less time to get to Disney from CH then VR. Good luck.
__________________

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,270

I only mentioned golf because of the location inside a golf course:


Yes the course is actually part of the Marriott Grande Pines next door.

As I said, both are excellent resorts. But, I have only visited CH (and the visitees were adult golfers), never stayed there so my impression was a bit fleeting.

Note for Vistana that you wouldn't go west on 535 to reach Disney (or much of anything else). Disney is two quick right turns out of the main entrance of Vistana, no traffic, ever. Also note that Vistana has been completely renovated in the past couple of years, with the oldest buildings getting full "to the studs" upgrading; it is very well maintained by Sheraton.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
jeff968
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Trumbull CT
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Note for Vistana that you wouldn't go west on 535 to reach Disney (or much of anything else). Disney is two quick right turns out of the main entrance of Vistana, no traffic, ever.
I guess it depends what part of Disney you are talking about. If you are going to Downtown Disney you'll be taking a left and traveling west but if you are going to the parks then you can take rights and get on 536. the last few years 535 continues to get worse and we avoid it like the plague. With the VR located right on it I consider that one more reason to go with CH. IMHO.
__________________

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
I guess it depends what part of Disney you are talking about. If you are going to Downtown Disney you'll be taking a left and traveling west but if you are going to the parks then you can take rights and get on 536. the last few years 535 continues to get worse and we avoid it like the plague. With the VR located right on it I consider that one more reason to go with CH. IMHO.
3 right turns to get to DTD. Yes, it adds about 2 miles to the trip, but cuts 15 minutes at least usually. You are just approaching DTD from the other end and missing all the lights. We don't even go left (west) to get to I-4 unless traffic is very light, again two rights to 536 and hop on I-4 there. About the only reason to go that way would be if you wanted to hit a store directly at Crossroads, but we don't do that.

Looking forward to the new overpass to Prime Outlets/Vineland from Palm Parkway. Should cut a lot of traffic around 535/I4 crossing.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
3 right turns to get to DTD. Yes, it adds about 2 miles to the trip, but cuts 15 minutes at least usually. You are just approaching DTD from the other end and missing all the lights. We don't even go left (west) to get to I-4 unless traffic is very light, again two rights to 536 and hop on I-4 there. About the only reason to go that way would be if you wanted to hit a store directly at Crossroads, but we don't do that.

Looking forward to the new overpass to Prime Outlets/Vineland from Palm Parkway. Should cut a lot of traffic around 535/I4 crossing.
to get to the parks you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536 on world center - to Disney = this road becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4. as has been say.

to get to DD you turn left out of SVR on to 535 Apopka vineland road- go under I4 -then turn left at hotel plaza bvld - when this roads turns iinto buena vista drive you can turn into DD.

to get to any of the wdw parks I4 is not necessary from SVR.
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
to get to DD you turn left out of SVR on to 535 Apopka vineland road- go under I4 -then turn left at hotel plaza bvld - when this roads turns iinto buena vista drive you can turn into DD.
That's the shortest route (distance) but the longest route (time)

to get to DTD you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536/World Center Drive (becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4) then take the next exit after I4 to Buena Vista Drive and you are right at DTD's West side. A little longer drive (distance), a LOT less traffic, higher speed limit, and almost no lights. I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.

Here's a google map of the route. Note that SVR is A and DTD is B. The longer route shows as 2.5 miles longer, and 1 minute longer in time, but the upper route does not take into account the time wasted in traffic. The longer route has always been quicker for us (and more like 6-7 minutes than the listed 10 minutes).

__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,011

i timed it from the epcot parking lot to my parking spot at SVR and it only took 8 minutes driving time. one of the "welcome to disney" signs is right around the corner on 536.

it's a great location IMO.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.
Ditto. First time we were in Orlando, the GPS sent us in that direction, and we learned our lesson! World Center Drive is the way to go.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Detailor
DIS Veteran
 
Detailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
That's the shortest route (distance) but the longest route (time)

to get to DTD you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536/World Center Drive (becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4) then take the next exit after I4 to Buena Vista Drive and you are right at DTD's West side. A little longer drive (distance), a LOT less traffic, higher speed limit, and almost no lights. I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.

Here's a google map of the route. Note that SVR is A and DTD is B. The longer route shows as 2.5 miles longer, and 1 minute longer in time, but the upper route does not take into account the time wasted in traffic. The longer route has always been quicker for us (and more like 6-7 minutes than the listed 10 minutes).

I'm with you on this. It's much easier to take same route (turn right out of Vistana, turn right onto 536, then follow the signs after you pass under the Disney arch) to get to DTD or other Disney attraction) than it is to go left and up 535 to Hotel Plaza Blvd. When we stay at Cypress Harbour, we usually go over to Palm Parkway and down to DTD to avoid both I-4 and the congestion at the exit onto 535 at Lake Buena Vista (the Palm Parkway route comes from the opposite direction toward Hotel Plaza Blvd. and I think that's a bit easier).

As far as the two resorts are concerned, I think it depends on the needs and make-up of those traveling with you. Both are geared to childrens' activities. Both Marriott and Sheraton have terrific resort amenities and activities programs (some cost money to participate in at either resort). Both have several pools, though Vistana is larger so they have more of them. Parking at either resort is easy - parking areas at each of the resort buildings. If elevator access makes a difference, I think that some of the Vistana buildings don't have them, while some do (resort was built out over a long period of time with different developers handling different phases, so different designs). Cypress Harbour has elevators in all of their buildings. Both resorts are currently in terrific shape - Vistana has recently gone through a resort-wide refurbishment program; the Marriotts, in general, are at the top of the industry in continual renovation/refurbishment and Cypress Harbour is no exception. We prefer the atmosphere at Cypress Harbour to Vistana Resort (we actually prefer Vistana Villages to Vistana Resort as well, despite the same corporate ownership). For us, the resort intangibles make a Cypress Harbour vacation experience our favorite in the Orlando area. But if your vacation time will be spent mostly at theme parks, at restaurants, at shopping, etc., then it won't make much difference. Both are very nice resorts and you'll likely have a good experience at either.

Dick Taylor
__________________
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.