Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
cheyennestagram
Earning My Ears

How scary are Kraken and Manta?

I've never been on a coaster like Manta, where you're like, laying down. What is that like? And are there any other rides there?
cheyennestagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Big rides are Kraken, Manta, and Atlantis. Kraken is a big coaster but not a big thriller like some of the BG coasters. Now Manta is a good thrill ride. I totally loved it. After it gets going you don't even realize it and your adrenaline gets going. There was one spot where you go over some trees and oh man I thought we were going to hit them. Manta is a fun heart pounding ride. Atlantis is just a water ride just like splash mountain. You go through a story like scene and then the drop. Now my DD when she first got to ride there was one scene with a medusa like character and that freaked her out a bit but now she knows about it and is ready for it.
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Manta is one of a handful of flying coasters out there,it's very thrilling and fun,there's one section in the pretzel loop where the coaster puts some pretty heavy G's on your chest,that part and going up the lift hill looking down are the two biggest thrills on the ride,the rest of the ride is very fun just flying through all the sections.Kraken is my favorite coaster in Orlando,it feels like you're sitting on a Lay-Z-Boy at 60mph,the drop is great,the loops and rolls are great and for me is just a fun all around ride I can probably ride all day long.Manta on the other hand I will only ride a couple of times since I'm not a fan of the G's on the pretzel loop,it's still very fun.Atlantis is cool water flume with a surprise finish,very cool ride.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001
Manta is one of a handful of flying coasters out there,it's very thrilling and fun,there's one section in the pretzel loop where the coaster puts some pretty heavy G's on your chest,that part and going up the lift hill looking down are the two biggest thrills on the ride,the rest of the ride is very fun just flying through all the sections.Kraken is my favorite coaster in Orlando,it feels like you're sitting on a Lay-Z-Boy at 60mph,the drop is great,the loops and rolls are great and for me is just a fun all around ride I can probably ride all day long.Manta on the other hand I will only ride a couple of times since I'm not a fan of the G's on the pretzel loop,it's still very fun.Atlantis is cool water flume with a surprise finish,very cool ride.
I completely agree with everything you've wrote here. Kraken is my personal fave coaster, love it especially the cork screw bit midway through! The G force in that pretzel loop takes my breath away every single time, wish I had known about it before riding as I found it pretty extreme. Its definitely the most memorable part of the ride for me.

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

I loved Manta the first time I rode it (and I'm not a big coaster fan), but the second time we rode we got stuck about halfway through hanging facedown. Not fun and from what I've gathered it seems to happen a good bit. It was only for about 10 minutes, but we didn't know HOW long we might be hanging there and it was uncomfortable trying to hold our heads up. I just had to keep telling myself to stay calm so I wouldn't start to panic. And it seems like it's down a lot when we're there. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's something to think about. My DH has ridden it several more times (without incident) since that happened...alone.
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

momtotwoteens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

I'm looking forward to trying out Manta but I'm not sure about Krakken. I really dislike long drops when it seems like you'll never reach the bottom and your stomach is in your head! We'll do it because its our only chance to do these (only trip planned for this) but I'm so nervous and I don't want to chicken out.

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I loved Manta and looking foreward to trying the Kraken. I am not a huge coaster fan but Manta got me hooked.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

They are both awesome coasters. Be sure to ride at least once to not miss out.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

I liked Kraken a lot, which surprised me because I don't generally like floorless coasters much, but it is really smooth, and fairly tame, actually. Manta, on the other hand, is by far my favorite coaster ever! (To be fair it is the only flyer that I have ridden). I've ridden in every row on the coaster and love to ride it repeatedly. BEST position to me is the back, definitely that is the most thrilling. Front row is good and very smooth, but in the back it is almost like being whipped around the turns, definitely has the MOST G forces back there.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom
I liked Kraken a lot, which surprised me because I don't generally like floorless coasters much, but it is really smooth, and fairly tame, actually. Manta, on the other hand, is by far my favorite coaster ever! (To be fair it is the only flyer that I have ridden). I've ridden in every row on the coaster and love to ride it repeatedly. BEST position to me is the back, definitely that is the most thrilling. Front row is good and very smooth, but in the back it is almost like being whipped around the turns, definitely has the MOST G forces back there.
Kraken is not a floorless coaster. Manta is floorless.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
Kraken is not a floorless coaster. Manta is floorless.
Kraken is floorless now.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
jump00
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennestagram View Post
I've never been on a coaster like Manta, where you're like, laying down. What is that like? And are there any other rides there?
I was nervous about Manta too but when I saw a lovely Amish couple get on I thought I can handle this! lol The first loop is filled with a G-force that is totally unexpected! Weird feeling. But it was a great ride and we road it a few times. Kraken is one of my favorite rides (FJ is number 1) and I road it so many times - my family finally said enough!!!!

You will enjoy both. Have fun
jump00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria3

Kraken is floorless now.
Wow when did that happen?? Might have to give it another try. Might be a bit better now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: