Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
Because they know that there is going to be an accident or a broken down vehicle in the tunnel and they want to get out of there before they're stuck in traffic for 3 hours. One thing I do NOT miss about Hampton Roads is the traffic!
Amen!!! i used to live in VA Beach, and worked in Newport News and I remember watching the clock, praying they would let us out of there before 3. Any later and the HOV lanes were closed to the general public and my 45 minute commute would gain an hour. And my car didn't have A/C.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

My favorite is when some nutjob thinks they need to speed past you to prove a point then you pull up next to them at the next stop light. Except on longer stretches of highway, driving like a maniac doesn't really accomplish much in the way of saving time, and it's very dangerous.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
My favorite is when some nutjob thinks they need to speed past you to prove a point then you pull up next to them at the next stop light. Except on longer stretches of highway, driving like a maniac doesn't really accomplish much in the way of saving time, and it's very dangerous.
I usually WAVE at them when I get next to them!!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
Look, just stay in the right lane with all the other slowpokes and no one gets hurt, OK?

Seriously, I just think it's modern life. Folks sleep until the last possible minute and then race to get to work on time. In the afternoon, folks are racing from work to take Johnny to baseball practice, or to stop at the grocery to pick up food so they can race home and get dinner on the table, or they have to make a meeting and they're leaving late and have to rush to get there. Or to catch a flight. Or whatever. Everything's go-go-go.

And you can never discount the Idiot Factor, of course.
Yikes I will for sure keep in my own lane.

Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Sgt Mickey
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I freely admit to being a freeway speeder. I drive in the HOV lanes in the morning and the speed limit is 65 mph. I am regularly doing about 73 MPH. With that, I *still* have people trying to join me in my backseat or flying by me.

The things I won't do:

I never tailgate anyone and most certainly not anyone who is doing the speed limit. I just wait for my chance and go around them.

I never speed on local roads, especially through residential areas. This is where I get the WORST of tailgaters. Especially on Sunday morning. I live off a main road where the speed is 45MPH. It is normal for most everyone to do about 50MPH which is fine. On Sunday mornings, when I get out to do my grocery shopping, I have people routinely tailgating me and doing 60 MPH or higher. We have 3 churches on our road and they are always turning into them. It really makes me angry. There are people out on the sidewalks of these roads walking dogs, exercising, etc. At those speeds, on those roads, it's easy to lose control and then hit someone.
I hear constantly on the news someone in VA beach or Norfolk being hit by a car. I see why.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
Because they know that there is going to be an accident or a broken down vehicle in the tunnel and they want to get out of there before they're stuck in traffic for 3 hours. One thing I do NOT miss about Hampton Roads is the traffic!
Yes but if they weren't the ones causing the accidents we wouldn't be stuck
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
What's the excuse for the slowpokes?

I'm ALWAYS in a hurry!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
OP, you were doing 70 in a 55 in the rain and people were passing you??

Be glad you live where you do, and not where I live. People here pretty much obey the speed limits, in part because of the strict enforcement of the law.

I guess I'm conditioned by living here, but I'd never think to go 15+ over the speed limit, especially in the rain. Wouldn't be worth the expensive speeding ticket that I'd eventually receive.
I was keeping up with traffic. SO can you imagine how much more over everyone passing me was going
Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
Sgt Mickey, you were driving 70 in the slow lane on 64 heading to the HRBT? IN THE RAIN? WHAT? I have never heard of that happening. Ever. What time was that? I'm in awe of your road warrior skills, but have no explanation as to why the myriad folks around you are homicidal maniacs. Maybe it's just the whole tunnel thing. Maybe it's just knowing that hell-bent-for-leather can swiftly change to slugs-move-faster on I-64 and they're hoping they can circumvent it. I'm usually in a hurry because I put off my commute--not through the tunnel but bad enough--until the last possible second. I'm not maniacal in my driving behavior, just my vocalizations.
WELLLL it was like 7:30-8:00 am so I know a lot of other people were in on their way to work as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
and that is the truth
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post
Because we sometimes forget to stop and smell the roses
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up. I on the other hand have never driven faster than the posted speed limit
I think that's the answer. At least in my case, though I don't really speed (more than a couple of miles over the limit).

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
ALLL the time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I usually WAVE at them when I get next to them!!
I usually say to them...to myself but I imagine they can hear me. Glad you made it to that last SOOOO much faster then I did.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
ALLL the time here

I usually say to them...to myself but I imagine they can hear me. Glad you made it to that last SOOOO much faster then I did.
I always think....I just got better gas mileage than you did the last mile from light to light.

My car is a slow speeder upper. I don't go to the 3,000RPM's (I think that is what it is called), I don't go over 2,000. I have learned the hard way that speeding up fast kills the gas mileage. And with gas hitting $4.00 again...I am doing anything I can to save.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
I always think....I just got better gas mileage than you did the last mile from light to light.

good point

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: