Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
DaddyMickey
Earning My Ears

Moderate hotel w/ a 2 year old and an infant

Heading back to wdw in September. As a kid I stayed at the Grand Flo and the Polynesian b/c I wasn't paying! Stayed at All Stars with the wife and kid last October and this past May. Considering going back if they do free dining in September. I was thinking about staying at a moderate resort. Question for parents out there. Which one would you prefer for young kids(and their parents)? I've read reviews online that say that certain resorts are very large and require too much walking? Just looking for some advice. Thanks.
DaddyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

The only moderates I've stayed in are POFQ and CSR, and would stay at either with a toddler and infant. We always do a GardenGrocer order and have breakfast food and snacks in the room, so being a short walk to the counter service location isn't important for us.

My toddler happens to love riding on boats, so POFQ might win out since he would get a kick out of riding the boat to DTD and back.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

I would choose any of the moderates, however, here are some suggestions!

POFQ: Great resort, the smallest (by far) of any of the mods. No room is far from anything. The pool slide is short and ideal for young kids.

CBR: Book a preferred room and you will be very close to the food court and main pool. You will also be close to a quiet pool and bus stop. In fact, all rooms at CBR are close to a quiet pool and bus stop however the non preferred rooms can be a hike to the food court and main pool. Also request a first floor room, there are no elevators at CBR. CBR also has the best pool on property for young kids. Zero entry, small toddler slides and a height restricted splash zone for little kids.

POR: You can book a preferred room and be close to the main area. Be aware preferred rooms at POR are all in the Alligator Bayou section and none of those buildings have elevators so again, request a first floor room. Non preferred rooms can be 10 or more minutes to the main area but like CBR all rooms at POR are close to a quiet pool and bus stop.

CSR: A preferred room at CSR will put you close to El Centro which is the check in area and food court/main restaurant. However, those rooms are not that close to the main pool. However, you will have a quiet pool in the preferred section as well as a bus stop.

Of all the mods choices, I highly recommend POFQ due to its small size or CBR preferred. You'll walk less and both have pools that are great for young kids.

CBR rooms are the largest but they have double beds not queens. But that little bit extra space is good for strollers and pack n plays!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

We have done POR and we loved it, little one was 2 then, it was a great resort for children. Idk about all the resorts, but two things I loved about POR, one was the quiet pool and the laundry are right next to each other and it was great to put laundry in, go swimming, have bigger girls watch baby for a minute, change laundry and go back swimming, did not have to waste time doing the laundry and missing out. Second was the pool showers, the room was small, but I was able to wash little one in pool shower after swimming, even the bigger girls stepped in the pool shower, saving tons of bathroom time. We tried to find the shower at pofq the day we swam there, and maybe because I did not have a map, put we did not find it, others may say their is one, but I am legally blind and I could not find it. That is another big plus for POR or pofq, you get two pools for the price of one, you are allowed to take the little boat down to pofq and use there pool, it is so fast. We also liked being able to go to,pofq so easily, because the kids like the fried donuts things, so on the way back from the parks, we would stop at pofq get donuts for breakfast, and take a boat or a bus back to POR, for a breakfast in the room. I would definately pay the money for a prefered room at POR.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
DaddyMickey
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the advice.
DaddyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
DisneyElite4
Mouseketeer

Another vote for POFQ! This is where I would stay if I were doing a moderate with my DS. The smallest moderate, great little food court, recently refurbished rooms, beautiful grounds, boat ride to DTD, good bus service and an excellently themed pool and playground area. Also, you just can't beat the fresh, warm beignets every morning!

My second choice would be POR. It's much larger, but again, you can book a preferred room to be close to the main facilities. The grounds are beautiful, and the food court here is my favorite of any on property. There is so much to choose from! The bus service isn't the best, but it's decent enough.

August 2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ October 2006: Beach Club ~ November 2006: Walt Disney World Swan Hotel ~ February 2007: Boardwalk Resort ~ March 2007: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ April 2007: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ August 2007: Old Key West Resort ~ September 2007: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ February 2008: All Star Movies ~ March 2008: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ April 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ July 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ November 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter ~ April 2009: Port Orleans French Quarter ~ June 2009: Disney Wedding/Grand Floridian Resort ~ March 2010: Pop Century Resort ~ August 2010: Royal Pacific Resort ~ October 2010: Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village ~ June 2011: Grand Californian Resort ~ October 2011: Old Key West Resort ~ December 2013: Wilderness Lodge Villas
DisneyElite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Here is my list for children that age
POFQ - Smallest WDW resort easy to get to everything and you can go over to POR
POR -
CBR - Big plus is zero entry pool but only has full size beds
CSR

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Another vote for POFQ. Great resort for families with young children. It also has a boat ride to DTD and POR.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

We like POR - I always ask for the Magnolia Bend and I try and ask to be near Acadian 8042 or 8036. It is close to a bridge that crosses to the pool and it is very quiet.

CSR - This is spread out, but we requsted Ranchos and were close to the pool and had a room that overlooked the small "quiet" pool. Loved it!!
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: