Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Really why is everyone in such a hurry

I was driving to work yesterday. I drive to Norfolk so I have to use the Hampton Bridge Tunnel. It is a 55. It was raining and I was still doing about 70 and I am getting passed like I am Grandma out for a sunday drive AND YES I was in the right lane not the left!!!! BUT really why is everyone in such a hurry. ALL THE TIME!!!!
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
I was driving to work yesterday. I drive to Norfolk so I have to use the Hampton Bridge Tunnel. It is a 55. It was raining and I was still doing about 70 and I am getting passed like I am Grandma out for a sunday drive AND YES I was in the right lane not the left!!!! BUT really why is everyone in such a hurry. ALL THE TIME!!!!
Because we sometimes forget to stop and smell the roses
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up. I on the other hand have never driven faster than the posted speed limit

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Sgt Mickey
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post
Because we sometimes forget to stop and smell the roses
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up. I on the other hand have never driven faster than the posted speed limit
I think if I actually did the speed limit around here someone would think my car was broke down on the side of the road
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Because driving fast is fun.

I'm only half serious. I do somewhat think that our vehicles are getting so nice that it's difficult not to drive fast. The cars I used to drive back in the day would have been falling apart at 70 mph. Today's vehicles handle that, and much more, very smoothly.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post

I'm only half serious. I do somewhat think that our vehicles are getting so nice that it's difficult not to drive fast. The cars I used to drive back in the day would have been falling apart at 70 mph. Today's vehicles handle that, and much more, very smoothly.
I have drove on the autobahn I can agree driving fast is fun. BUT these people are CRAZY they are angry they don't look like they are having fun.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
I have drove on the autobahn I can agree driving fast is fun. BUT these people are CRAZY they are angry they don't look like they are having fun.
THAT I don't understand, I agree with you. The anger and competitiveness on the roads anymore is ridiculous. It's not so much that people want to get there fast, they want to get there FIRST. Nuts.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
THAT I don't understand, I agree with you. The anger and competitiveness on the roads anymore is ridiculous. It's not so much that people want to get there fast, they want to get there FIRST. Nuts.
YES absolutely.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Look, just stay in the right lane with all the other slowpokes and no one gets hurt, OK?

Seriously, I just think it's modern life. Folks sleep until the last possible minute and then race to get to work on time. In the afternoon, folks are racing from work to take Johnny to baseball practice, or to stop at the grocery to pick up food so they can race home and get dinner on the table, or they have to make a meeting and they're leaving late and have to rush to get there. Or to catch a flight. Or whatever. Everything's go-go-go.

And you can never discount the Idiot Factor, of course.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I freely admit to being a freeway speeder. I drive in the HOV lanes in the morning and the speed limit is 65 mph. I am regularly doing about 73 MPH. With that, I *still* have people trying to join me in my backseat or flying by me.

The things I won't do:

I never tailgate anyone and most certainly not anyone who is doing the speed limit. I just wait for my chance and go around them.

I never speed on local roads, especially through residential areas. This is where I get the WORST of tailgaters. Especially on Sunday morning. I live off a main road where the speed is 45MPH. It is normal for most everyone to do about 50MPH which is fine. On Sunday mornings, when I get out to do my grocery shopping, I have people routinely tailgating me and doing 60 MPH or higher. We have 3 churches on our road and they are always turning into them. It really makes me angry. There are people out on the sidewalks of these roads walking dogs, exercising, etc. At those speeds, on those roads, it's easy to lose control and then hit someone.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I drive fast, and I have a bit of road rage. Even if im not in a hurry, im in a hurry. I just dont know how to slow down.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Because they know that there is going to be an accident or a broken down vehicle in the tunnel and they want to get out of there before they're stuck in traffic for 3 hours. One thing I do NOT miss about Hampton Roads is the traffic!
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

What's the excuse for the slowpokes?

I'm ALWAYS in a hurry!

Robinrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

OP, you were doing 70 in a 55 in the rain and people were passing you??

Be glad you live where you do, and not where I live. People here pretty much obey the speed limits, in part because of the strict enforcement of the law.

I guess I'm conditioned by living here, but I'd never think to go 15+ over the speed limit, especially in the rain. Wouldn't be worth the expensive speeding ticket that I'd eventually receive.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Mokat76
DisKat

Sgt Mickey, you were driving 70 in the slow lane on 64 heading to the HRBT? IN THE RAIN? WHAT? I have never heard of that happening. Ever. What time was that? I'm in awe of your road warrior skills, but have no explanation as to why the myriad folks around you are homicidal maniacs. Maybe it's just the whole tunnel thing. Maybe it's just knowing that hell-bent-for-leather can swiftly change to slugs-move-faster on I-64 and they're hoping they can circumvent it. I'm usually in a hurry because I put off my commute--not through the tunnel but bad enough--until the last possible second. I'm not maniacal in my driving behavior, just my vocalizations.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: