Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #91
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I was just there this past weekend. No issues.

Wonder why the lady who had hotel employees walk in three days in a row while she was in the shower didn't put the bolt on the door or use the privacy sign.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #92
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at POP many times. My standard protocol when I first step into a hotel room is to wipe every surface with Lysol or Clorox wipes. I even do the inside of the dresser drawers/handles. When I first stayed at Pop I was expecting some dust as I just for fun ran the wipe across the top of the TV/dresser armoire. NOT A SPECK. It was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. Subsequent stays at Pop have had similar results.
If I got a room as bad as some of the ones I have read about here, I would be speaking with a manager and moving rooms or resorts.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #93
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I just got done "doing the math" in my budget spreadsheet for Deluxe vs Value vs offsite and came up with POP being my best bet, even for kidless middle aged folk such as ourselves. I read through the posts and I feel content with my decision. You can have a poor experience almost anywhere. I will speak up if something is totally ruining my experience. I'm glad most posters were satisfied with their stay. Whew! I was worried for a minute there.
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #94
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I just got done "doing the math" in my budget spreadsheet for Deluxe vs Value vs offsite and came up with POP being my best bet, even for kidless middle aged folk such as ourselves. I read through the posts and I feel content with my decision. You can have a poor experience almost anywhere. I will speak up if something is totally ruining my experience. I'm glad most posters were satisfied with their stay. Whew! I was worried for a minute there.

I think you'll like it! I've stayed at 3 of the mods as well as AKL and WL. While I love staying at those levels, I also love POP. Its bright and fun with cool period music playing throughout the resort. Its close to AOA, so you can take either bus back. The food court is not bad - actually better than WL and AKL with many more choices. And its definitely affordable .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #95
ricosuave
Mouseketeer

We're at pop and I love it. Rooms (we have 2) were spotless! We have preferred rooms in 60's area building 5- (5106 and 5107) in front of the closed down kiddie area. Slept great. Not noisy at all and super close to lobby. We will def stay here again!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #96
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you can stay longer by going to Pop then i would go that direction also. Just check in as early as possible and check out your room as soon as you can. Seriously, there are like 4 million rooms at Pop (not really but you get the point). Stuff does slip though. If money is an issue try all stars they are a couple dollars cheaper and the rooms are nearly identical. Have a great trip.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #97
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

We used to be POP lovers too up until about 2 years ago and no way would you pay me to stay in it now. The final straw was the last time we stayed...I about killed myself slipping on the mess of food all over the food court floor, there was never any ice for cold drinks ( it was laying all over the floor) , kids would just run about wild and loud and I mean everywhere!!!, the drinks station was just a complete mess, there was never any hot chocolate it was always out, never any condiments ( everyone stole them)yes we seen a few people fill their bags with them!!!, the pool area was not clean, housekeeping was terrible, each night we came back to just the top cover been pulled over and the bed not made underneath and like a previous poster said, the managers could not care less. We have a pool at home so we know how clean a pool should be and we were definitely hesitant a few days to put our kids in the hippy dippy pool for the trash that was at the bottom of it. Just our personal experience.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
pktbMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #98
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Staying at POP will allow us to stay onsite which is important to me. The rental car would eliminate the offsite savings. We will be staying in October so it shouldn't be as busy. We tend to maximize park time and I just discussed it with BF and he will forgo the hot tubs. He was pretty ticked off last time we went and stayed at BC. We specifically did a Deluxe for these types of amenities and the hot tubs (well three of them anyway) weren't up to temperature because they were "waiting for a part" according to maintenance. So, I guess part of the reason for the step down in resort is because BC did not live up to expectations for a Deluxe and would be almost 3X as much money.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #99
KBW
Mouseketeer

I think a lot depends in what is important to you. Regardless of where i am traveling, most important thing is a clean room and comfy bed. Also, location and/or transportation. That being said, we stayed at Pop in Dec 2010. it had rave reviews, didn't share buses with any other resorts, and it had just been renovated. When we arrived, I thought the CMs were great, and the room was very clean. Mousekeeping also did a very good job during our entire stay. BUT, the bed was SO uncomfortable, and the bus service was the worst (by far) that we'd ever experienced (compared to ASMo, AKL, CSR)...Usually 45+ min just to get on a bus. Didn't matter time of day or going to or from a park. So, 2 strikes out of 3 for us. Also, walls are paper thin. Literally, I could hear the conversation in the next room and the kid splashing around in the bath tub. I could have over looked the thin walls if everything else worked for us, but...we won't be staying there again.
KBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #100
kimk2230
Mouseketeer

We are at POP now. Staying in the 50's section, lake view building 2. Very quiet, clean room. We have had no issues with our room. Very clean and friendly staff.
kimk2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #101
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor

If you can stay longer by going to Pop then i would go that direction also. Just check in as early as possible and check out your room as soon as you can. Seriously, there are like 4 million rooms at Pop (not really but you get the point). Stuff does slip though. If money is an issue try all stars they are a couple dollars cheaper and the rooms are nearly identical. Have a great trip.
2,880 rooms to be exact!!
72 rooms per floor, 4 floors per bldg. = 288 rooms X 10 bldgs. (Max occupancy is 11,220 - this does not account for infants qualified to sleep in pack & plays)
When POP Century opened it was the 10th largest hotel in the US and the 27th largest in the world.
Just in case you wanted to know....LOL!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #102
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at everything from a Motel 6 to a 5 star in Florence Italy. Every vacation comes with different expectations. Clean and habitable are the minimum. If the POP is not that, I'll voice my opinions. As for quiet, I sleep with earplugs all the time because I can't stand background noise of any kind including traffic. At BC we had hallway noise that bothered me so I wore them. Perhaps a room NOT facing a pool area would be good. It's Disney, there will be kids and there will be people and I will be prepared.

I am giving it a shot for the kind of off-season but lacking the proximity to F&W...we will see if my BF begs for a Deluxe in the Epcot area again. I am game, I'm in the Disney Bubble.

I doubt it will be my last trip to the world so I am up for an experiment.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #103
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Staying at POP will allow us to stay onsite which is important to me. The rental car would eliminate the offsite savings.
You'll will be fine. Also remember you can rent a car from many different rental companies in DTD. So if you find you have a need for a day or two you can take the bus into DTD and pick it up. You can also pick up the local Lynx city bus and take it to the local walmart. I think you have to get the Lynx at the TTC. Don't know on that one...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #104
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I have to ask- why were you just hinting around? Why didn't you just tell him that the maintenance/room condition problems were unacceptable and you demanded to me moved to another room?
My thoughts exactly! WHY didn't you take care of the issues at the front desk? The way I know Pop - they would have had maintenance there within 20 minutes. They cannot fix something they don't know about.

As far as trash not being emptied - calling the front desk would have taken care of that situation also.

Pop management doesn't stay in all of the rooms. If there are problems - tell THEM! Complaints "after the fact" cannot be fixed. We are actually doing the front desk a favor when complaining about maintenance or housekeeping issues at any resort. It gives them the opportunity to make it right.

We love Pop! I hope you have better luck next time. Mickey doesn't want you to be upset!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: