Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #91
Dusti1960
Earning My Ears

I would like it. Its something I can use.
Dusti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #92
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I would be happy if it's a specialty item that I specifically requested. I like practical things, if they are fancier than just normal household items. I was not thrilled when DH gave me oven mitts but actually love them now. They are really thick and I don't burn my hands at all. So he did put some thought in there though it was a little disappointing at the time.

He has also given me jewelry in the past and I love what he gave me. He knows I don't need anymore and prefer decorating things or items for the house now.

I am planning to pick out a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas and he can give me that. I will be thrilled because I have been eyeing them for some time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #93
FLCyndi
Mouseketeer

I would live it!
FLCyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #94
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

DH bought me a coffee maker for Christmas one year.

In his defense, on Christmas Eve morning, my old one bit the dust. I was not going to even attempt to go shopping--I was just going to bite the bullet for a couple of days and live without the nectar of the gods.

DH braved the stores on Christmas Eve (after getting off work) to find me a coffee maker. Got me a very nice one too--brewed into a carafe that kept the coffee warm for about 6 hours!

He also bought me a diamond necklace. He scored very high on the husband scale that morning!

Edited to add: Year before last, I got a washer and dryer for Christmas (although early, one in October, one in November). Old dryer bit the dust in Oct, washer was about there come black Friday. Very nice pair too.

I'm not his mom, so he shouldn't give me anything for Mother's day. That's my kids job. He has to do something for his mom (and on his own too---he's a grown man and can handle things himself). I would do something for my mom, but she's been gone for over 30 years now. Neither one of us has a dad (his bio dad left before he was born, stepdad left when he was about 12 and never looked back, mine passed on almost 7 years ago), so the only thing that happens on Father's day is what the kids do for him.

Last edited by Jedana; 04-30-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #95
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I was thrilled when I got a Dyson for our anniversary to replace the Hoover canister vac that had duct tape on its hose and was about 10 years old.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
Future trips on hold due to DS8's leukemia diagnosis

Me (43) DH (40) DS (8) DD (8)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #96
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
A friend of mine posted a pic on Facebook of the new vacuum her DH had bought her for Mother's Day. I was raised in a home, where if my Dad had given my Mom housewares he would have slept outside. Housewares were not a gift, they were a purchase that was made for the home. My DH would never by me a vacuum as a gift.

I must admit, that when I saw the pic of the vacuum, I thought to myself, "How awful" but I dare not post . My mother on the other hand is now 80 and has lost much of her filter. Apparently, she's FB friends with my friend. She posted exactly what she thought of that vacuum! While I agreed with my Mom's sentiment, I had to cringe when I saw her post.

But what did your friend think of it? You haven't said.

And how did your friend react to your mom's feelings?

How the friend thought of it is the ONLY thing that matters when it comes to presents given to HER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I wish I could read what your mom posted! As far as I'm concerned, an 80 year old can say whatever they please.
Yikes! Come on over here, meet my MIL. Spend some time with her and see if you really feel that way anymore. Second time she met me, first words: "you got so fat! How'd you get so fat???? I barely recognize you you got so fat!" I'd gained maybe 10 lbs.

I live in condo building that's an unofficial retirement building. My next door neighbor is nearing 100. I am SO glad that I've gotten to live here, gotten to know people of advanced age in this way, to see that they are all humans, and some are kind, some are weird, some are ruder than others (no one here, actually, pretty much talking about my MIL again), etc etc. No one is allowed to say whatever they want just b/c of age, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
How would I feel about it? I would be wondering why my husband is buying me a Mother's Day gift when I'm not his mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I have sons, so we've been very careful to make sure they know that I'm unusual in my gift aversion!
Definitely good to make sure that they understand that everyone is different. DH and I have had definite growing pains as he gets rid of the voice of his mother, who believes that jewelry is the answer to it all and that any woman who says otherwise is lying and a man will "get in trouble" if he doesn't give jewelry. Caused problems even from our engagement, since I had my grandma's ring that I wanted to wear and he insisted over all of my protests and explanations that that could not happen. Engagement-ring-Gate ensued.

Took years to get him to stop buying me dead flowers (aka bouquets). If I want that, I'll buy it. People talk about a vacuum meaning more work for the recipient? Bouquets are the worst! Constant maintenance, a need for vases (or a place for vases if the flowers come in them), those become something to dust (or think about dusting), and soon enough the flowers turn rank and it all must be cleaned. Second worst thing I've ever smelled were beyond-dead Peonies in a vase. But I got smart and had DH-then-fiance clean that up. Helped to cure him of the flower thing!

It's important to know the person you're in the relationship with, and let ALL OTHER peoples' opinions go by the wayside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
er.

The point of a gift IMO is to get something that you know the receiver is going to love.
Exactly.

Quote:
Just wondering why those who say they want practical gifts like housewares think that other gift are dust collectors or wasteful. My Dh takes me shopping to pick out clothes, or sends me away for a girls weekend, etc. These are things I would never do for myself. (When we met, I was 24 and was still wearing clothes I owned in HS, not cause I didn't have money, but because I just never shop for myself.). He reminds me that I need to be pampered on occasion.
Because that's what they think of.

You think of clothing and vacations as gifts, because that's what you have received and what you like. I know of no IRL friends that would EVER consider clothing to be a gift.

A year ago, buying me clothing would have been dreadful. Shopping trips used to turn me into a sobbing mess. (see weight loss ticker in my sig for why I don't cry anymore while buying clothes) If I bought clothes for my husband for a gift, it would be horrible. It would ruin the day, just destroy it for him, because he still hates his body size and the clothes he has to get.

We've done trips as birthday gifts, but many people don't. It's all based on what you experience. And what most people think of as gifts.

Quote:
It's not that I don't like vacuums, they serve a great purpose. I just think the idea of giving your wife a vacuum as a present is kind of insulting. The vacuum is for the entire household's benefit, it's not really for the recipient.
But if the reality in your household is that one person does the vacuuming, and the vacuum is picked out with that person in mind, then it isn't just for the household. In my household, 99% of the time I'm the one vacuuming. I like it. And honestly I'd like a good vacuum. I'm never going to buy one; I'll keep buying the cheapies every few years. OK maybe if we ever get a dog I'll get a nicer one, but not until then. A nice vacuum that fits ME would be lovely, and while the household can enjoy the cleaner floors and less sneezing from me b/c of less dust in the house, the actual item IS going to be used by me, and therefore it is "for" me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I can't imagine anything being "insulting" as a gift. That is insulting in my book. "Gee hon, I know you thought you were doing something nice but that isn't good enough for me."
I see it differently. To me, it's more insulting than to dislike something you're given and not speak up. I would HATE to find out that someone disliked a present I gave them, but kept it and never used it. Talk about a waste of money! Return it, let me return it, let's get something you like. It's not insulting to me to be told "that wasn't quite right, I'd really love xyz instead".

This has also taken DH time to get used to, because he was always *told* in his house growing up that you could say that about a gift, but what would result was a day of guilt from his mother and yelling from his father. He learned to suck it up. With me, that doesn't fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
Last night he surprised me by cashing in his change at the coinstar and getting me gift cards to all 3 places!
That is so adorable!

Quote:
What is with everyone thinking that not wanting housewares as a gift means that you are not practical, or that you want Jewlery and Flowers?

I don't think buying something for the house is a gift. I also don't wear Jewlery, don't want flowers, and don't eat candy.

Buy me something for me. Last year DH sent me to WDW for my 40th birthday I had a few days solo (Heaven!) and then him and the kids met me for the last few days. Best gift I ever recieved.
Because that is what people think of. They think of it because they think of it.

I spent my 40th at Disneyland, but with my family. To do a solo trip for it, for me, wouldn't have been much fun. What works for you doesn't work for others.

And what mght have worked for your friend who got the vacuum (though I'm not sure you posted if it did work for her) doesn't work for you. Assuming your friend liked the vacuum, aren't you glad she has HER husband and you have YOURS?

Lastly, DH's birthday present this year was a Keurig coffee maker. He was ECSTATIC. Got him the Platinum version, too. I've never seen him so happy over a gift.

Last year Mother's Day my son (and hubby) bought me a Polar heart rate monitor, which I was VERY happy about.

It's all so personal, what we like and hate!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #97
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Ok....ok...I guess to each his own, just was drilled into me from an early age that appliances were not gift. And I need to make clear that I hear you on the clothes, the year DH took me shopping it was because I had lost 75 lbs and was still wearing 24 when I should have been in14's. I also don't want flowers, jewelry or candy, so I guess I'm a pain to buy for. Lol.

But this whole thread has brought up a new question. Many of you have stated that you don't expect to be acknowledged by DH on Mother's Day. Maybe my Mom was a prima Donna and I never realized, but my dad always acknowledged her as the mother of his children. My DH in turn does the same with me. I mean I'm not talking a high priced vacuum or anything (tongue in cheek)....but he at least takes care of the kids that day so I can relax, and he makes sure that I don't have to cook by either taking me out or making a nice meal. And let's face it, any gifts I get from the kids were either made under his supervision, or purchased with his money.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #98
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I would love a practical gift for any holiday. I am really not one for collecting a lot of material posessions (the one thing I love spending money on is travel), so I am very happy to get practical gifts I will actually use.

I could go my whole life without getting another candle or soap. Well, scratch that, the soap is welcome because I actually use it.

Regarding DH recognizing his wife on Mother's Day, yes I would expect that. Especially if the children are small and don't have their own money or can't go shopping on their own. Heck, my baby is still in the womb and DH has already asked me what I'd like to do on Mother's Day and also for some gift ideas.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #99
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

As un-romantic as it may seem, both my DH and I often get each other presents for Christmas, birthdays, etc. that will be useful to the whole house.

It's a joint effort, so that we can save our $$$ for MORE DISNEY!!!
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #100
almburr
DIS Veteran

If DH gave me a toaster then he would be in the dog house. But if he gave me a professional knives, and cookware he would be thanked very well!

Everybody is different in what they think is an ideal gift. I love cookware and fitness equipment, Dh knows that these are the things I drool over.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #101
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Funny, isn't it, how often men get power tools as gifts and just love them?
(Confession: I *love* power tools, and DH doesn't have a clue how to use them. All of the power tools in our house belong to me.)

DH? He likes electronics as gifts. While I like the occasional electronic gadget, widgets for my Dremel are like the very best chocolate, but a lot less fattening.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #102
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

I have no problem getting appliances as a gift. One of my favorite gifts was a Kitchen Aid mixer that I got for Christmas from DH a few years ago.

If I had never made any mention of wanting or needing a new vacuum cleaner and it just showed up I might think "What's he trying to say, that I need to clean more?" But if he knew I wanted it or it was an upgraded splurge item I'd love it. I have my eye on a new set of cookware that I don't need but would like to have.

We often buy presents that are useful for everyone. I got him a Keurig for his birthday cause he kept talking about wanting one. I use it every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C. View Post
I'm not husbands mother I don't expect him to buy me anything. So i'm in the group of it would be fine!
I actually agree with this. I don't expect anything from my husband on Mother's Day. Now, since our kids are still young anything they do for me is pretty much through him, but I'm not his mother.

Last edited by Dallas_Lady; 05-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #103
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

This whole thing is too funny. I'd be fine with a vacuum or any appliance for that matter. But then, I buy myself my own gifts. Always have, always will. No one in the whole family is as good a shopper as I am. I save the most, track down the best deals, etc. Everyone knows and comes to me for deals, whether selecting a power supplier or buying a steam cleaner.

Anyway, for mother's day, I got me two Pandora beads (during the free bracket promo; saving the bracelet for DD's Christmas gift). I also got a Mom frame from Hallmark using a coupon, and made the picture to go inside. Kids will make me crafts, we will go out to eat, and hopefully spend the day as a family. I don't expect anything from DH other than a card (which I also made for free).
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #104
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Ok....ok...I guess to each his own, just was drilled into me from an early age that appliances were not gift. And I need to make clear that I hear you on the clothes, the year DH took me shopping it was because I had lost 75 lbs and was still wearing 24 when I should have been in14's. I also don't want flowers, jewelry or candy, so I guess I'm a pain to buy for. Lol.

But this whole thread has brought up a new question. Many of you have stated that you don't expect to be acknowledged by DH on Mother's Day. Maybe my Mom was a prima Donna and I never realized, but my dad always acknowledged her as the mother of his children. My DH in turn does the same with me. I mean I'm not talking a high priced vacuum or anything (tongue in cheek)....but he at least takes care of the kids that day so I can relax, and he makes sure that I don't have to cook by either taking me out or making a nice meal. And let's face it, any gifts I get from the kids were either made under his supervision, or purchased with his money.
My husband will have the kids make me a card, and wish me a Happy Mother's Day. But, everything else - taking care of the kids, cooking, etc...is stuff he does every day, so....him continuing to do so on Mother's Day isn't a "big deal". If it's my dishes day, I could probably ask him to do it and he would.

Like I said prior, the kids will give me a back rub, and that's all I ask for. My kids are what make me a able to celebrate Mother's Day - so the last thing I would want to do is be away from them....be it at a spa, time alone, or just chilling on the couch. No thank you!
Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #105
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I'd love it...my husband has refused to replace our awful vacuum for four years! Still awful! We love gadgets of all kinds though... one xmas we gave each other a treadmill, and he got a fitbit for his birthday. The things we need will always be very much appreciated the same as the things we want.
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: