Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
LibrarianBecky
Mouseketeer

One night for MNSSHP...then drive to Miami--where to stay?

I'm trying to convince my husband that it would be a good idea to extend our October cruise by flying into Orlando instead of Miami the day before the cruise and going to MNSSHP. We would rent a car at the airport and use it to drive ourselves to the Port of Miami on Saturday morning. I"m not sure that we would stay until midnight at MNSSHP, but that is possible. We would probably need to be up by 7:00 a.m. and be on the road for Miami.

Given that set of circumstances, where would be a good, inexpensive (under $100) hotel to stay at in Orlando?

Our first trip was September 2011--wonderful trip, very magical
LibrarianBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Disney845
is there a tag fairy epidemic in progress?
I swear to tell the truth...the whole truth...and nothing but the truth!
Loves to shop!

I know you are not asking for opinions on your decision to fly into MCO instead of MIA to do MNSSHP, but I really have to say that I do not think this is a great idea.

We live close to the Disney Vero Beach resort, (so more than 1hr closer to Miami than Orlando is) and we have family in the Miami area and HATE the drive.

From Disney World to the Port of Miami you have really 3 main driving options, you could take 528 (across to Cocoa) or 192 (across to Melbourne) then head south on I-95 or you could take the turnpike. Any of these options will put you at approximately 4 (or more) hours drive time. Once you reach south of the West Palm area you may hit a lot of traffic (the turnpike generally less so than I-95).

I don't think that it would be very enjoyable to fly in, then head over to MNSSHP, leave there early so you could get some sleep, then get up early just to battle 4+ hours of traffic. I think it would be fairly expensive (rental car, hotel, maybe parking?, MNSSHP tickets, gas, possibly tolls depending on route) for a stressful night/morning and only a few hours at MNSSHP.

Ok, off soap box.

If you are set on this course of events, I would suggest a Disney value hotel due to the proximity to the MK and the limiting of wasting additional time driving to/from the park.
WDW On Site Trips Since Joining the DIS in 2002 9/02 Port Orleans Riverside 9/05 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 12/06 Pop Century (60s)-DDP 9/07 Coronado Springs 11/07 All Star Sports-Thanksgiving 9/08 Pop Century (90s)-FDDP 11/08 Yacht Club-Thanksgiving 5/09 All Star Sports 9/09 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 9/10 Pop Century (90s) 11/10 Pop Century (80s) 3/11 Pop Century (70s) 9/11 Pop Century (60s) 9/12 Pop Century (90s) 4/13 Caribbean Beach 9/13 Pop Century (60s) 3/14 All Star Music
Disney845 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
serene56
DIS Veteran

whew i agree i think that is some serious undertaking i take it your other half will be doing the drive earlly in the am after leaving the park at midnight and making your way back to your hotel.

arriving for your cruise travel weary on top of excitment.

you will waste your entire first day on the cruise tired
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
LibrarianBecky
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the advice. I'm not 100% sold on this plan yet, so I really do appreciate it. I'll be honest, though, the idea of getting this extra Disney bonus has me really excited.

The only actual expense from this side trip would be the cost of tickets (which I have Disney rewards to cover about 1/2) and the cost of tolls/gas from Orlando to Miami. Regardless of whether we go to Orlando or not, we will be flying into Florida on Friday, staying at a hotel, and transferring to the port of Miami. So, in my mind, all of those expenses are fixed. Because of the higher cost of flying into Miami and the hotels there , I don't think we will be spending anything extra to do MNSSHP.

The driving is a different matter. We will need to be up and moving pretty early to give ourselves plenty of time to get from Orlando to Miami. It's very possible that I'll be the one driving, and my DH will be taking a cat nap. I'm the morning person. I do think one of the things I haven't wrapped my head around is how much traffic there will be. We are not used to driving in large cities. We live in a fairly rural area. The idea of fighting traffic at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning is unheard of for us. This is probably an aspect that I am underestimating, to be honest. I had someone else tell me that it would be easier/better for us to drive the Miami airport to return our rental car, instead of Port of Miami. We can get a taxi or shuttle from the airport and miss some of the downtown driving. Do you think that is accurate?

We probably will be tired that first day on the cruise because of the excitement of the day before. I'm okay with that. We got to go to Disney for the first and only time two years ago. It was wonderful! I'm sure we will go again someday....but the idea of getting even a night of that special kind of Disney excitement is probably worth the extra hassle it will be for me.

I think your advice to stay on site is good. We would get free parking at the park then, right? Maybe Pop would be a good choice.

Thank you again.

Our first trip was September 2011--wonderful trip, very magical
LibrarianBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
KDsmommy
Earning My Ears

We live in Ft Lauderdale and make the drive to Orlando often. IMO it's not bad at all. I would most definitely recommend taking the Turnpike from Orlando to Miami. You won't have much traffic Saturday morning in Orlando, but the PP is right that once you hit West Palm Beach the traffic really increases. I would not try to drop off the rental at the airport, that place is just nuts. Just be sure you have a good GPS or map app on your phone and you'll be fine getting to the port.

Feel free to ask me any other questions...have fun!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Disney845
is there a tag fairy epidemic in progress?
I swear to tell the truth...the whole truth...and nothing but the truth!
Loves to shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianBecky View Post

I think your advice to stay on site is good. We would get free parking at the park then, right? Maybe Pop would be a good choice.
Yes. When you stay on site at a Disney resort you get free parking at the theme parks. However you may wish to just take a resort park bus to MK for the party (to save the hassle of driving yourself).

If you consider going that route, you might want to price out the cost of doing ME (free) from the airport to the Disney Resort you stay in and then getting a rental car while on Disney property. There are several location you can rent a car at Disney. The Car Care Center has a shuttle to and from the resorts, also depending if you stay elsewhere on property, you can also rent at the Dolphin and at several of the DTD hotels. Both the Car Care Center and Dolphin rent Alamo and National I believe, and others throughout DTD hotels include Budget, Enterprise, Avis, and Dollar. I am not sure of the rental hours though, so picking up a car very early in the morning may not work?

Alternately, there are Cruise Shuttles you can take from the Orlando area to the Port of Miami. This could save you the concern of driving yourself in a high traffic area you are unfamiliar with.
WDW On Site Trips Since Joining the DIS in 2002 9/02 Port Orleans Riverside 9/05 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 12/06 Pop Century (60s)-DDP 9/07 Coronado Springs 11/07 All Star Sports-Thanksgiving 9/08 Pop Century (90s)-FDDP 11/08 Yacht Club-Thanksgiving 5/09 All Star Sports 9/09 Pop Century (50s)-FDDP 9/10 Pop Century (90s) 11/10 Pop Century (80s) 3/11 Pop Century (70s) 9/11 Pop Century (60s) 9/12 Pop Century (90s) 4/13 Caribbean Beach 9/13 Pop Century (60s) 3/14 All Star Music
Disney845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
serene56
DIS Veteran

what is the price of a one way flight from mco to mia