Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
cltk78
Mouseketeer

3 varieties of tomatoes
green, yellow, & red bell peppers
2 varieties of spinach
sweet corn
2 varieties of blueberries

Me 35yo DH 35yo DS 9yo DS 5yo Furbaby 1yo

November/December 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge September 2006: Tokyo Disneyland September 2004: All-Star Music May & September 2003: All-Star Movies December 2001: Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon) June 1997, June 1987, & June 1982: Off-site
cltk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
ah1126
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
It's rainy and cold day today, since I can't be out in the garden, I thought I would talk about it!
What are you planting this year?
I'm trying potatoes for the first time, carrots, celery, lots of onions peppers and eggplant (later in the season for us) several kinds of tomatoes, strawberries (Back from last year ) and blueberries and blackberries that appeared to have surrived the deer mowing them down to stubs. Cabbages, Broccoli, squashes, melons, pretty much all the regulars! Lettuce I grow in the garage under grow lights and it is ready to start harvesting!
I started everything from seed this year, and I can't believe I ever bothered with buying plants - huge cost savings and it is much easier to extend the harvest by starting a few plants every week.
We've expanded our garden quite a bit to help out with food costs, and I'm trying to figure out some cost effective ways of keeping the critters out. We now have a high fence, so the deer shouldn't be a problem anymore (they did eat the tops off of ALL my spring flowers though ) but I have some critters that come in under (i assume) and things I plant will just be gone the next day... I'm putting a few things in containers to help with that.
The kids and I made some "pots" out newspaper, so we can transplant directly to
the garden- worked well and was free!
Can't wait for it to get warmer! So what are you growing this year?
My Mom has a plastic owl on the top of her garden fence, and some plastic snakes on the ground to help keep the critters out.

Most years I plant tomatoes, but we are going to be moving soon, so I didn't plant anything this year.
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
dhuba
Mouseketeer

I will be planting tomatillos ,poblano peppers, jalapenos, several kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, banana peppers, zucchini. I wish my garden was bigger, but when we first decided to try one a few years ago, we had to put one in with an 8 ft high fence because of the deer, which come through every night, so we only made it so big and now that I want to plant more, I don't have the heart to ask my husband expand it. He just has so many other chores to do and works long hours. There is no way I can have anything not fenced in. He made ours like an outside room with a door to get in. The critters eat almost anything, even my roses get chomped to the ground. I have an herb garden next to the house that isn't fenced and they don't seem to bother that though.
dhuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #19
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuba View Post
I will be planting tomatillos ,poblano peppers, jalapenos, several kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, banana peppers, zucchini. I wish my garden was bigger, but when we first decided to try one a few years ago, we had to put one in with an 8 ft high fence because of the deer, which come through every night, so we only made it so big and now that I want to plant more, I don't have the heart to ask my husband expand it. He just has so many other chores to do and works long hours. There is no way I can have anything not fenced in. He made ours like an outside room with a door to get in. The critters eat almost anything, even my roses get chomped to the ground. I have an herb garden next to the house that isn't fenced and they don't seem to bother that though.
supposedly they don't like things with strong odor- but I plant all things that are "Deer resistant" around my house and when they are hungry enough, like in the early spring and late fall they will chow down on anything.
I just ripped out my hubby's small fence - but this time I made a moveable one using panels from 3 dog runs/kennels (didn't use all the panels). Now I can adjust the size, if I want to go back to a smaller one, or just put it away if I skip a season, or don't want to look at it all winter. I do need to burry a small piece of fencing underground to help with the little critters though so that will still be some work to move.
I'm also doing some things in containers- I've had luck with tomatoes and peppers in those and I just keep them up against the house near the backdoor and the deer leave them alone. Maybe that would work for you? The berry plants I cover in their own individual fencing in the spring and it works pretty well. But they all get mowed down in the late fall. Too bad I can't train them to selectively prune!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
cheap traveler
DIS Veteran

Location: A tiny town not even on the map, between Albany and NYC

I plan to plant:

Tomatoes
Bell peppers
bush beans
cucumbers (first time)
mini pumpkins (letting them climb the fence)
pumpkins - only if I can find netting to protect them from the deer
lots of flowers this year - kid's request

All of this (except the big pumpkins) is going in a 6x6 raised bed. My fence is 3' tall, and last year the deer pushed the top down and ate over the top lol. This year I used taller, stronger fence posts and might string fishing line over the top to keep them out. The big pumpkings I'm going to try and plant on a little hill near my driveway. My kids really want to grow pumpkins, but they take over the garden! I'm looking for some sort of netting to lay on the ground over the plants, because once the flowers grow the deer will have a feast!

My only problem so far this year is my seedlings. I've planted pepper and tomato seeds inside, and they sprouted beautifully, grew to about an inch, and then all died! My last pepper plant is drooping as we speak. I've planted them all again (along with some cucumbers) and have my fingers crossed!

It's been around 70 during the day here, but nights are down to 40 so I can't plant anything in the ground yet
I would have planted lettuce and spinach, but my lettuce always gets soggy in July so I skipped it this year.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm doing potatoes in buckets this year! First time with potatoes, and I'm so excited to try it!! I can't really grow anything underground because my soil is pretty hard, so I'm going with the buckets.

Me31 DD10 DD7
cheap traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap traveler View Post
I plan to plant:

Tomatoes
Bell peppers
bush beans
cucumbers (first time)
mini pumpkins (letting them climb the fence)
pumpkins - only if I can find netting to protect them from the deer
lots of flowers this year - kid's request

All of this (except the big pumpkins) is going in a 6x6 raised bed. My fence is 3' tall, and last year the deer pushed the top down and ate over the top lol. This year I used taller, stronger fence posts and might string fishing line over the top to keep them out. The big pumpkings I'm going to try and plant on a little hill near my driveway. My kids really want to grow pumpkins, but they take over the garden! I'm looking for some sort of netting to lay on the ground over the plants, because once the flowers grow the deer will have a feast!

My only problem so far this year is my seedlings. I've planted pepper and tomato seeds inside, and they sprouted beautifully, grew to about an inch, and then all died! My last pepper plant is drooping as we speak. I've planted them all again (along with some cucumbers) and have my fingers crossed!

It's been around 70 during the day here, but nights are down to 40 so I can't plant anything in the ground yet
I would have planted lettuce and spinach, but my lettuce always gets soggy in July so I skipped it this year.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm doing potatoes in buckets this year! First time with potatoes, and I'm so excited to try it!! I can't really grow anything underground because my soil is pretty hard, so I'm going with the buckets.
Same things happening to my tomato and pepper seeds! They all sprouted, now about half of them have shriveled up leaves. They are still alive so i'm hoping that they'll come around. Don't know what happened this year, I plant them every year!

Besides those, I have cucumbers, garden beans, lettuce, broccoli and carrots started. Have 3 new raised beds this year that DH just built this weekend. Dirt to be delivered this week. My thumb is not green, but I keep trying. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
Sandy61
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
Oh, I forgot, last summer my kids planted the seeds from a watermelon they were eating and it actually sprouted.
We do this every year with pumpkins when we carve them for Halloween. We let the seeds dry and then put them in an envelope to keep for spring planting.

I went out today and found my tulips chomped to the ground. And now we are expecting snow!
Sandy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

well, we live on a farm, but due to dry summers we tend to have problems in our garden.
So we tore it all up this year and are putting in raised beds (4 x 8 and 26" tall).
That's going to take a while considering everything else we have going on (we both work full time off farm and then farm pecans, goats, chickens).

But I just finished up a really big bowl of fresh asparagus from our 20 year old asparagus patch, so I highly recommend that as the best perennial veggie. So I guess our garden is active even now, without the raised beds in.

My biggest excitement, garden-wise, is working with local community partners to bring a community garden to a local public housing complex.

We just got a $400 grant to start a container garden for youth.
I have 8 master gardeners coming to teach the kids all about gardening.
My part is the nutrition education and physical activity and teaching them how to use their harvest.

SO excited how God is pulling all of the pieces together- volunteers, apartment manager approval, funding, camp counselors- the whole thing!

I can't wait to watch the kids harvest some pole beans and tomatoes!

It's going to be a busy summer

yep
goodfood4ursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfood4ursoul View Post
My biggest excitement, garden-wise, is working with local community partners to bring a community garden to a local public housing complex.

We just got a $400 grant to start a container garden for youth.
I have 8 master gardeners coming to teach the kids all about gardening.
My part is the nutrition education and physical activity and teaching them how to use their harvest.

SO excited how God is pulling all of the pieces together- volunteers, apartment manager approval, funding, camp counselors- the whole thing!
How did you go about getting that started? My DD is interested in doing something similar at our church in support of the newly-established food bank and she's going to raise the issue at an NJHS meeting later this week but she's a little overwhelmed by the planning involved.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
How did you go about getting that started? My DD is interested in doing something similar at our church in support of the newly-established food bank and she's going to raise the issue at an NJHS meeting later this week but she's a little overwhelmed by the planning involved.
The post you are referrencing is awesome, and I don't have info specific to that, but if she is overwhelmed by the planning she could organize something like this among other people in your church who garden: we plant a row every year for the hungry in our area. We just bring a bag or two (or a lot more when zucchinis and tomatoes are in!) down to our food bank on distribution day. Little tougher this year because they are only open one day a month now. But I think in most areas every week or every other is more normal. If everyone who gardens commited to a row/ or even a few plants you could really have a big harvest to donate!

Just wanted to add more than half of the people receiving food at our food bank are seniors- but I see the real value, especially if you have a large youth population, receiving the instruction on gardening, getting physical, getting connected to the food they eat etc. Mine is just an alternate lower stress idea.

Last edited by pocomom; 05-03-2013 at 07:48 AM.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
sugarnspicex4
Mouseketeer

We have planted WAY too many tomatoes. Like 100 plants. DH got a little carried away. We started them out as seedlings in the garage under flourescent lights, but then March came around and he panicked, thinking our seedlings were too little. So on a trip to Home Depot he bought a few flats as well. He loves his tomatoes! Good thing I have a canner and a saucer to preserve the surplus.

We also should have a decent blackberry patch this year. The plants have been in the ground for 2 years, but last year's harvest was pretty pathetic. I've also planted some lettuce, zucchini, peppers and basil.

sugarnspicex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
MissBritt
It's a small, small world.

I am 2 hours from WDW and started all but tomato from seeds in March. We have a small plot in the yard that we tried to work with in the fall but we lost all but carrots and spinach to frost. I know next to nothing about gardening but am excited to be caging things this weekend if it ever stops raining. We have 7 tomato plants (lost the 8th when transplanting), a single bell pepper plant in a pot, green beans, carrots, a few rows of spinach and mixed romaine, 8 or so broccoli that sprouted and survived transplanting (they were heartier in the fall when transplanting), and a row each of squash and zucchini. I'd like to add pumpkins in the fall, and more tomatoes. I also would like onions but the ones last fall were crap and I'm not sure I want to waste the time or space.

December 2009-Port Orleans Riverside DXDDP
January 2010-All Star Sports QSDP
December 2010- Coronado Springs DDP
December 2011- POP Century

MK 9Xs, HS 2Xs, EP 2Xs, AK 3Xs, BB 1Xs, CdS 1Xs
MissBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
The first thing I would say is that planning something like this can be overwhelming as you said, but it's a lot like commuting to work.

You don't wait to leave until all the traffic lights between work and home are green.
All the lights will never be green at the same time- you have to start somewhere.
You get to the first light and wait for it to turn green. maybe the second light is green already. But you continue on your way, thinking ahead and addressing each concern as it arises.

I would suggest you start by contacting your local Cooperative Extension and asking about community gardens in your county.

I work for our state Cooperative Extension, so I am plugged into an ongoing research study via my supervisor.

My part is to teach nutrition education to limited resource kids.
But I have learned through the years that so much more can be accomplished if you partner with others.

The kids at this particular site asked about gardening last summer, but it was far too late to do anything about it then.

It's taken TWO MONTHS of lead time to get a green light from the apartment complex corporation, even though the site manager was two thumbs up from the get-go.

So first, you need permission from the site owner.
Second, you need volunteers to teach if teaching is the goal.

If this is a project to donate the produce you are looking for volunteers to work alongside your DD. It helps to start the volunteer ball rolling early.
I had 8 teaching volunteers by the second week of the planning process, but am still looking for my camp counselor volunteers to help with the rest of my educational programming.
I know God will provide.

For the record, in our on site community garden, the kids will be keeping up the garden, with help from their parents. We're going to recruit a community member to help folks with weighing in their harvest and logging it- another part of this research project

I had no idea how in the world we would fund a container garden.
The site manager offered that if we got a green light on an in ground garden, her husband would plow it, and she would help with a rain barrel and some fencing- things she already had at home (we are in a rural area).
Master Gardeners volunteered seeds.
We would need tools but I figured to bring mine from home if I had to and use them there.
But funding pots and soil and seeds and plants? No earthly idea where the money would come from.

I am getting a lot of help because of where this garden is located and what its purpose is- to teach not just nutrition but self-sufficiency, and hands on life science, and to help reduce grocery costs for the families who get involved.

But the grant money is because of the research project that is associated with my program.
The researchers from our land grant university are looking for correlations between kids and gardens and reducing obesity, especially within the limited resource populations where access to fresh produce is limited.

To me, it really is a God thing. He has provided it all, and will continue to do so.

For your DD's purposes, I would ask the congregation if anyone has any extra or old seeds they want to donate.
Many gardeners hold onto seeds they didn't use from past years, the germination rates are lower but often they do well enough.

If she gets permission and can publicize at church what she is trying to do, other members of your congregation might well be willing to come help rototill or plow or donate their time or resources.

Good luck!

yep
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
The post you are referrencing is awesome, and I don't have info specific to that, but if she is overwhelmed by the planning she could organize something like this among other people in your church who garden: we plant a row every year for the hungry in our area. We just bring a bag or two (or a lot more when zucchinis and tomatoes are in!) down to our food bank on distribution day. Little tougher this year because they are only open one day a month now. But I think in most areas every week or every other is more normal. If everyone who gardens commited to a row/ or even a few plants you could really have a big harvest to donate!

Just wanted to add more than half of the people receiving food at our food bank are seniors- but I see the real value, especially if you have a large youth population, receiving the instruction on gardening, getting physical, getting connected to the food they eat etc. Mine is just an alternate lower stress idea.
YES! This is a fantastic idea- with less hoops to jump through, this late in the year.

yep
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #30
rev02a
Dreaming of Beach Club

If it ever stops snowing (I'm in Colorado and we are having an extended winter ):
- Corn
- Lettuce and spinach
- An assortment of beans
- Squash (assortment) and zucchini
- Potatoes
- Cucumbers
- Carrots
- Onions
- Tomatoes
- Asparagus (but the snow keeps killing it... )

And for the first time: Brussels sprouts... any one had experience with these?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: