Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Resort-itis Strikes Again...Opinions? **UPDATE! HELP Post #8**

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have Bonnet Creek reserved because we thought we wanted the kitchen and extra space. But I'm itching to stay at a Disney resort. We will be celebrating 1 year together in August, the reason for the trip.

I did some calculating and POR is a cheaper than our original plan! Adding the dining plan comes out to $220 more than our current resort/ticket combo I had planned. For $200 more than that, we could stay at AKL. He's been twice, both with me, and the parks we will visit are DHS and AK plus a day at DisneyQuest. I'd like to stay at a resort with good theming, but also don't want to break the bank too much (otherwise, we'd be at the Poly!). So between POR and AKL and a $200 price difference between the two, which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Last edited by Wonders10; 05-01-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

I am trying POR in two weeks, but...AKL! I just always thought the theming looked fun. And only $200 to upgrade?? How did you find that!

But, one disadvantage would be AKL's location. It is closest to AK of course, and neither resort is close to MK. But POR is pretty close to both Ep and HS and has the boat to DTD.

I have stayed at values and at deluxes, I honestly am not super picky with levels, but AKL does look to have a more awe inspiring vibe.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
bennifer
Mouseketeer

If you are only visiting AK and HS, AKL for sure!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
I am trying POR in two weeks, but...AKL! I just always thought the theming looked fun. And only $200 to upgrade?? How did you find that!

But, one disadvantage would be AKL's location. It is closest to AK of course, and neither resort is close to MK. But POR is pretty close to both Ep and HS and has the boat to DTD.

I have stayed at values and at deluxes, I honestly am not super picky with levels, but AKL does look to have a more awe inspiring vibe.
yea I am wondering this too ... how only $200 for AKL ???
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! Still deciding...

Not sure why AKL is only $200 more than POR. It is a Florida resident discounted package so maybe the discount on AKL is steeper than POR's?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

If you think you might be going to DTD a few evenings then I would definitely book POR. The boat ride is awesome!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
cmdg
Mouseketeer

100% AKL... what a great deal!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Boo, my stupid DBF has changed his mind about switching resorts so we are staying at Bonnet Creek. He isn't the best sleeper sometimes and really likes the idea of having a room he can go to that won't bother me if he's awake. Oh well. I'm trying to plan a short June trip, maybe I'll get a package for that!

Thanks for your help! I was leaning towards AKL if that makes a difference!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Update - help!

Hi everyone! I'm back and I'm driving myself nuts with this and my boyfriend is only adding to this nuttiness by changing his mind back and forth. So I'm coming to you DISers for help!

As I said before, we have 3 nights booked in a 2-bdrm at Bonnet Creek and are planning on 2 days in parks (no hopping) and DisneyQuest. The total for this a la carte set up is $1007 PLUS the cost of our meals.

Now, if we stay on WDW property and get a Magic Your Way Package with 2-day tickets AND the dining plan, the cost is as follows:

POR Standard $1253.92
AKL Standard $1402.06

Things you should know:
*We have 1 table service meal planned per day thus far regardless of resort
*DBF was having some sleep issues which are now under control at the moment, hence the reasoning initially for the extra space so he wouldn't bother me if he could not sleep.
*We'll probably drive to the parks either way which we'd have to pay for if we chose to stay at Bonnet Creek ($14/day I believe).
*We'll still need to pay for breakfast (the cheapest meal of the day), but I'm sure we could get things for the room or play with the package to make the most of it.

So there you go...share your thoughts! Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: