Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #3001
emlibs1mom
Earning My Ears

My family of 5 leaves for POR in 30 days. I've seen some say they've requested 2nd floor rooms. I know we'll be in Alligator Bayou and was wondering what you request and why. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #3002
dramaticmissy
Mouseketeer

wohoo down to a week before we are at POR

June 1976-My first trip!
March 2006 @ POP dd's 2nd birthday
August 2007 @ SSR 11 day trip
November 2008- POP dd's 7th birthday
May 2013 Port of Orleans Riverside- All girls week
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #3003
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

I can't stand the wait!!!!

Paid our trip off today and now I am going completely nuts!!! These next 45 days are going to D-R-A-G by so slowly!!!!!!!!!! First stay at POR and every time I look at everyone's pics I get even more anxious but I can't help myself!!!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #3004
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Just got free airfare on credit card points for 9/21-9/29. Now waiting for FD before booking a POR package. Our 20th anniversary is this summer, but will delay the celebration trip due to my job.

I asked DW if she wanted to do a cruise instead: nope - WDW again. No kids this time, as our kids are grown up and no more exchange students.

I work 7 days a week, 12 hours/day, between my day job and small business. I'm ready for a vacation!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #3005
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I've just posted the May 2013 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans Riverside. See the main Recreation Activities Schedule page for full-size PDF versions, or click on the image below.

The outdoor movies will start at 9pm and the daily campfires commence at 7pm this month.

Thank you so much for posting this! We leave in 12 days and this made me more excited!
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #3006
debedo
Earning My Ears

Sitting on the plane to Port Orleans !! Perfect timing too 6-9 inches of snow coming!!
POR 2013
POR/BWV 2014

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #3007
TarrahA
Mouseketeer

DanInMN, free dining will be available for booking May 9th for your dates Sept. Just giving an FYI for booking purposes in case you didn't already know Have fun & happy anniversary!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #3008
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlibs1mom View Post
My family of 5 leaves for POR in 30 days. I've seen some say they've requested 2nd floor rooms. I know we'll be in Alligator Bayou and was wondering what you request and why. Thanks!
I can't speak for everyone, but I always request highest possible floor to avoid the possibility of noisy neighbors above me.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #3009
amcn928
Earning My Ears

I've been reading these posts and had a question... The water view royal guest rooms....are they only on the second floor?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #3010
yespie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcn928 View Post
I've been reading these posts and had a question... The water view royal guest rooms....are they only on the second floor?
1. Go to this website: http://www.portorleans.org/royal-rooms.php

2. Scroll down to Building Floorplans and Room Interior Layouts

3. Click on the Oak or Parterre buildings and you will see what types of rooms are located on each floor.

Lots of similar information is on the first page of this thread, check it out and you may find answers to similar questions about the resort.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #3011
Wismgari
Earning My Ears

I am back from my first ever trip to WDW and it was amazing!! I arrived back in the UK yesterday morning tired, confused and cold!!

POR was amazing - I loved everything about it and wish i had got to spend more time there! First off a huge thank you to Venom for his help with my room request - I received a complimentary upgrade from GV to preferred! I was in building 27 and it was a great location for me - set round the back so pretty quiet and not too long walk to get to anything (although my BF complained it was not that close to a bus stop as his feet hurt after long days in the parks - it was only a 5 minute walk!!).

Our room was lovely - I can see how storage would be a problem for larger families but with the two of us we just lived out of our suitcases which we placed on the seat were the trundle bed would pull out from. We then stored bits and pieces on the spare bed and the table. Loved the theming of the room. Only slight complaints would be with the neighbours... as we were there for 2 weeks we had different neighbours - one lot liked really loud TV until very late at night which was a pain (but luckily they didn't stay long!). Also for the last few nights there was a big group nearby who sat out the front of their rooms talking and listening to music until the early hours... luckily we could barely hear them from our room but if we had been closer to them I would have complained! The last few mornings we had kids running part our door and screaming from about 6.30am as well... We could also hear the toilet flushing and the shower running from next door which isn't ideal when I am a light sleeper but I assume that is the same everywhere!

The grounds were gorgeous - the river and all the gardens were really lovely. I didn't explore over by the mansions very much but I saw the area from the buses and when I walked to FQ - AB was more my thing but the mansions were very well themed and very pretty too. The walk to FQ was lovely, very pretty.

The food court I thought was good - it did get very busy though. The create your own pasta was good - although I did notice a difference in quality between the different people cooking it. One guy cooked it 3 times I ate there and he was great. One time a lady cooked it and firstly she forgot my chicken (they fried me some up when I told them which was fine) but it was also swimming in oil so I couldn't eat half of it - not too much of a problem as the portion was huge!! The bakery was also really good

We didn't have any big problems with the buses. We always got on at the South Depot - Magic Kingdom buses were always busy in the morning and quite often not everyone waiting managed to get on the bus, but they seemed very good at sending another bus out straight away if that happened. One morning we were waiting for a different bus and after watching a full MK bus leave we saw another 2 turn up within 5 minutes to pick up the rest of the guests!! Getting back from the park was fine, apart from after Wishes at MK, which we were expecting! We hopped on a bus to FQ instead and walked... the line for POR was crazy!!

Overall I loved the resort and would go back, although I may have to try somewhere new next time just so I can compare!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #3012
myjourney
DIS Veteran

Bikes at POR

I asked this a while back but did not get a response so I thought I would try again. We are driving down and can bring a couple of bikes for the grand-kids. Would they be allowed to ride them at POR or can you only use their rental bikes?

Oct 2014 Fort Wilderness 14 nights
Oct 2013 Fort Wilderness 9 nights
May 2013 4 nights AKL, 5 nights at POR (love Yeeha Bob!)
May 2012 5 nights AKL, 3 nights BCV, and 4 nights SSR TH
March 2011 SSR and POR
October 2010 CSR
May 2010 Kidani Village and Saratoga Spring Resort
Oct 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs Resort
June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #3013
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

Bike question I want to know that too?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #3014
zabache
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I am back from my first ever trip to WDW and it was amazing!! I arrived back in the UK yesterday morning tired, confused and cold!!

POR was amazing - I loved everything about it and wish i had got to spend more time there! First off a huge thank you to Venom for his help with my room request - I received a complimentary upgrade from GV to preferred! I was in building 27 and it was a great location for me - set round the back so pretty quiet and not too long walk to get to anything (although my BF complained it was not that close to a bus stop as his feet hurt after long days in the parks - it was only a 5 minute walk!!).

Our room was lovely - I can see how storage would be a problem for larger families but with the two of us we just lived out of our suitcases which we placed on the seat were the trundle bed would pull out from. We then stored bits and pieces on the spare bed and the table. Loved the theming of the room. Only slight complaints would be with the neighbours... as we were there for 2 weeks we had different neighbours - one lot liked really loud TV until very late at night which was a pain (but luckily they didn't stay long!). Also for the last few nights there was a big group nearby who sat out the front of their rooms talking and listening to music until the early hours... luckily we could barely hear them from our room but if we had been closer to them I would have complained! The last few mornings we had kids running part our door and screaming from about 6.30am as well... We could also hear the toilet flushing and the shower running from next door which isn't ideal when I am a light sleeper but I assume that is the same everywhere!

The grounds were gorgeous - the river and all the gardens were really lovely. I didn't explore over by the mansions very much but I saw the area from the buses and when I walked to FQ - AB was more my thing but the mansions were very well themed and very pretty too. The walk to FQ was lovely, very pretty.

The food court I thought was good - it did get very busy though. The create your own pasta was good - although I did notice a difference in quality between the different people cooking it. One guy cooked it 3 times I ate there and he was great. One time a lady cooked it and firstly she forgot my chicken (they fried me some up when I told them which was fine) but it was also swimming in oil so I couldn't eat half of it - not too much of a problem as the portion was huge!! The bakery was also really good

We didn't have any big problems with the buses. We always got on at the South Depot - Magic Kingdom buses were always busy in the morning and quite often not everyone waiting managed to get on the bus, but they seemed very good at sending another bus out straight away if that happened. One morning we were waiting for a different bus and after watching a full MK bus leave we saw another 2 turn up within 5 minutes to pick up the rest of the guests!! Getting back from the park was fine, apart from after Wishes at MK, which we were expecting! We hopped on a bus to FQ instead and walked... the line for POR was crazy!!

Overall I loved the resort and would go back, although I may have to try somewhere new next time just so I can compare!!
Great report.
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a Royal Room!Pics of Trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
December 17-24, 2014 All Star Sports
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #3015
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by debedo View Post
Sitting on the plane to Port Orleans !!
There's a plane to Port Orleans now? Wow, that'll save some time messing around with Magical Express.... I bet it's a seaplane and they'll land it on the Sassagoula River, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjourney View Post
We are driving down and can bring a couple of bikes for the grand-kids. Would they be allowed to ride them at POR or can you only use their rental bikes?
I don't see why not, just as long as they stay on the paved resort pathways and don't go on the road system or the lawn areas. I can't say I've ever tried it, but if you've got the space in the car I'd say give it a go.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: