Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Basement Water Disaster-Update

I have a natural spring that runs through a drain system in my basement. It drains to a sump pit and is sucked up and pushed out to the municipal sewer. My sump pump died and the drain backed up and water started coming out. This morning there was 14-18 inches water in the entire basement.

I have an endorsement on my insurance that states "We pay up to $2,500 for direct physical loss to covered property caused by water which backs up through sewers or drains." The only thing that is listed that nullifies the endorsement is negligence.

So I called the insurance claim person and started to explain what happened. She said, oh, your the 3rd call today, everyone has water leaking into their basements. It's not covered. So I told her explicitly that the water was not leaking or seeping in the basement, that I had had an inspection 2 years ago and an appriasal 2 weeks ago and neither came up with any water issues. I explained the drainage system and exactly what happened. She talked with the manager and they are going to send an adjuster.

So, I'm out a water heater, possibly a washer and dryer (they told me to wait a week to try them out) and a whole bunch of clothing. I'm hoping that they inturrpert this the way I do. The way I look at it is that it's water and it became backed up through a drain. Anyone with a similar problem dealt with their insurance? How did it go?

Also, our monthly "dump day" is Wednesday. I would love to get rid of these clothes and other ruined items then if I could. Do I have to wait for the adjuster to come or would an itemized description and pictures work? I set everything out in lots, like all t-shirts, all pants, all cami's and tank tops and srubs and took pictures. The lighter coloered peices show significant discoloring.

Last edited by smokeyblue; 05-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
smokeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

That's a tough one because but for the fact that your sump pump broke(could be considered negligence for not making sure it was in working order) you would not have flooded, however it is ground water & ground water is almost never covered. I feel your pain.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We had a basement flood in our previous home after a complete sump pump failure. Now, I have no idea if your American insurance laws are different than ours here in the Great White North, but because it was not seepage that caused the flood, our insurance covered the repairs to the house and the replacement of all items which were destroyed or damaged.

We didn't have as much water in the basement as you have, but we still had to replace the drywall in all rooms to ensure that mold did not begin to grow. It was a big, expensive job that took many weeks to rectify.

We had to not touch anything until the site was evaluated by an adjuster. I would hold tight on moving or disposing of anything until the insurance company has had an opportunity to carry out their own assessment. Still take pictures (so you have them after the fact) but I would leave the basement as-is for the adjuster to see himself (or herself).

We installed a battery back-up sump pump after that disaster, and it was the best $800 we ever spent. Knowing that the battery operated unit would kick in in the event that the hardwired unit failed or lost power was peace of mind that you couldn't put a price on.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
msmayor
DIS Veteran

I know of almost no standard homeowner's policy that will cover water in a basement unless some major object plows a hole in your house on a rainy day and water gets in your basement.

We have a basement with an extensive french drain system and two sump pumps. One of our sumps failed a few years ago and we were covered, but ONLY because we had a specific sump pump rider on our policy.

We pay less than $30/year for this coverage and it is worth every penny.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmayor View Post
I know of almost no standard homeowner's policy that will cover water in a basement unless some major object plows a hole in your house on a rainy day and water gets in your basement.

We have a basement with an extensive french drain system and two sump pumps. One of our sumps failed a few years ago and we were covered, but ONLY because we had a specific sump pump rider on our policy.

We pay less than $30/year for this coverage and it is worth every penny.
I guess that's what's confusing about my policy. My old policy had specific language about failed sump pumps not being covered unless you had the rider. This policy has absolutely no mention of sump pumps in any way shape or form. I'm hoping the drain back up endorsement will cover it.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
taitai
DIS Veteran

Did you have a battery back up on your sump pump? If that failed as well, you might be lucky in terms of getting it covered. However, not having one could be seen as negligence. Good luck.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
pocomom
Brr.....

the sump pump failed in our house within weeks of moving in.. foot of water in the basement did mostly sentimental damage- that is where my kids baby books and other things I didn't have a place for yet were being stored. I don't have advice, although we did get a back-up sump pump, but just wanted to say I know it's awful and I'm sorry you are having to deal with it!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Yikes, OP!! What a bummer!!!

My DS had a sump pump failure a few years ago and it was covered by her insurance co. It seeped into a carpeted, finished living area so the damage and repairs were extensive.

I would NOT discard anything until an adjuster had a chance to see the damage first hand. At the very least, I'd take lots and lots of pictures.

Good luck!
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

We have had our share of sump pump floods here. Even if the sump pump is working, we get long blackouts here, yes, Sandy was 8 days, but even before that, we get 2-4 day losses of electricity. We have a generator now, always ready to get the sump pump up in those cases. Also, sometimes the sump pump discharge thing slips off the hose thing inside the hole and you flood too.

One wonderful little item that has saved us a few times is a LEAK FROG. that sucker screams like a banshee when the sump pump hold begins to over flow. they have them on Woot.com every few months, have tried other brands of alarms, but the Leak Frog is the best one we have found.

Good luck with the insurance claim, we never had a claim, our water is from the high water table in the spring, and sometimes fall. Our last flood about month ago was from a failed sump pump....... it was over 15 years old though.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I think I unfairly called this a disaster. It could have been worse. The plumber was unable to install a new pump right away, the one they brought was defective and the only one they had. At that point all the stores were closed and all I could do was wait until morning. The water raised 6-8 inches higher and my gas hot water was done for at that point. The were so great to me, they gave me the hot water heater at cost with free installation.

It's a bummer to lose a bunch of clothes, but they were honestly not my favorites and a lot of them are a size too small. There were a few items that I will miss though. It will suck if the washer and dryer are done for. Hopefully I'll find a darn good sale if they are toast!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Do not turn on electrical or electronic equipment (washing machine, television, cell phone, etc.) that got soaked before it has a chance to dry out, which could take more than 10 days. Unplug it or take out the battery as applicable.

In the OP's case, I would say that negligence is subject to interpretation and analysis of the specific facts. I do not consider sudden failure of what appears to be a perfectly normal sump pump to be due to negligence.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Are you allowed to pump a drain into your sewer there?
I know both the house I grew up in and where live now, that is against our sewer regulations so you may want to look into that. If it was that way when you moved in, a lot of people set up something like that not realizing it's not allowed. That could effect your claim.

Besides that, around here a drain back up means the drain actually backs up. (as in comes backwards up into the house) That is not the same as water from inside the house not being sent into the drain. It sounds like the water didn't come from the drain, it came from a spring into the dirt by the house, then your pump didn't put it into the drain in the first place. The situation sucks and I really feel for you, just try to think through and know responses to those ones in case they get brought up.

I like vacations.
mistysue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
smokeyblue
DIS Veteran

Update

The insurance paid my claim! It was a bit iffy if they were going to pay or not, but their adjuster really made some huge omissions bordering on lying on his report which I could otherwise substantiate through the plumber and photos.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I know someone whose basement flooded during TS Sandy and USAA paid their claim as a sump pump failure (power out) and not just a flood. Water was backing up from the sump pump into the basement initially before it started coming in everywhere. Gotta love USAA. We just had our roof replaced through USAA due to hail damage. We have a very large roof and the estimate was 18K.

We put a battery back up on our sump pump about 7 years ago (changed the battery once so far). Nice to have that for temporary power outages. Won't do much good after a storm like Sandy and days without power. Marine batteries only last so long.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

If the backup sump pump uses a 12 volt battery you could hook up your car to the sump pump battery when the latter gets low on juice and leave the engine running for a few hours at a stretch. Just be sure that the car is outdoors and not too close to any window. The wires don't have to be as heavy as jumper cable wires; I would suggest 10 gauge wire up to 50 feet and 8 gauge wire up to 100 feet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: