Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #2776
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by croach View Post
Booked the Poly for 2014 marathon weekend. Stayed there this year and loved it so much. Hopefully I will get Tahiti again or the Rapa Nui longhouse to be close to the monorail. Can't wait!
Can you tell me what the rate was for 2014?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #2777
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Two questions quickly - has the poly switched to joffery's coffee yet? And are the coffee makers different in the renovated rooms?

Obviously I need my coffee in the morning! Thanks!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2778
Alli76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post

Wait, WHAT???????????????????

A Cabana disappeared and the staff didn't know about it?

This is one of the weirdest things I've heard and Disney comes up with some doozies.

Is it Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa that disappeared (the one on the left or the right respectively)? Did they say anything about whether this was temporary or permenant?

I've got a regular cabana booked and I certainly hope they don't double book then find out I don't have one. It's the 'big' surprise for my daughter's birthday celebration in a few weeks. I don't even think it is worth calling and confirming though because the folks on the phone have such little information unless it is written down in the system. Since the folks AT THE POLY didn't notice a missing cabana, I have no faith that central reservations would know.
Cit is the one on the left as you are looking at the front of them and I finally found out someone who had some information!!

I guess a weather system cam through and damaged one of them. They have taken it completely offsite to do repairs. There is no information as to when it may be back.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #2779
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
We are thinking of going to WDW next August. We have previously been in April and October and frankly, we are a little worried about the weather in August. So I read you have been at least four times in August and stayed at Poly.

-How are the lines at the parks? Is it crazy busy or just mildly busy? Like 45 minute waits or over an hour?
-How crowded was the Poly pool in August? Could you find at least one chair?
-Is the weather so hot that you start getting heated by the time you reach your first ride at rope drop?
-Did you find that a lot of your park time was rained out?
-Any other August issues that we should be prepared for?

Sorry to ask you so may questions but we have never been to WDW during the summer months and I like to be prepared
Well we go mid to late August, and the later you go in the month the better the lines are. There is a noticeable difference once the local schools start back (this year is August 19th). Some of the lines for the major attractions can get pretty long in the afternoons but usually are not bad in the mornings and evenings. We usually just used FPs for the major attractions and I don't think we ever were in a line that was more than 20-25 mins. If they were longer than that we just bypassed that one. But during the middle of the afternoon the major attractions sometimes did have standby times of an hour or more posted.

We don't spend much time around the pool so hopefully someone else can tell you how busy it gets.

How hot it gets depends on how well you handle heat and humidity. We are used to heat and humidity during the summer so it doesn't bother us at Disney. We also only do TS restaurants so we aren't really out in the sun for long periods of time. If you slow down, stay hydrated, dress appropriately, make liberal use of the air conditioned places it isn't that hard to deal with the heat and humidity.

Park time should never be rained out. In four trips we have only used ponchos on one of them, and that trip it rained every day. Florida in August has normal afternoon and evening thunderstorms, sometimes they dump on you, sometimes they only dump across the street from you. On our other three trips it did rain occasionally, but usually only when we were inside or in a different park. Its just the luck of the draw. Take ponchos and wear appropriate shoes and the rain shouldn't be a significant problem. Rain tends to reduce the crowd level in the parks so it can be a good thing if you are prepared.

Actually I don't think there are any issues with going in August, I think it is one of the better times to go, especially once most of the schools have started. We don't go with kids so I don't know if there might be any specific issues related to kids.

I am sure there are others who would disagree with everything that I have posted but it is best to just find out for yourself if that time of year works for you and your family.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #2780
Polyonmymind
Earning My Ears

Hey hey...so my wife calls me, says "surprise! I just booked us 6 nights at the Poly Club level for the week of Memorial Day". Woo hoo!

I have stayed at Poly before, only place I will stay, but never at Club Level. We have a garden room. Would any one have any suggestions, comments or any insider tips I may need to know about? Are the rooms any larger than the regular non-club level rooms?

TIA!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #2781
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyonmymind View Post
Hey hey...so my wife calls me, says "surprise! I just booked us 6 nights at the Poly Club level for the week of Memorial Day". Woo hoo!

I have stayed at Poly before, only place I will stay, but never at Club Level. We have a garden room. Would any one have any suggestions, comments or any insider tips I may need to know about? Are the rooms any larger than the regular non-club level rooms?

TIA!
Congrats!!! You have an awesome wife .
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 11/14 - Split Stay???
Me DH DD22 DD16 Maud Marie

Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #2782
Polyonmymind
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Congrats!!! You have an awesome wife .
Yes, she is awesome. My 9 year old daughter is going to freak out.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #2783
jalaine
Mouseketeer

We've been here at the poly since last Friday staying through this Sunday! They're working on the refurbs every day if you're near a refurb resort, you can hear saws and minimal hammering, but really not a big deal. Some pathways are closed off by the longhouses that are closed. They were bringing new mattresses into tokelau today. This is our 4th stay at the poly and it's just as wonderful as always. If you have any questions, ill try and answer them!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2784
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyonmymind View Post

TIA!
Hawaii is one of the original buildings so it's rooms are the smaller sized standard rooms (unlike the bigger ones in Tokelau, Tahiti, and Rapa Nui). That might seem strange given the premium price, but Hawaii has arguably the best location of the Poly longhouses and among the best premium view rooms...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #2785
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

jw50 Thank you so much for answering all of my rambling questions. You were very helpful

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #2786
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

If anyone is there, can you post the new resort specific clothing merchandise. Someone mentioned some of it has arrived.
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2787
jalaine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
If anyone is there, can you post the new resort specific clothing merchandise. Someone mentioned some of it has arrived.
I can try! Is there an easy way to post pictures on here from my phone???? If so, I'd be happy to take some pics for you tomorrow! Spent a lot of time in Boutiki today
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #2788
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaine View Post
I can try! Is there an easy way to post pictures on here from my phone???? If so, I'd be happy to take some pics for you tomorrow! Spent a lot of time in Boutiki today
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Iphones

But if you will be taking pics of merchandise anyway, if you see the trading pins that are specific to the Poly, I'd love to see what they look like! I like to collect a pin from each resort I stay at, and unfortunately what I've seen online, I haven't been too impressed with. I'm not sure if they are the "current" ones, or not.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2789
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Hi! I was just curious if anyone has experience with staying at the Poly under a "RunDisney" discount? I will be running the Tower of Terror 10 miler this fall, and the Poly is a host resort. I was so excited when I saw that (I had originally booked at POFQ--but it seems they added Poly and WL to the list of Host resorts) because I had always wanted to stay at the Poly!

Anyway, I was just curious--since I am getting a discount for the race, do they tend to give people with those discounts the "worst" rooms? The discount only allows for "garden views"-you can't pay extra to upgrade...so I was just curious what the "absolute worst" I can expect, is? I will be checking in on Friday October 4th--and it looks like most of the renovations should be complete by then--so I'm thinking there is 0 chance of me getting an un-renovated room?

I've skimmed through a thread on the resort photos board that asked people to post their "worst room views"--I don't remember seeing any poly pics there--but like I said, I only skimmed through it, I might have missed something!

Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #2790
jalaine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Iphones

But if you will be taking pics of merchandise anyway, if you see the trading pins that are specific to the Poly, I'd love to see what they look like! I like to collect a pin from each resort I stay at, and unfortunately what I've seen online,

I haven't been too impressed with. I'm not sure if they are the "current" ones, or not.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Will do! If I can't figure out the phone thing, I'll post them when we get back over the weekend!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: